What is your fav food, share your healthy choices

Options
Hello Everyone..

Today making lunch, I realized that every time I "DIET", I now refer to it as my new life style choice! I eat the same things! It is boring, the only new food I added in was no fat pudding, that I read about on this site.
So I am asking everyone to share their fav foods that are healthy choices, so we can all learn and add some much needed variety.

Mine is True Lemon and True Lime, it is dehydrated lemon and lime in small packages, it tastes like you just squeezed the lemon in your water, no sugar no salt and it has vit c, naturally.

I carry them in my purse and add them to water, tea, it really helps me get my water in, hate plain water.

Cheers

Replies

• scrumpy21
    scrumpy21 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello Everyone..

Today making lunch, I realized that every time I "DIET", I now refer to it as my new life style choice! I eat the same things! It is boring, the only new food I added in was no fat pudding, that I read about on this site.
    So I am asking everyone to share their fav foods that are healthy choices, so we can all learn and add some much needed variety.

Mine is True Lemon and True Lime, it is dehydrated lemon and lime in small packages, it tastes like you just squeezed the lemon in your water, no sugar no salt and it has vit c, naturally.

I carry them in my purse and add them to water, tea, it really helps me get my water in, hate plain water.

Cheers
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I enjoy split pea soup with a few crackers. Its simple to premake and very filling.

Another favorite is some brown rice, lentils, avocado slices, salsa, lettuce, a sprinkle of cheese its like a meatless taco salad.

Also love rice with a bit of feta cheese in it mmmm.

Frozen grapes and blueberries are great for hot days too.

And lastly frozen fruit icy. No milk added only water.
  • cnolovechild
    cnolovechild Posts: 179
    Options
    My favorite thus far has been a recipe I found on the weight management portion of the mayo clinic website. It is a portabello mushroom burger! I made this for some friends while I was visiting them and they absolutely loved it! The great part is that it was sooo easy! If you're looking for new ideas there are tons on that website....snacks, main courses, salads, desserts etc etc. I've found that since I've adopted my new lifestyle I'm eating all sorts of things so just keep looking and you're bound to find a lot of new and interesting things. :wink:
  • sarolyna
    sarolyna Posts: 15
    Options
    Soup of any type are GREAT, they fill you up and most have very low calories, especially vegetable or black beam soup. Just be careful of salt in packaged soups...but if you have time to make a quick pot of vegetable soup (takes like 20 minutes) you can have lunches all week!

Second, Hummus and pita bread. Super satisfying, and because you have to spread the hummus it slows down your eating, letting your body actually tell you when it is full.
  • calatibo
    calatibo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i eat the same, just not nearly as much.

been chatting about haggis on another thread, so that has to be top right now (unfortunately, tonight's dinner will be trout in a cream sauce with french beans... i want haggis!)

I find it easier (because i enjoy cooking) to make everything from scratch, that way i know what is in it. I make my own stocks for soup etc and can control the fat and salt content that way. My big problem foods are bread, pasta and biscuits...so i now make my own, that way i really have to want some biscuits to make them for instance.
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    here's a great fruit smoothie recipie that i use almost every day its only about 130 calories.

1 (6 oz.) container dannon light n fit yogurt (or 3/4 cup)
    1/2 cup milk
    5 strawberries
    2 or 3 packets splenda
    enough ice to make a thick smoothie

blend on high until thick and creamy
    sometimes i'll add 1/2 a banana

mmm-mmm good!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I just had Applebee's Weight Watchers Fajitas...WOW. it was really good, 480 cals, 13 grams fat. I looked it up and has around 25 grams of protein.

it is loaded with veggies and on a whole wheat tortilla. YUM.

They also have dessert 'shots' which is cool if you MUST have a sweet. :heart:
  • cnolovechild
    cnolovechild Posts: 179
    Options
    I find it easier (because i enjoy cooking) to make everything from scratch, that way i know what is in it. I make my own stocks for soup etc and can control the fat and salt content that way.

So do I....I love to cook and especially when I can make all my own sauces etc. from scratch. My fiance always laughs and says I start everything by chopping an onion :tongue: Dunno if thats just a cajun thing or what LOL
  • ophelian
    ophelian Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This week I've discovered the joy of Japanese cuisine - healthy and light but packed with flavor and health benefits. At first I thought it would become some big production but after checking out my local Asian market realized that most of the supplies and ingredients are actually quite affordable - especially convenience items.

