Anyone else concerned about artificial sweeteners and eat al

Options
The past couple years, I've pretty much cut out all artificial sweeteners (especially nasty aspartame!!) So that excludes almost everything labeled "diet" or "sugar-free", unless it's made with stevia or natural sweeteners.

I keep having people recommend the artificial junk to me, and I wonder if they have any clue about the poisons they are eating.

According to this article I read:

79 percent of American adults STILL regularly consume low-calorie and sugar-free products, most of which contain artificial sweeteners

59 percent of Americans STILL drink diet soft drinks

49 percent of Americans STILL use sugar substitutes

If you are one of these statistics, you should watch this film immediately—before you become a FAR GRIMMER STATISTIC.

What you don’t know can hurt you.

Here's the link to the article/video:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/06/sweet-misery-a-poisoned-world-you-can-finally-view-free-online.aspx

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I won't eat anything that has artificial sweeteners in it. Thanks for posting this.
    Risa
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree.. I quit drinking soda and eating junk food b/c of all the artificial sweetners.. This after I finished reading "Skinny B*tch" Great book!!!

Thank for posting this!!
  • groucherella
    Options
    anything with aspartame makes my stomach sick, so that's a good motivator for me to stay away.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I still drink my diet coke and use Truvia, that wont be changing any time soon
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    lolwut?
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    While I do not drink diet sodas (never have) - I do not worry about artificial sweetners in moderation. They are helping me lose weight right now. I used to be totally against them but now have a few items with artificial in them :-)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    The problem comes with what to replace the sweeteners with though. I despise unsweetened tea and coffee, what would I use instead?

Please do not say honey, there are too many calories in honey and I would rather those calories go on food.

Sweeteners have nil calories in, I've used them for the last 20 years. It is either that or sugar, I will take sweeteners.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid them as much as possible, I have read that they make you crave more sweets. But whatever works in the short term to get started on healthy habits, but in the long run the goal should be to eliminate these ingredients from your diet.
  • InsanlyIrene
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners (of any kind) are all toxic (at least I feel they are my opinion) I never eat or drink anything with them in it, I use honey or raw non processed sugar instead (Sucanat).
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I have Caffeine free diet soda, maybe 1 can 3-4 times a week, used to drink regular soda maybe 2-3 cans a day! Now I cant stand the sweetness of regular, and I used sweet N Low for my morning coffee :(
    I just feel that in moderation its OK, I cant give up everything :(
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't drink/eat any artificial sweetners/sugars mostly because they give me nasty migraines, but secondly because their questionable safety. This includes splenda, which, although derived from natural sugar, is no longer natural sugar after it is processed. There are also studies that artificial sweetners only increase cravings for sugar/sweets, making it a vicious cycle. I use stevia or old fashioned sugar in moderation.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I don't like artificial sweeteners either but sometimes it is a necessary evil. Breathing the air, drinking the water, eating the meat and produce, talking on my cell, driving my car could someday kill me too but I won't stop doing those either.

Everything in moderation.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The problem comes with what to replace the sweeteners with though. I despise unsweetened tea and coffee, what would I use instead?

Please do not say honey, there are too many calories in honey and I would rather those calories go on food.

Sweeteners have nil calories in, I've used them for the last 20 years. It is either that or sugar, I will take sweeteners.

Have you tried stevia (not truvia, which is not pure stevia!)? Most grocerers carry pure stevia in the little packets, which I keep at my desk, in my purse, at home. 1 packet sweetens my tea nicely.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to eat/drink anything with artificial sweetener, the taste is so noxious to me it's not even tempting. I like water, unsweetened tea and I drink soda so infrequently it has become almost syrupy tasting when I do drink it. A spoonful of sugar is only 30 cals and I still put that on plain oatmeal.
  • richmondhillgal
    Options
    well, I drink one diet coke with splenda a day and sometimes I dont finish the 12 oz can so that's not bad at all, I don't think. I love splenda
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    No I am not concerned. I take a Slenda or Truvia in every cup of coffee I drink. Come to think if it, that's pretty much the only form of artificial sweetener I consume...
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I try not to use artificial sweeteners, but there seems to be one thing I can't avoid it in.....chewing gum! Everywhere I look the gum is now sweetened with some type of artificial sweetener. Does anyone know any kind that is still sweetened with sugar or something natural?
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Have you tried stevia (not truvia, which is not pure stevia!)? Most grocerers carry pure stevia in the little packets, which I keep at my desk, in my purse, at home. 1 packet sweetens my tea nicely.
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's available here in UK, I will keep a look out for it though x
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I tried to found out if anyone has actually DIED from using articial sweeteners, and couldn't find any reports. Putting a dangerous poison into your body would kill you. Please link me to some stats of the relation to artificial sweeteners and death.