Ripped in 30 is kicking my *kitten*

Options
Just when I think I've finally gotten strong enough to handle Jillian's workouts, I start a new level and blow that theory all to heck! I did 30DS and it was challenging at times, but Ripped in 30 Level 2 is killing me!!! Is it possible for Level 3 and 4 to be harder yet??

Replies

• EtreMieux
    Options
    Hey there ! As I just started that program too, little review :P

Had a bit of a setback (holidays...) and just got back on the fitness wagon. I foolishly thought that 25 mins of workout a day could not be a difficult starting point! Boy was I wrong....
    Just finished Week 1 of Ripped in 30, started Week 2 today:

Negative points:
    - just like you, just as I thought I'd gotten stronger Jillian proves she can reduce me to a whimpering (albeit determined) sweaty mess in those 25 mins!
    - I don't care much for the 'swimming shark, bouncing quarter off *kitten*' and other such 'hard talk', but if it helps others that's good, and it doesn't hurt me!
    - You better like planking!

Positive points:
    - Nutrition wise, it's a peach to follow.
    - It's not boring, as you get the feeling of 'I do it 7 times and then I move on' + no two exercises are alike.
    - Lost 1.5 kgs in the first week. Disclaimer though, I also walk at least 45 mins-1 hour a day, so it helps. It seriously adds some muscle though...
    - at about £10 on Itunes, it's more than excellent value for money!!!

Level 2 kicked my butt today ( plank rows. Really ?!), let's hope it gets better. I don't think Jillian does 'easier' though.
    Damn it. This is going to be fun !
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through week 2 and I am getting stronger so that I can do the whole workout without pausing. I asked a friend who had done this what week 3 & 4 were like, she said they were killer! She said she was actually sore for several days after starting week 4 (and this was after doing 30DS and Ripped back-to-back). I have no idea what's coming at us in the next couple of weeks, but I envision my last 6 pounds are going to be gone after this :o) so bring it on!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm a *****. I'm having a whinge about week 1!!!! I've been sore for 3 days!
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    There is a HUGE difference between level 2 and 3. I had to actually stop in level 3 because I just wasn't strong enough to do it. I've since switched to you are your own gym. After completing that, I'm going to tackle RI30 again, and see if I can actually complete it. Good luck!
  • lcbowz
    lcbowz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 2 of level 1. (after I completed the 30Ds). I know I'm stronger, but still have so much more strength to build. I love her inspiration - transformation is happening now. she stresses focusing on proper form right now so that's what I'm doing. After reading people's opinions of week 3 I've got some trepidation. It will be great!!!!
  • PippiNe
    Options
    Day 1 of Week 3 done - Somebody kill me now - lol!! Holy crap, intense! The line between strength and cardio was rather blurred in the first part of this workout. I'm gonna be in pain tomorrow I think (a good kind of pain, but nonetheless hurting). My thighs and triceps are going to thank me in a week though :o)
  • lcbowz
    Options
    Almost done with week 3. I've been sore most of the week and I'm doing low impact for the most part. One I just cannot do are those plank push ups...so instead of wasting my time trying unsuccessfully for the circuit, I instead do oblique crunches. I'm kind of excited for week 4! I'd like to try body revolution when done....what's everyone else's plans?

Oh, and I need a new pair of good shoes...my Ryka Devotion shoes just broke. Yes, broke. one of the pillows (pad on the soul for support) broke! Any suggestions?
  • lcbowz
    Options
    I had to take a break after week 2 due to my daughter's wedding, guests and a family emergency. After my 2-3 week break I started back with week one. Glad I did it that way!
  • PippiNe
    Options
    I got through Ripped in 30 the first time a little over a month ago. I haven't tried Body Revolution, but have considered it. After Ripped, I did Jillian's "No More Trouble Zones". Since it is all strength training, I did it for 2 days followed by 2 days of cardio workouts (running or P90X Interval Plus, Plyometrics or Kenpo X). I did those workouts throughout September and have now started Ripped in 30 again.

It is so funny how strong your body becomes without you realizing it. When I started Ripped Level 1 for the second time, it seemed soooo easy. I immediately grabbed for heavier weights, and speeded up the tempo of everything to make it more intense. I'll be curious to see what I think of Level 2 the second time around - lol.

I love Jillian's workouts!!! If you try Body Revolution, will you post some feedback as to what you think of it? I like to do a workout for one month, then change things up the next. I don't get bored and my body doesn't get "used" to the same old routine.
  • mwal74
    mwal74 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It is so funny how strong your body becomes without you realizing it.

Thank you for pointing this out! I have been doing a lot of research about Ripped in 30 lately, and your messages have helped me decide that I will begin this as soon as my foot heals.

I look forward to your updates for your second go at it!

Michele
  • PippiNe
    Options
    mwal74 - Can I ask what foot injury is healing? Ripped in 30 is an awesome workout, but there are some higher impact moves. Just make sure to modify if you need to in order to keep from reinjuring your foot. (one of Jillian's sidekicks usually shows a less intense version of every move she does) You can still get a very effective workout doing the less intense lower body moves if you need to. Good luck!

lcbowz - I'm afraid I don't have any good suggestions for shoes, I'm still using my fairly cheap Avia shoes from Shopko. They have holes in the top where my big toes have poked through. So I'm in the same boat, needing new shoes soon. These have served me well though, I've had them for 5 years and they have gone through several failed workout/weight loss attempts and finally this one that I am seeing through.
  • mwal74
    mwal74 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    mwal74 - Can I ask what foot injury is healing? Ripped in 30 is an awesome workout, but there are some higher impact moves. Just make sure to modify if you need to in order to keep from reinjuring your foot. (one of Jillian's sidekicks usually shows a less intense version of every move she does) You can still get a very effective workout doing the less intense lower body moves if you need to. Good luck!

