Having Trouble Sticking to 1200 Calories

Options
Hello All!

I've been using the MFP app for over 2 months religiously and have had great success thus far. However, I find that on days when I don't work out, I find it difficult to stay within my 1200 calorie/day allotment. I generally work out 6 days/week doing 20-30 min of strength training followed by 15-30 min on the elliptical and 1 hr of zumba. Which usually affords me about 1000 extra calories. Some days I eat back most. Some days I leave 200-400 calories.

Unfortunately, I've been sick for the past four days with a cold and have hated not being able to go to the gym, but I know that it is necessary for my body to heal. But I've gotten so used to having so many calories to eat. As typical when sick, I've been eating chicken soup quite a bit, but just feel like I need more & I'm already over my calories for the day. Should I eat a little more or just go to bed hungry? I know it's probably not a huge deal but shouldn't I be satisfied with just 1200 calories? This is not just an issue when I'm sick, but also when I can't work out. I try to stick to 40/30/30 for my macros and generally eat healthy whole foods.

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't be satisfied with just 1200 calories. You need to eat more. If you're not eating enough, it doesn't really matter if they're healthy whole foods or not.

Paying the extra for premium gasoline and wondering why your gas gauge still flashes red is a concern. If you're out of gas, you're out of gas. Period.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Eat more hun - you've been sick and you don't want to go to bed hungry.

Plus I'd take another run at your calorie settings. I don't believe that 1200 is right for any adult but I'm glad to see you eat back your exercise calories at least
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert.. but try this.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

seems to be working for me. I'm 24 yrs old & 5ft 1in tall. walk with my son 2-4 times a week (except this week.. we're all sick and the weather has been nasty). I consume anywhere from 1200-1750 cals/day. :) Feel free to add me if you want.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Um - I personally can't (and don't want to) eat only 1200 a day. I also wasn't losing on that small amount of calories. So... I would suggest upping them according to your TDEE, BMR, etc. If you aren't aware of those things just search the forums... or wait. Inevitably someone will post something about it.

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    So here. Here's a huge wall of text that might help.
    Here ya go:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be satisfied with 1200 calories (I eat 1500 on a lazy day), but that's just me.

That being said, I also allow myself to eat up to maintenance when I'm sick. Sure it slows down my progress a bit, but I figure that my body probably needs those calories to help with recovery.

Good luck and feel better :flowerforyou:
  • miladyscruz
    miladyscruz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! Thanks everyone for your information! :happy: I'm going to print this out! Great info! Ok...I've got to get something to eat...my stomach is growling!!!!!! :tongue:
  • rollins52
    Options
    In a study done in 1950, giving grown men 1560 calories was consider a starvation diet. Obviously, you are not a grown man, but it sounds like you're on a starvation diet. Then again what do I know. I do know that the long term effects included depression, hysteria (anxiety) and intense obsession with food, even to the point of becoming binge eaters when the study was over. That's right - highly restricted-calorie diets create binge eaters.

http://head-heart-health.com/799/health-body/famine-brain-the-fattening-way-to-lose-weight/

I hope you feel better soon.
  • alexcurylo
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy with 1370 calories, which for me is an 800 calorie deficit from base, which is probably less food in proportion than your 1200.

The trick to not being hungry with low calories is to cut those carbs riiiiiiight down and boost the fat. My goals are 20% carb, 30% protein, and 50% fat, which is 69/103/76 grams respectively. Works a treat.

Helps that as far as I'm concerned avocados and olives and soft cheese and the like are perfect foods whether I'm dieting or not...
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I've been using the MFP app for over 2 months religiously and have had great success thus far. However, I find that on days when I don't work out, I find it difficult to stay within my 1200 calorie/day allotment. I generally work out 6 days/week doing 20-30 min of strength training followed by 15-30 min on the elliptical and 1 hr of zumba. Which usually affords me about 1000 extra calories. Some days I eat back most. Some days I leave 200-400 calories.

