What am I doing wrong!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• gabrielleroberts3
    Options
    Honestly, I think your calories are too low. Sounds like your body could be starving and storing fat

No. That's now how it works.

If you eat too few calories, you lose weight.

OP, you are losing weight at a healthy rate. You probably need to be patient.

NO...your body will go into starvation mode and store fat, which will not go away easily.

Not exactly. If you eat too little, your body will lose fat AND muscle. Your total fat will not increase if you eat at a deficit, but your BF% will likely rise.

Thanks for the clarification! :) Like I said above, I am no medical professional...just going off what I have been told by my docs.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think your calories are too low. Sounds like your body could be starving and storing fat

NO...your body will go into starvation mode and store fat, which will not go away easily.

Nope. Myth. Your body only goes into starvation mode when you are actually starving - your fat store is all used up and it has no choice but to consume lean muscle and vital organs. I still can't believe how prevalent this myth is.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Eating too few calories will not make a person's body store fat. However, I do agree that the OP is not eating enough if she actually is netting as little as she says. OP, please make sure you are giving your body enough calories to fuel itself. Severe calorie restriction can cause nasty health problems.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Umm no I'm eating a total of 1100-1400 cal before exercise, so it comes in at 500-800cal net.... Should I be eating more? However I'm only eating about 600cal during the day then another about 600cal for dinner is that ok?

That's a good intake.

For a 2 year old.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your body won't think you are starving unless you go days without eating anything. If you eat less calories than you burn, your body will use stores of fat to make up the difference.

3,500 calories = 1 lb of fat...

So, if you run a deficit of 500 calories per day, every day, in one week you will lose 1 lb of fat (500 cal x 7 days = 3,500 cal). Or, if you run 250 cal deficit every day, you will lose 0.5 lb of fat every week. Very simple, but the discipline is not easy. If I don't find myself a bit hungry at times during the day (I'm doing a 250 cal deficit/day), I know I'm eating too much to be losing weight.

I would also check your "Goals" tab and update it regularly. I've found that mine does not keep up with my weight loss the way I would expect it to. For example, as you lose weight, your daily caloric needs drop also. If the MFP does not update properly based on your check in weights, you'll keep eating the same calories you started at, which becomes too high for weight loss for the weight you are now at (it will be more like maintenance caloric needs, where you maintain where you are at).

It can be complex, but you are on the right track. There will be days where you don't see progress. The body works in mysterious ways. For example, I recently read a post by someone who wanted to drop some weight and could not. He changed his diet slightly (dropped certain types of carbs for a couple days, not sure which ones), and through exercise he used up a bunch of stored glycogen which made it easy to drop a bunch of water weight that was keeping his weight up. I can't explain any more than that, but the point is don't get discouraged.
  • ameliataylor92
    ameliataylor92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Drinking about 1.8 liters of water a day. Could I just do a less exercise and eat about the same or should I continue with the same exercise and up my cals? Or can I just continue with what I'm doing because I'm just not hungry enough to eat more. I actually eat a lot but it all low calorie foods. I've been doing measurements of hips, waist, chest, leg & arm and have lost cm on all except chest in the past week but no actual weight loss on the scales. I'm 168cm, 84kg & 29.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that net is crazy low. I know it's a "to each his or her own" thing, but I lost 21 pounds netting at least 1400-1500 a day.

I should say: EATING about 1800, but netting about 1500.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    If you are doing exactly what you say you are doing, then I'm guessing you are gaining muscle. Take measurements of your waist, hips, thighs, etc. Do your clothes feel looser? The fat is gonna come off with a calorie deficit like that, so I wouldn't worry.
  • ameliataylor92
    ameliataylor92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Is there a cm ammount guide to loose off hips & waist?
  • courtneytrisha
    courtneytrisha Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other responses but even though I'm sure people have said this, I'll say it anyways. you are eating WAY TOO LITTLE. Like, how do you function? Especially with all that exercising too. When you eat too little you're metabolism slows and therefore you don't lose weight. I hit a rough plateau for a good 2 months and as soon as I increased my calories my I started losing weight again
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Per those numbers, your BMR is 1630 calories/day, if you do nothing but rest. At the least, MFP should have you at close to 1950 calories/day to maintain that weight. Assuming that, with no exercise, you should be eating 1,700 cal to lose 0.5 lb/week (0.25 kg), or 1450 cal to lose 1 lb/week (0.5 kg). The most I've seen recommended is 2 lb/week (1 kg), so that would be 950 cal/day that you could eat. I think you are doing fine.

If you find that after exercise your NET calories are consistently lower than 950 day, look at switching to some higher calorie foods (if you find you are not hungry)...
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think your calories are too low. Sounds like your body could be starving and storing fat. You may want to mix up your work-out routine and try some high intesity exercises like running, kickboxing, or cross training. This may confuse your body and take you off your plataeu.

Really? She has lost 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks. She is NOT on a plateau!

OP- Just be patient and keep doing what you are doing. Some weeks you lose, some you don't. And average of 1-2 pounds a week is great.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Drinking about 1.8 liters of water a day. Could I just do a less exercise and eat about the same or should I continue with the same exercise and up my cals? Or can I just continue with what I'm doing because I'm just not hungry enough to eat more. I actually eat a lot but it all low calorie foods. I've been doing measurements of hips, waist, chest, leg & arm and have lost cm on all except chest in the past week but no actual weight loss on the scales. I'm 168cm, 84kg & 29.

You should net atleat 1200 calories, whether that's by eating only 1200 calories with no exercise or exercising and eating back your exercise calories to net 1200.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Umm no I'm eating a total of 1100-1400 cal before exercise, so it comes in at 500-800cal net.... Should I be eating more? However I'm only eating about 600cal during the day then another about 600cal for dinner is that ok?

That's a good intake.

For a 2 year old.
    No, that's a good amount for a newborn. 2 year olds need about 1200 calories a day.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think your calories are too low. Sounds like your body could be starving and storing fat. You may want to mix up your work-out routine and try some high intesity exercises like running, kickboxing, or cross training. This may confuse your body and take you off your plataeu.

Really? She has lost 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks. She is NOT on a plateau!

OP- Just be patient and keep doing what you are doing. Some weeks you lose, some you don't. And average of 1-2 pounds a week is great.

OP is netting 800 calories.

Telling her to "just keep on" is horrible advice.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

will she perhaps even gain weight??? ... hmmm ... no, this is not how it works, the body cannot create fat from air.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode

To the OP: time of the months messes around a bit with these things due to water retention and what not, some people gain during ovulation, other in the actual lead-up. On another note the 1200 net calories where determined by doctors and dieticians, because at that number they could be reasonably sure that you could get all your nutrients (macro and micro) from your food, because your body only stores fat, nothing else. Make sure you actually get your protein and all the other stuff within those low calories. Also be aware that the exercise calories on mfp are often over the actual burn. Good luck :-)
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that net is crazy low. I know it's a "to each his or her own" thing, but I lost 21 pounds netting at least 1400-1500 a day.

I should say: EATING about 1800, but netting about 1500.

I lost more than 60 eating more than that. Your body is not getting enough fuel.