Replies

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Ha! I eat boogeymen for breakfast !!!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The Bulky Monster. She terrorizes unsuspecting victims who wander outside doing mundane things like talking walks or hanging laundry on clotheslines. She creeps up on them and injects them with "swole" venom from her fangs and now they look like men forever and ever amen.

This.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What an awesome post! Carbs are so damn tasty! Sugar too ;)
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, it seems like every time I am doing good with this weight loss thing I get that junk in my head, make unreasonable goals and start messing up. You are right it's not these things listed but the ginormous portions we eat and the crap foods we put in our bodies all the time everyday. Just look around at the restaurants we eat in and the portions they give us! I went out to eat with my son last weekend, when I was done and got a plate to take my "leftovers" in, it made a full dinner for my husband. He didn't even know I did not buy him and extra plate! It really put it into perspective.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I would applaud this post but my arms are too sore.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the broscience monster - he lurks in the shadow of gyms everywhere giving anecdotal evidence as if it were backed up by real science...like you have to eat six small meals a day to stoke the metabolic fire .....scary stuff...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    OOOooooooooOOOOOOoooodirtyfoooooooOOOOOD.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The Bulky Monster. She terrorizes unsuspecting victims who wander outside doing mundane things like talking walks or hanging laundry on clotheslines. She creeps up on them and injects them with "swole" venom from her fangs and now they look like men forever and ever amen.

This.

hahahahahaha +1
  • ndj1979
    Options

dirty food monster - lurks in cupboards and dirties up food by adding sugar, carbs, and fat to it..ohhhhh noooooo!
  • jeremyjirwin
    Options
    the broscience monster - he lurks in the shadow of gyms everywhere giving anecdotal evidence as if it were backed up by real science...like you have to eat six small meals a day to stoke the metabolic fire .....scary stuff...

And tells you that you have to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

dirty food monster - lurks in cupboards and dirties up food by adding sugar, carbs, and fat to it..ohhhhh noooooo!

Automatic fat gain despite calorie ingested and automatically causes death and disease. Clean eaters never die.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

And tells you that you have to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight.

Or that icing an injury is bad for it. :glasses:
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Weighing in at number two, we have everyones favorite under the bed bogeyman...carbs. yes, yes, I know that carbs are sugar, but this is another that seems to scare the bejesus out of people. I see all kinds of stuff about "low carb", "no carb", carbs make me fat, if I cut out carbs will I lose more weight , or carbs make me eat more, hence I get fat and on, and on, and on....As long as you eat in a calorie deficit, and hit your carb macro for the day, you can eat carbs and lose weight. I eat about 25-30% carbs....This assumes no underlying medical condition...

I don't disagree with the overall theme of your post. But it's disingenous for your to claim carbs are no big deal while at that same time clearly moderating your carb intake. 25-30% is MUCH LOWER than the average american's carb intake. And sugar is a big deal b/c it can stimulate people to eat tons of empty calories.

How much sugar outside of fruits do you typically eat on a daily basis? It can't be that much given your carb intake. And if it is, then you really have to wonder how you're getting enough fiber.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Nope, that's a recommendation based on these things called randomized control trials. A bit different from broscience! Although it's supposed to be 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You forgot the Thyroid Monster!!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Weighing in at number two, we have everyones favorite under the bed bogeyman...carbs. yes, yes, I know that carbs are sugar, but this is another that seems to scare the bejesus out of people. I see all kinds of stuff about "low carb", "no carb", carbs make me fat, if I cut out carbs will I lose more weight , or carbs make me eat more, hence I get fat and on, and on, and on....As long as you eat in a calorie deficit, and hit your carb macro for the day, you can eat carbs and lose weight. I eat about 25-30% carbs....This assumes no underlying medical condition...

I don't disagree with the overall theme of your post. But it's disingenous for your to claim carbs are no big deal while at that same time clearly moderating your carb intake. 25-30% is MUCH LOWER than the average american's carb intake. And sugar is a big deal b/c it can stimulate people to eat tons of empty calories.

How much sugar outside of fruits do you typically eat on a daily basis? It can't be that much given your carb intake. And if it is, then you really have to wonder how you're getting enough fiber.

I have just found that 25-30% seems to work best for me...sometimes I eat more than that...

I do not eat that much sugar, except for the occasional ice cream, cheesecake etc, but I have never had much of a "sweet tooth" but I do not "fear" eating sugar...a lot of people seem to fear that if they eat too much sugar they will gain, which is not necessarily true as you can eat sugar, be in a deficit, and lose weight...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Since we are getting close to Halloween, I thought that I would break down some of the "boogeyman" of the MFP thread family...

The number one boogeyman of our threads would have to be sugar. Sugar creeps into your house at midnight, and coverts all your muscle into fat....bahahahahah... I swear it feels like I have seen about five thousand threads devoted to sugar in some form or not. My particularly favorite read is the statement that fruit sugar is good, but all other sugar is bad; or one I heard recently "I avoid sugar like the flu, but I love honey..." hmmm doesn't honey have sugar in it? Anyway, the point is that we, you, me, us, did not get fat on sugar; we got fat by overeating a bunch of food. If you eat in a calorie deficit you can lose weight and eat sugar.

Number three would be the guy that hides in the closet all night....fat. Oh yes the scary fat monster, will make you gain body fat, lose muscle mass and do all kinds of terrible things to you. Again, if you eat in calorie deficit and have your fat macro around 30-35% you will lose weight and be fine...

Number four - although this one seems to be getting banished - is the dreaded Starvation Mode Monster...if you don't eat 24 times a day, every hour, the starvation mode monster will make your metabolism shut down and lead to an immediate increase in weight. You can eat one meal, three meals, six meals, or 24 meals a day and it will have no impact on metabolism..so eat when you are hungry and let the chips fall where they may...

I am sure I left some off so feel free to add, comment, and post away....

I have none of those.. I have little green devils living in my closet that sew my clothes just a smidgen smaller each night...
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Mythical Myth Monster

Maybe my mind may melt. More magic measures mean many more misunderstood minions.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    TOXINS
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Nope, that's a recommendation based on these things called randomized control trials. A bit different from broscience! Although it's supposed to be 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.

AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!

I'm not on "My Bodybuilding Pal". I'm a 45 years old woman who just wants to slim down and be more physically fit. It *IS* broscience to me because I'm not going in and getting my "lean body mass" measured.

I have to agree with the OP - sheesh... if I had to take into account EVERY LITTLE aspect of every single theory out there, I'd either be so frustrated with all the contradictions I'd give up or I wouldn't have time to earn a paycheck.