Challenge: Eating to a reasonable calorie goal thru xmas

Options
I'm planning to eat a reasonable amount of calories (currently a small surplus) through xmas. Does anyone else want to join me eating in a sensible way and either gaining or losing a healthy number of pounds by xmas?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I shall eat at a slight deficit (250 calories a day or so) and lose a reasonable amount of weight (6 pounds ish) between now and Christmas! Great idea for a challenge sir.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    reasonable?

does that mean having some foods i enjoy?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is it okay if I eat at maintenance* until (and beyond) then?

* +/-500 calories either direction each day...okay, fine, almost always +...and +2000 calories for certain events.
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ill be sticking to my deficit through the holidays... i may just have to work out longer a few more days a week to make up for the damage done haha
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    In for moderate amounts of pumpkin pie!

(Just kidding, i will eat all the pie - but I will fit it in my weekly goals)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    8FI25e8.jpg
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this method before. How does Dr. Oz feel about it?
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I would love to! I recently upped my calories from about 800 to 1500, so this is good for me! Hope to lose about 5lbs by Christmas. Add me!!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    IN!

As long as no one objects to my 4,000+ Thanksgiving Day plan.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    IIFYWV
  • ryry_
    Options
    I've never heard of this method before. How does Dr. Oz feel about it?

He is for it...Just like every diet plan ever made
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    IN!

As long as no one objects to my 4,000+ Thanksgiving Day plan.
    Sounds great!:happy:
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hold the Holidays.. don't gain more than 2 lbs thru the season.

Last year at work, we had groups of five or six on a team. Then collectively the group could not gain more than 2 lbs. So maybe somebody gained three but everyone else lost a lb. Then the team with the most weight loss won the challenge. It was fun actually being accountable to other team mates!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well, this is odd. If this thread was asking people to join in a pledge to not eat something delicious we'd be 3-4 pages deep already. If it was about not eating candy during Halloween or dressing on Thanksgiving or pie during Christmas we'd have a line. But eat whatever you want, stay at or near your calories, enjoy the holidays with your family by eating what you want and not worrying about your calories......and we have 14 takers?

Fine. Just Stay Restrictive.

1tZcA3Y.jpg
  • ryry_
    Options
    Well, this is odd. If this thread was asking people to join in a pledge to not eat something delicious we'd be 3-4 pages deep already. If it was about not eating candy during Halloween or dressing on Thanksgiving or pie during Christmas we'd have a line. But eat whatever you want, stay at or near your calories, enjoy the holidays with your family by eating what you want and not worrying about your calories......and we have 14 takers?

Fine. Just Stay Restrictive.

1tZcA3Y.jpg

Unsupportive Bully
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I plan to keep on doing what I've been doing, through the holidays -- same as last year.
    I'm close enough to goal so that my plateaus have been pretty long, so I have no idea if my weight will drop further this year. Awesome if it does. No biggie if it doesn't.
  • AliD5679
    AliD5679 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I need something to keep me on track for the day to day ...except perhaps Thanksgiving...;)

Slight deficit, reasonable weight loss! Let's go!
  • Saoirse90
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan! Christmas is the only real time I get to spend with my family so I want to enjoy it and not be stressed about my eating habits or size. And life is too short not to eat stollen over Christmas. :)
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be aiming to lose a pound a week until the end of the year. This may be tough as I've got friends coming to stay, a mini vacation and will be going away for Christmas but since I took a break from losing this year (unintended but it lasted most of the summer) and I really want to hit my next goal I will just have to stick with it!
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    At Christmas, I stop counting and eat whatever I want from Christmas Eve (Dec 24th) to January 1st. So, just over a week.

BUT, I'm always more active at Christmas as well as eating more, as I have more to do.. so although I might snack more in an evening with the TV on, I won't eat as much during the day because I'm busier. In years gone by, I found that I gain perhaps 6lbs when I weigh myself, and maybe 4lbs of that will be water weight, so will fall straight off, leaving me with just 2lbs of fat to shift. So by mid January, all damage has been sorted.

I don't want to count during Christmas. Other than anything else, I have no idea how I'd even start to add up the stuff that goes into a Christmas dinner, because it's all home made so no way of really counting. And I wouldn't want to anyway. Counting is annoying.. Christmas is fun. You don't want to mix the two.. just don't go overboard, binge for the entire month, and then think "sod it" in January!