PCOS and dieting

Options
Hello, I was diagnosed with PCOS in May of 2012 and have lost just shy of 30 pounds since. The weight came off easy and I have not gained any back, I've been very consistent at my current weight of 163. While I'm thrilled for the weight loss I've had it seems to have stopped at the end of 2012. I try to keep going to the gym but it's hard when I'm not seeing results anymore. I'm trying to focus on dieting again but I'm completely lost in the world of counting carbs, sugars, and knowing what's good , what's bad, and how much to include of what. All of that just losses me. About the only thing I can do is count calories themselves but it doesn't have much effect. I know I probably do eat a lot of carbs and not in the good sense, but I don't understand the limits or what's even good/bad carbs!

It's come to me absolutely needing to work on diet. Not only have I come to accept weight loss stopped around December of 12 but I've also recently been involved in an auto accident that caused two pinched nerves and a wedged disc in my back. I have not tried working out in the two months since but have difficulty doing household chores like laundry and garbage so I've been afraid to try the gym since. While I am still undergoing therapy I want to continue my efforts. I want to try a change in diet to mix with lighter cardio like walking and work my way back up to running and elliptical as I'm seeing more progress with my therapy.

Can anyone recommend a way to help understand dieting more?

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, too, and diets for diabetics or 'Low Glycemic Index' diets really work for me, apparently because of the insulin issues. I'm also a sweets fiend, so I generally don't do them, lol. I find that exercise works nicely enough to control my insulin issue if I eat my carbs to fuel workouts, etc.

I think the glycemic index is better than some diabetic literature about carbs, personally. But in general, try eating more like you have blood sugar metabolism issues, because you probably do if you have PCOS and find that a calorie does not seem to be a calorie.

Insulin can do wonky things to weight loss for some folks, yep :) Eat things that don't spike its quick release, basically. That's what the glycemic index tells you about a food (at a certain amount of it).
  • kkoser1104
    Options
    I've been hearing about that and was always told it says right on the package it's GI but I can never find it! How do I know what's good or bad? I know I am insulin resistant and have been on metformin for a year and a half and my triglycerides were testing okay at first but my last test 6 months ago came back high. I know part of its diet but also wondered how reliable that reading was because at the time my one month prescription lasted me two and a half months :( I am regularly taking it twice a day again though so no excuses now but diet! Are triglycerides related to glycemic index? My doctor told me at my last testing to avoid starches more.
  • kkoser1104
    Options
    Okay cafeaulait7 I've done a bit of research on calculating GI. My next question is, it's not a a matter of adding anything with The GiI numbers correct? Just trying to eat only low GI foods and try counting calories if needed? Thank you for your help!
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Cafe has some great advice there. Make sure you're getting a good amount of fiber when you DO have carbs. I try to get between 25-50 grams of fiber a day. Usually in the 30's. Fiber helps you not spike blood sugar/dump insulin. I don't sweat the Glycemic Index because I have proteins, fats, and high fiber choices when I nom on carbs, which makes the meal or snack balance out. But if you want to use the GI, go for it! It certainly won't hurt you.

I've also read that high fiber diets can help remove excess estrogen.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/11/04/study-high-fiber-diets-may-interfere-with-ovulation-fertility/

There it's a warning! For me, it's a god send! I have too much estrogen, which is why I try not to load up on phyto-estrogen foods. Although some of my protein choices do have soy, I won't drink soy milk or use it as a regular protein base.

Anyway, do what's best for you, take your meds as directed. Metforim is really helping me, as I've been having a regular monthly cycle for over a year now without birth control.

Another link, talks about all this stuff:

http://natural-fertility-info.com/pcos-fertility-diet
  • SingingPilgrim
    SingingPilgrim Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's great that the weight came off easily for you! That probably means your hormones are not that imbalanced (comparative to other women with PCOS). I'm 27 now and was diagnosed when I was 16, so I have seen times in my life where no amount of dieting or working out defeated the hormones keeping it on, and other times when the hormones were more balanced (now, actually) and the pound seem to melt off with the slightest effort.

As far as composition of diet, you don't have to go crazy with it. It'd benefit you to know if your insulin levels are way off or not, because if you're very close to being diabetic you probably should be stricter and possibly even eat a diabetic friendly diet for a while until your levels are better, but if your insulin is testing normal you don't have to be so extreme. Mine did the last time; it hasn't every time, so my endocrinologist says basically insulin resistance isn't about how much insulin but how your body reacts to it, so he recommends all PCOS women take it into account even if they test normal. Personally though, I've just tried to stick to whole grains instead of simple and upping my protein and not gotten crazy about it and I think I'm doing fine...