This week I've been obsessed with Keiko's Miso Soup from "Easy & Healthy Japanese Food for the American Kitchen" by Keiko O Aoki. It takes practically no time to throw together, clocks in at about 85 calories a bowl (my estimate, not an official count,) and find that I feel rejuvenated and satisfied after a serving - moreso than with other soups.
    _________

Recipe (serves 4:)

Ingredients -

+tofu (firm)...6 oz.
    +spinach...5 bunches

Miso Soup Base:

+dashi stock powder...1 Tbsp
    +water...4 cups
    +miso...4 Tbsp

Directions -

1) First make the soup base. In a pot, add water and bring to a boil, mix in dashi stock powder and let it dissolve. Ad the miso and let it dissolve.
    2) Cut the tofu in 1/4-inch cubes and place in the stock and add it to the soup base, bring to boil.
    3) Add the finely chopped green spinach and serve.

A couple of other (summery) favorites:

+ sliced strawberries with no-calorie sweetener
    + Turkey Hill Zero Calorie Pomegranate Açai White Tea
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My fave healthy food is turkey burger on whole wheat bread/bun with Laughing Cow cheese & some avocado.

My fave snack is raw almonds.. Yummy!!!
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My favorite relatively healthy snack is a pizza made using a whole wheat burrito for a crust, a teaspoon of olive oil on the crust, a measured amount of sauce (2 Tablespoons Muir Glen) and cheese (1/4 cup shredded), and a measured amount of whichever topping I'm in the mood for. Black olives tend to be a favorite, but I love pineapple too (but not together, LOL!)

Pepperoni's do-able, if you microwave the pepperoni first to get rid of excess grease. I've no idea what that does to the calorie count of the pepperoni, so I just include the full amount (i.e., the full count for 14 slices, one serving) listed on the package. Not the healthiest option, but honestly, I adore pizza, and I know perfectly well that I'm not going to live the rest of my life without it, it's just not realistic, so I'd rather become accustomed to having it once in a while as part of something that's at least portion controlled. :)

The whole thing has a reasonable amount of fiber, and the crunchy crust is really nice.

In terms of packaged stuff, I like Yoplait's Yo-Plus digestive health yogurt. The packages are just 4 ounces, which suits me perfectly when I'm in the mood for something cool and snacky. No one else in the house likes yogurt AT ALL, so my stash is safe from pilfering.

Drink-wise, I love homemade lemonade. Yeah, I add real sugar, but I'm reasonably certain I don't add as much as might be in a processed drink, if the calorie counts for sugar on this site are correct at all. :)
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I go through stages but lately my favorite breakfast is a toasted Thomas' light whole grain english muffin with 1 tbsp of skippy light PB...and a few slices of banana. I make a little sandwich out of it. It is a GREAT combo of protein, fiber, potassium, etc...and keeps me going for HOURS. I usually eat the rest of the banana too, besides the slices on the "sandwich"

My favorite fast lunch has been the Amy's low in sodium low-fat chunky tomato bisque with 1 serving of oyster crackers in it and a Cedarlane couscous and veggie wrap! REALLY great lunch and super filling.

I like making low-fat chicken taco's for dinner...using corn tortillas or turkey sloppy joes or shrimp stir-fry or for something fast, I make the morningstar farms chik patties and put the Franks buffalo wing sauce on them for a healthier boneless buffalo tender! Sometimes I make a sandwich with them, sometimes not..and have a near east brown rice pilaf or mccains oven roasted potatoes with either peas or broccoli! MM MMM MMMMMMM!!

My fav dessert has been ice cream lately. I discovered the Edy's Loaded flavors are lighter! I didn't realize!! The Cookies N Cream is YUM!! And 110 calories and 3.5 g fat for 1/2 cup! The Butterfinger flavor is good too but like 130 cals and 5 g fat for 1/2 cup.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i love the fiber one bars yummy the apple is my favorite

summer favorite so far has been i box whole wheat pasta with whatever veggies i feel like and some olive oil and a dash of vinegar and maybe some cheese cubes, i make one HUGE bowl and me and the kids eat it for days LOOOVE it

also cucumber and tomato salad with grilled chicken on the side ohhhh im getting hungry now and i dint take anything out for dinner

peaches, nectarines, and plums cant go wrong there!!
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    been chatting about haggis on another thread, so that has to be top right now (unfortunately, tonight's dinner will be trout in a cream sauce with french beans... i want haggis!)

calatibo,

I need to say two things:

1. HAGGIS!? Ick! I'm Scottish/Canadian and i'm even grossed out by Haggis.
    2. You are hot as hell boy! Gotta love a man in a kilt. Woohoo!

That.is.all. :blushing:
  • calatibo
    calatibo Posts: 289 Member
    Options

calatibo,

I need to say two things:

1. HAGGIS!? Ick! I'm Scottish/Canadian and i'm even grossed out by Haggis.
    2. You are hot as hell boy! Gotta love a man in a kilt. Woohoo!

That.is.all. :blushing:

Why thank you very much, that certinaly cheered my day up, must wear the kilt everyday now

(of course, i asusme you are not talking about my brother who is also in the picture .......:smile: )