eating back your exercise calorie confusion

Options
I have read several posts about eating back your calories etc and your net calories etc. Would someone please explain this to me!!!! I have been at this for quite some time and am at a stand still on losing and getting a little frustrated! Guess I am just doing it all wrong :(

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You tell MFP how much weight you want to lose per week when you set up your profile. MFP spits a number back at you which includes the deficit needed to lose that much weight per week.

If you exercise then you create a larger deficit so you get to eat back those calories to keep your deficit from getting too large

:)
  • tanners63
    tanners63 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So my goal is 1200 cal. It gave me 712 cal in exercise my food was 1202 and net is 490 with remaining of 710. So do I have to eat the 710 calories still? This is where I get confused. I am stuffed by the time I eat the 1200. UGH!!!
  • trickduffin
    trickduffin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    tanners63,

IMHO you should only eat back any exercise calories if you need them to help you not feel like you're starving. IE, for small women etc. Otherwise, take advantage of the fact that you're x number of calories closer to your goal.

This is assuming that you're trying to lose fat of course. For me as example, on days that I run, I can be about 750 calories under my daily allotment. I'm comfortable eating about 2000 calories a day, and thankfully for a man of my size that allows me to be under.

Also, you would have to ensure that your other calculations are either wrong to the "down side", or close to being correct, but clearly can't be over. I tend to error on the fewer calories side for obvious reasons.

I hope that clarifies for you - at least one more free opinion. ;-)
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    So my goal is 1200 cal. It gave me 712 cal in exercise my food was 1202 and net is 490 with remaining of 710. So do I have to eat the 710 calories still? This is where I get confused. I am stuffed by the time I eat the 1200. UGH!!!

I would get an HRM to get a more accurate calorie burn becuase MFP can be generous with that.
  • tanners63
    Options
    I do daily 30-45 minutes of stationary bike and 15-30 minutes of elliptical. Had a partial knee replacement with NO exercise for a long time so taking it slow. So do I eat those calories back that I burn? Lost 9 lbs. right off but figured it was water and have been stagnant since.
  • tanners63
    Options
    Since Sept. 28th I have been averaging about a 500 deficit. Is that ok?
  • joepayer
    joepayer Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    tanners63,

IMHO you should only eat back any exercise calories if you need them to help you not feel like you're starving. IE, for small women etc. Otherwise, take advantage of the fact that you're x number of calories closer to your goal.

This is assuming that you're trying to lose fat of course. For me as example, on days that I run, I can be about 750 calories under my daily allotment. I'm comfortable eating about 2000 calories a day, and thankfully for a man of my size that allows me to be under.

Also, you would have to ensure that your other calculations are either wrong to the "down side", or close to being correct, but clearly can't be over. I tend to error on the fewer calories side for obvious reasons.

I hope that clarifies for you - at least one more free opinion. ;-)

Exactly
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Since Sept. 28th I have been averaging about a 500 deficit. Is that ok?
    a 500 deficit from what, though...?

If MFP gives you a 1200 calorie goal, that already has the deficit built in. You need to eat to maintain the deficit you burn.
    So.

MFP says: "Hey girllllll, how bout you eat 1200 calories?"
    You say: "OK! I just burned 200 calories by being awesome"
    MFP says: "Aight then, so since you earned those 200 calories.. you need to eat them so the amount of your deficit stays the same."

It's built in. It's automatic.

It's a goal. You need to fuel your own body, and I see "But I'm not hungry!" thrown around here so much that the website should just filter that phrase out of use completely. Hunger is certainly not a sign of ample nutrition.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

It's a goal. You need to fuel your own body, and I see "But I'm not hungry!" thrown around here so much that the website should just filter that phrase out of use completely. Hunger is certainly not a sign of ample nutrition.

Yes! this so much this !
  • tanners63
    Options
    Thank you all for being informative. I didn't understand but now do. It is very much appreciated. Some of us are not as educated in how this works and needs that extra support and push to motivate and understand. Thanks again!!!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    your body's metabolism needs a set amount of calories to function. When it doesn't get that then it starts to turn any foods/sugars into fat storage. I try my best to eat more when I exercise, I tend to get a bigger loss when I do. Just average it out, and add extra ingredients to your meals like flax seed or more vegies. I know it seems like it would be counterproductive but it works. It may be just what you need to jumpstart you back into losing again. Its a challenge to eat more food when you don't feel hungry but at least make an attempt. Definitely read the link that the other responder posted. It is really helpful. There are also videos on youtube that explain it as well.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for being informative. I didn't understand but now do. It is very much appreciated. Some of us are not as educated in how this works and needs that extra support and push to motivate and understand. Thanks again!!!

You're quite welcome. I'm just glad you didn't take it like most folks tend to and fire back with a "GOSH YOU ARE SO MEAN BY TELLING ME I CAN EAT MORE!" Etc.

Best of luck.
  • tanners63
    Options
    Thank you. I definitely will give it a good effort! Appreciate the support!