Plank Form

Options
This may be a dumb question, but I was hoping for a few thoughts on plank form. When I first started working out with a trainer, he indicated that it was easier to do planks when your weight is resting on your forearms than when your weight rests just on your hands (essentially, a locked push-up position). I just googled this, however, and a lot of websites appear to say the opposite -- it's easier to hold a push-up style plank. I'm leaning towards believing the web, but wanted to see if anyone on here had thoughts.

Replies

• cllmetatrsld
    cllmetatrsld Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am no expert by any means but I would think to lock into the pushup position would be bad for your elbows...like locking your knees. Same concept I would think...
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    No, it is much harder to do a plank on your forearms - engages the core much more. Doing it in push up form with your arms fully extended does not engage near as many core muscles.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've done both and its easier for me to hold a locked pushup form... its easier to hold my hips and tummy off the ground because your arms are helping to increase the distance from the floor.... when i'm on my elbows, if my hips dip, its done for so I have to hold my hips and tummy firmer so as not to dip.... a better workout and a little harder for me to hold ... :ohwell:
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Personally I find resting on the forearms MUCH easier.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I find resting on my forearms is a lot easier if you are doing the plank correctly.
  • aNewMiniMe
    aNewMiniMe Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I find that resting on my forearms is much more difficult because I can not stick my butt up in the air. :laugh: On your forearms you have to have good form. In the standard pose it is very easy to let your rear dip or stick up in the air unless you have a spotter who keeps your form accurate.

On a side note the forearm position is great for anyone with wrist issues.