I have "The PCOS Diet Book" though (I think that's the title) and she recommends that you only lower your carb intake by 5% of normal. She's a nutritionist who specializes in PCOS and she says that she's seen too many people go crazy with lowering their carb intake down to like Atkins level. But basically she recommends you eat 5% less carbs than recommended levels, try to cut out simple carbs all together, eat more protein especially from beans and lentils (for some reason lentils have shown to help people with insulin resistance in studies) and she recommends B-12 and Magnesium supplements as apparently most women with PCOS are resistant.

Obviously it's a large book and that's just a paragraph, but that's the highlights. :)
  • misskariw
    misskariw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was diagnosed with PCOS in May of 2012 and have lost just shy of 30 pounds since. The weight came off easy and I have not gained any back, I've been very consistent at my current weight of 163. While I'm thrilled for the weight loss I've had it seems to have stopped at the end of 2012. I try to keep going to the gym but it's hard when I'm not seeing results anymore. I'm trying to focus on dieting again but I'm completely lost in the world of counting carbs, sugars, and knowing what's good , what's bad, and how much to include of what. All of that just losses me. About the only thing I can do is count calories themselves but it doesn't have much effect. I know I probably do eat a lot of carbs and not in the good sense, but I don't understand the limits or what's even good/bad carbs!

It's come to me absolutely needing to work on diet. Not only have I come to accept weight loss stopped around December of 12 but I've also recently been involved in an auto accident that caused two pinched nerves and a wedged disc in my back. I have not tried working out in the two months since but have difficulty doing household chores like laundry and garbage so I've been afraid to try the gym since. While I am still undergoing therapy I want to continue my efforts. I want to try a change in diet to mix with lighter cardio like walking and work my way back up to running and elliptical as I'm seeing more progress with my therapy.

Can anyone recommend a way to help understand dieting more?

Simply? Try to cut as much "white" from your diet as you can. Sugar (the plain ol' white kind), and the artificial stuff (b/c chemicals don't help balance your already out-of-whack chemicals[hormones]. So...very light on the white bread, pasta, crackers, sweets, white rice ,etc. I hardly eat bread at all when I'm paying attention unless I'm trying to abate the occasional craving. I love eating sauce with pasta or stuff over rice...I use brown rice when I feel like I must have rice and learn to cook Quinoa. It's a high fiber, high protein grain, so it's a good substitute for us PCOS girls. Plus, I just plain like it. ( I cook it with low sodium vegetable bullion instead of just plain water.) If you're having trouble with your back, see if you can get access to a pool. Even walking gently in the pool will be great exercise and it takes the pressure off your joints. You'll be tired, but in a lot less pain than with walking on dry land or trying to do the elliptical. ( I have arthritis on L3 & L4, inflamed discs, and slight scoliosis...I understand the low back pain.) Good luck. Feel free to message me if you want.
  • misskariw
    misskariw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    OH...and...make sure you get plenty of lean protein, lots of green veggies, a moderate amount of fruit, healthy fats (nuts, avacado, olive oil) and fiber. All of those things will help control the insulin resistance and since PCOS is rooted in insulin resistance, it should help your symptoms. I also think that eating as much organic, local, hormone & chemical free food is good for you. It's been a gradual change for my household b/c it's a lot different than what most of us are used to eating. But, when you think about PCOS being a disease where your body chemicals are confused, you certainly don't want to add more to the mix to confuse it even more. ( I don't eat much dairy anymore, either, for that reason.) Unsweetened almond milk is a GREAT sub for regular milk for things like drinking it and cereal and smoothies. If you want to cook with milk, go for the unsweetened coconut milk.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Okay cafeaulait7 I've done a bit of research on calculating GI. My next question is, it's not a a matter of adding anything with The GiI numbers correct? Just trying to eat only low GI foods and try counting calories if needed? Thank you for your help!

I don't know the exact math, but yes it is better to eat a low-GI food if you are eating a high-GI one, which is really cool :) They all still have calories, so remember that! But if you are wanting to eat dessert, for instance, you can have a small slice of angel's food cake and top it with tons of real berries, and that's better than the slice of cake alone as far as how that meal spikes your insulin.

Most of the lower-GI foods are the whole grains and unprocessed stuff, so that is easier to remember. But seeing the GI numbers do show me some foods that I can eat more than others when I don't have a preference between the two. Some of the fruits get kind of high and I like the other fruits just as much, for instance, so that's useful.