Just a little plantar fasciitis, nothing serious. I can feel improvement already. Needless to say I'll be stretching more often and making sure my arch is well supported! Thank you again for the incredible review of RI30. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I didn't like level 2 at all and was so glad when it was over and I could move on to level 3. I loved level 3 and 4. They are not that much harder, because level 1 and 2 prepares you well for it. I still do either level 3 or 4 if I don't have much time and can't fit in a long workout.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I got through Ripped in 30 the first time a little over a month ago. I haven't tried Body Revolution, but have considered it. After Ripped, I did Jillian's "No More Trouble Zones". Since it is all strength training, I did it for 2 days followed by 2 days of cardio workouts (running or P90X Interval Plus, Plyometrics or Kenpo X). I did those workouts throughout September and have now started Ripped in 30 again.

It is so funny how strong your body becomes without you realizing it. When I started Ripped Level 1 for the second time, it seemed soooo easy. I immediately grabbed for heavier weights, and speeded up the tempo of everything to make it more intense. I'll be curious to see what I think of Level 2 the second time around - lol.

I'm on the 2nd day of week 2 and there are a few moves that I am having trouble with. The one where you lift your butt up and go into a reverse plank (not enough strength) and the one where you are lunging back and forth and doing rows or bicep curls. That one for me is pretty comical because of my lack of coordination and the fact that I am still half a sleep. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it in the next few days.
  • lcbowz
    Options
    Well, I contacted Ryka and they said I could send the shoes in; they will make a determination if I receive any kind of refund. So, I decided to go with the Ryka shoes again. They are just so comfortable.

I start RI30 Week 4 tomorrow! I'll let you know if I move to Body Revolution next. I'm really leaning towards it.

I do feel much stronger. At what point do you move up to the heavier weights? Personal preference? Today I felt like I could have moved up. Tomorrow, probably not! :-)
  • smay4
    smay4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started with RI30 and really liked it. I hated week 2, that was the worst one for me. Week 3 and 4 were a lot harder, but I found I could push myself through it better than I could in week 2.

A few month later, I was slipping and wanted to do something else. I did No More Trouble Zones in between and some cycling, but I went back to RI30. I couldn't get into it again, I think I was too familiar.

So, I ordered Body Revolution. I LOVE IT. It is slightly different than her standard 3-2-1 system so I found it gave more variety. Also, the group dynamic in the video is a lot of fun. She is still very "Jillian", but I find her comments more motivating and empowering. Even though it is a 90 day system, you only do each work out 4-5 times then move on. Each week really kicks it up a notch.

Sadly, I only made it to Phase 2, then fell off track back in June. I just started Phase 1 again this week. This time I will stick it out all 90 days!
  • PippiNe
    Options
    So, I ordered Body Revolution. I LOVE IT. It is slightly different than her standard 3-2-1 system so I found it gave more variety. Also, the group dynamic in the video is a lot of fun. She is still very "Jillian", but I find her comments more motivating and empowering. Even though it is a 90 day system, you only do each work out 4-5 times then move on. Each week really kicks it up a notch.

Sadly, I only made it to Phase 2, then fell off track back in June. I just started Phase 1 again this week. This time I will stick it out all 90 days!

Thank you! I think I will try this after doing RI30 for a second time. How long is the Body Rev workout? I've looked at so many workout videos lately that I can't remember. Hoping it is not too long. 30-40 minutes works perfect for me.

dshalbert - I'm not the most coordinated person either. After RI30 the first time, I bought Kelley Coffey-Meyers 30 minute Bootcamp workout under the advice of another MFP post. Did it twice and decide that I looked like a drunken puppet on strings - lol. There comes a time when lack of coordination hampers the effectiveness of the workout. By the time I figured out how to do a move, she was already onto the next one. That's one workout dvd that will be collecting dust on a shelf! So I went running back to Jillian!!

lcbowz - I upped my weights whenever I could do the move relatively effortlessly. I have sets of 2, 5, 8, 10, 12 and 15-lb weights. There is a pretty big difference when making a jump from a 5-lb set to an 8-lb set while doing shoulder exercises. But my biceps are stronger, so jumping from an 8 to a 10 or 12-lb weight was not quite as hard. Best rule of thumb is to try it. If you cannot do at least 2/3 of the reps she does, I'd go back to the lighter weight until muscle strength increases. The last 2-3 reps of any exercise should be hard. That's where the muscle is really pushed and strengthened.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 days into week 2. How many days per week do you all do this?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I hated level 3. I only did it for a few days and then moved onto level 4. 4 was actually one of the only levels I liked. I really was not a fan of that workout in general.
  • LabrakaDebra
    LabrakaDebra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of Ripped. It is challenging! I will do more than 7 days of Week 3 to try to master the exercises. There are a few moves I just cannot do (mostly related to a bad knee), so I just modify them a bit. I'll move on when I'm ready, but it won't be too long because I get bored if I do the same routine for more than 2 weeks straight.

I really like Jillian's videos. I feel so much stronger, even if the scale doesn't move much. I'll probably started Ripped over again after I finish week 4, but I'm also thinking about starting to lift.

I'm 3 days into week 2. How many days per week do you all do this?
    I'm doing this 4-5 times a week right now. I also walk (mostly dog walking) every day.