How do you dress up canned soup?

Options
I like soup but sometimes do not like to go through the rigmarol of homemade. I had some fajita chicken that I made last night left over it was just chicken breasts, little mccormick taco seasoning and evoo. I added that to my select harvest soup and it was great! How do you dress up your canned soup if you eat it.

Replies

• gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I put dill in my Tomato soup, and then put some crutons and lowfat cheese ontop, then bake it in the oven... sooo yummy!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I usually water-saute a bunch of veggies - onions, celery and carrots usually in water with herbs, and once they are all softened, I add that to a canned soup. in general I add about 2-3 cups of veggies and water to a single can of soup. It helps stretch it out and its tastes way better then just plain canned soup.

I like your idea of adding the chicken as well. I might try that next time I have extra cooked - its nice to have soups as the weather gets colder.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Although, I rarely eat canned soup, once in a while I enjoy Campbell's chicken noodle soup with eggs. I let the soup come to a boil then drop in an egg (after I beat it). When it's finish I put in a few drops of hot sauce. It is sooo good. I also have bread with butter to go with it. Not the healthliest, but it tastes good. Now that I am talking about it, it makes me want it. I should try to make a homemade version to cut down on all the sodium.
  • tswick
    tswick Posts: 5
    Options
    When I'm eating canned soup at work and I don't have extra veggies or meat to put in it, I like to use 1 packet of True Lemon and pepper. It makes a WORLD of difference in a bland soup, especially if it's reduced sodium.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Depending on what kind of soup it is, I add either salt, pepper or other spices, maybe some parmesan cheese on top too. I also like to dip the flavored Triscuits in it. I like the Rosemary Olive Oil the best!
  • ChasHCG
    Options
    I make my tomato soup with 1/2 can of heavy cream instead of milk. Then put italian seasonings in it, cheese and pepperoni on top. AMAZING. Hubby likes it when he has a pizza craving, but we don't want to spend the money on it. :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    To Amy's canned tomato soup I add milk and crushed red pepper.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do is to add baby spinach to french onion soup. You don't even have to heat it up separately-- once you've heated up the soup, the spinach will be nicely blanched. I've also through in stuffing mix as a substitute for the cheese-drenched toast that it usually comes with-- also very good.

I also used Lipton cup-of-soup (the cream of chicken variety) to make microwave creamed spinach at work. Just fill a microwave-safe container of about 8-12 oz. with baby spinach, add the soup and the water, then zap in the microwave for a minute or so, stirring occasionally. The leaves will cook down a bit and the soup with thicken, and you can adjust to taste.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I love tomato soup made with skim milk instead of water. I like to have either a diet wheat bread toasted cheese made w/ 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese or a whole wheat english muffin topped with a melted mozzarella cheese stick. Usually I make my own soup, I have 2 crock pots and make soup on the weekends. I freeze the leftovers by the cup full in ziplock bags.
  • starvingartist
    Options
    i'm really surprised no one has said this yet, lol. maybe im one of the few vegetarians here?
    I LOVE buying the Select Harvest light Southwestern Vegetable soup and chopping up a boca burger or a soy chicken pattie and adding that to it. so much extra protein and much more filling. maybe ill eat that for dinner tonight ;)
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Although, I rarely eat canned soup, once in a while I enjoy Campbell's chicken noodle soup with eggs. I let the soup come to a boil then drop in an egg (after I beat it). When it's finish I put in a few drops of hot sauce. It is sooo good. I also have bread with butter to go with it. Not the healthliest, but it tastes good. Now that I am talking about it, it makes me want it. I should try to make a homemade version to cut down on all the sodium.

wahhooooooo! someone else that puts egg in their soup. yay for protein and fooling me into thinking it's like there's more noodles hehehe, i also add frozen veggies. but I rarely eat canned soup (tomato sometimes) I do the egg to lipton chicken noodle :)