Low Cheese Pizza Options

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Folks, I eat plenty of un-bastardized pizza. But, I like options and am seeking them. Sometimes I'm not super-duper hungry and will go for small amounts of the original, other times I'm really hungry AND in the mood for pizza. My appetite is variable and I'm flexible. Just looking for options....

This is just how I feel. I do not feel that real pizza is evil or whatever....I love it and I will never give it up. But variety and options are awesome, too. And yes, I honestly, legitimately loved the cauliflower crust. I will not apologize for that, just because other people think it sounds weird or isn't loyal to my relationship with real pizza. Real pizza and I have an understanding. I know open relationships aren't for everyone, but it works for us.

I think you've hit on some of the really workable solutions. Using less cheese, but focusing on high-flavor and good quality is really effective. Honestly, I've been using this approach with a lot of things and as long as the rest of the dish is good and flavorful, I miss it surprisingly little or not at all. Sometimes I miss it only during the preparation of the meal....and never think of it once while I'm eating. When I really want it, I have it, and that's fine too.

Last time I made pizza at home, I had a friend over who doesn't tolerate tomato sauces very well, so I made a simple white sauce with fresh garlic, black pepper, and fresh basil added...it made a very flavorful, rich-tasting base and I used very little cheese on mine just because of that. It was really good.

I think the nutritional yeast suggestion could be a good one - at least I would try it, but I haven't at this point.
    much less (about 1/4 or less of the typical American pie). It''l taste so good, you won't miss having a thick layer of tasteless goo. In America, more is considered better, but quantity usually forces big compromises in quality to keep the prices competitive.

I was in Rome last week and must have had pizza four or five times and it was incredible every time, but all totaled was still maybe only one tenth of the amount of fake part-skim crappy cheese you get on a single Papa John's pizza. Flavor is in quality ingredients. No quantity of so-so ingredients can make up for that. Toppings like fresh basil, wild mushrooms, or anything low cal and very flavorful can go a long way in making up for less cheese. Those porcini mushroom pizzas were just incredible with so much flavor.

Yes, I agree, with the disclaimer that I have never gotten to test this theory in Rome. : )
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    As much as I ADORE cheese, I've really had to teach myself to enjoy less of it!

I measure out what I want, and grate it on the small side of my grater. Smaller shreds go further...or at least trick my mind into that. :)

I also swear by parmsesan for pizza-type items. It stretches a lot further for the calories. Although, it doesn't get the gooey consistency...it does still taste delish.

Also this. I use a lot more shredded Parmesan than I used to and find that in some dishes, I'm just as satisfied with a tablespoon of this as with a much larger portion of another more calorie-dense cheese. And more finely grated cheese does cover really nicely.
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use a spicy tofu spread mixed with chilli paste. It does the cheese and tomatoey bit all in one fell swoop and tastes awesome.

OK yeah, sometimes I grate a bit of cheese over the top too. I'm only human.
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wanted to second the parmesan cheese – it's much more pungent than mozzarella, so a little goes a longer way. I also add Laughing Cow or low-fat cream cheese for creamy cheesiness with low-cal impact.

If I want super mucho mondo cheesiness, I scrap the crust and make my pizza in a portobello mushroom – then I load that mother up with all the cheese my macros can stand! Nom nom nom.