Unfortunately, I've been sick for the past four days with a cold and have hated not being able to go to the gym, but I know that it is necessary for my body to heal. But I've gotten so used to having so many calories to eat. As typical when sick, I've been eating chicken soup quite a bit, but just feel like I need more & I'm already over my calories for the day. Should I eat a little more or just go to bed hungry? I know it's probably not a huge deal but shouldn't I be satisfied with just 1200 calories? This is not just an issue when I'm sick, but also when I can't work out. I try to stick to 40/30/30 for my macros and generally eat healthy whole foods.

Listen to your body. If it needs more calories to heal, then give it what it needs to repair itself.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just work out every day, honestly. Working out doesn't cause me to be any hungrier, and it allows me to eat more which satisfies me all day. I'm not a 1200er though so that may be a difference.
  • michaluna1231
    michaluna1231 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough, especially for someone very active and young like yourself! You can only force yourself to be that hungry so long, and then you will give in and probably over-eat. I would eat at least 1500 daily, maybe more if you are hungry.
    good luck.

I am 45, not nearly as active as you, and it tells me to eat 1450 a day and I rarely eat that little. I am still losing wt. most weeks.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't be satisfied with just 1200 calories. You need to eat more. If you're not eating enough, it doesn't really matter if they're healthy whole foods or not.

Paying the extra for premium gasoline and wondering why your gas gauge still flashes red is a concern. If you're out of gas, you're out of gas. Period.

I fully agree! For a while I was eating too little and I hit a plateau. Your body needs fuel especially if you are working out. Don't be afraid to eat. If you are sticking to your macros and eating whole foods you should be just fine
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    So here. Here's a huge wall of text that might help.
    Here ya go:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    8. Don't go balls out. SEVERELY... . Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

OP, seriously Read and Re-REAd what trogalicious wrote.
    look at hissticker he knows what he is talking about.

This maybe slow but it is a healthy way to lose weight.
    That is how it works for me.
    I was never at 1200 cal. Even if i would like too my BMR is 1550 and i would never ever go under that. I would feel way too much hungry and depressed not being able to eat more and all the foods i like (Aka cheese and chocolate).

good luck and be patient in your WL journey.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'd be dizzy and cranky on 1200.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes to the Scooby calculator! And also I do toss the logging when I am truly sick. I find being in a calorie deficit makes me feel WORSE than I would otherwise, and that makes me think I need extra when I am sick.
  • musikalmami237
    musikalmami237 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day as well. So far it has worked for me... I've lost 30 pounds (very gradually) since my doctor told me about MFP two years ago. Some days it is harder but others it isn't too bad... I notice most of the time when I am careful about planning my meals and taking the time to cook, I have more success with the 1200 calories. I try filling up on foods that are low in calories but that satisfy me (like a stir fry with tofu and all the veggies I can eat). But I say listen to your body... if you feel like you need to take in more calories on certain days, you probably should! :D Just my two cents!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

... I generally work out 6 days/week doing 20-30 min of strength training followed by 15-30 min on the elliptical and 1 hr of zumba. Which usually affords me about 1000 extra calories. Some days I eat back most. Some days I leave 200-400 calories.

... Should I eat a little more or just go to bed hungry? I know it's probably not a huge deal but shouldn't I be satisfied with just 1200 calories? This is not just an issue when I'm sick, but also when I can't work out.

Can you/ do you plan on sustaining this level of activity for the rest of your life? I only ask because obviously, that is a lot of exercise and if you eventually stop or cut back a lot, how will you sustain your weight loss all the time at only 1200 calories (or whatever your maintenance is...)

I can NOT sleep if I am hungry. I know a lot of people can, but I have enough problems with insomnia now, without adding being hungry to it!

I hope you get better soon, though, and find what works for you! :)
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be satisfied with 1200 calories (I eat 1500 on a lazy day), but that's just me.

That being said, I also allow myself to eat up to maintenance when I'm sick. Sure it slows down my progress a bit, but I figure that my body probably needs those calories to help with recovery.

Good luck and feel better :flowerforyou:

^ This! :)