365 days consecutive logging! Going off the grid...

Options
mbrassette
mbrassette Posts: 15 Member
I made it every day for one full year. In that time, lost 49 lbs and have been holding current weight +/- 5lbs for 5 months now! Now I'll test myself to see if I actually learned anything. Starting tomorrow, no MFP logging or weighing in for 1 month! Will be back next month to see how I did. Goal is +/- 3lbs from current weight of 170. Wish me luck and good luck to those still going after it!

During the last 365 days I've logged 600 miles of running, burning 65,000 calories as a result! The running has been amazing (only started running 2 years ago) and that along with the consistent tracking with MFP have been the keys to my success. I highly recommend C25K for anyone considering running, and books by Jenny Hadfield and John Bingham are invaluable (Running for Mortals is great)!

See you in a month!

Replies

• Big_Daddy6
    Big_Daddy6 Posts: 188
    Options
    will stay tuned
  • mbrassette
    Options
    Well I survived my time away with no weigh-ins and no tracking for a month. During that time, I did unfortunately did indulge in more candy and sweets than I should have, so I've still got some work to do for sure! Knowing that I "purposely" did that some, I wasn't too upset when I weighed in this morning at 175.4lbs (5 week gain of 5.4lbs). Was above my target of 3lbs max gain by a bit.

So, I think next I'm going to start the weekly weigh-ins again to hold me accountable and see how that goes without the religious tracking. I may get back to that if I still struggle though!
  • natashaaevans
    natashaaevans Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    great idea! I do wonder how I will go keeping the weight off if I stopped logging. Good luck!!
  • Big_Daddy6
    Options
    I've been wondering how you made out....very interesting..
  • kaylanlynnNW
    kaylanlynnNW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think you shouldn't stop logging... if you make the mistake and mindlessly eat some you may gain more which can tend to be discouraging... I'd hate to see you gain more back... besides the tracking will only make you a better life! (just a thought)
  • mbrassette
    Options
    Hmmm...well that didn't go so well. A year later with on/off logging and I'm up about 20 lbs. Back to it...
  • BorntoROAR
    BorntoROAR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think daily logging is key.

I will do it forever.

Good luck to you!!!!
  • 86muffintop
    86muffintop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How awesome that you came back with an update! Good luck!
  • backtoabike
    Options
    Well I survived my time away with no weigh-ins and no tracking for a month. During that time, I did unfortunately did indulge in more candy and sweets than I should have, so I've still got some work to do for sure! Knowing that I "purposely" did that some, I wasn't too upset when I weighed in this morning at 175.4lbs (5 week gain of 5.4lbs). Was above my target of 3lbs max gain by a bit.

So, I think next I'm going to start the weekly weigh-ins again to hold me accountable and see how that goes without the religious tracking. I may get back to that if I still struggle though!

Looks like your working on a lifestyle change and not a diet! WTG!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...well that didn't go so well. A year later with on/off logging and I'm up about 20 lbs. Back to it...

This thread just cracked me up! Hey, you know how to succeed and you know you've done it before. Good luck getting back on track!
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yes, thanks for letting us know how it went. I am not to goal yet, but close and want to lower my goal now that i see where i am near goal. As far as logging - i think i might be in this for life!
    Good luck - you did it before - i know you can do it again.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I learned my lesson too. I've been losing and gaining the same 45 lbs since 2010. Down when I log and up when I don't.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    WOW. What a great attitude. GOOD luck in your future! Life lessons... :wink:
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

The same thing happened to me. I gained #18 of the nearly #40 I lost when I quit tracking. I'm just not ready to be on my own yet . . .
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi! Well, at least you least now know what works for you :happy: I too have now realised I will need to log forever after regaining 20 kilos I lost (and more!!).
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    bump.... good luck
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

That matches my previous experience... :-(

Here's a suggestion: don't *log* regularly, but *weigh* regularly, and calculate your exponentially smoothed, weighted average weight according to John Walker's method in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/).

If your average ever gets more than 2-3 lbs. over your goal, go back to logging a calorie deficit until it's back under control. That's what Walker recommends in the chapter "Perfect Weight Forever." By using the weighted average as an early warning system, you can catch unintended gains early and nip them in the bud, before they require serious dieting to eliminate.

(Once you've mastered Walker, you can graduate to Richard Watson, _The Philosopher's Diet_, which is ostensibly about weight loss, but really about far more important things.)
  • Mbrowne55
    Mbrowne55 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow. Love your honesty. Ive been away since mid May and regained 13. Jeesh. I think it's logging forever for some of us! Good for you, getting back on board. Me too.
  • Justsimply67
    Options

Funny...not the gain, just the way you said it. At least you came back to what you know works before things got too crazy.
  • mbrassette
    Options
    Thanks for the positive comments and well wishes. Just gotta get control of the guy in the mirror again...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!