Sodium Intake

Options
nicoleisme
nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Okay so I started really tracking in August, and then started eating healthier in mid september, trying to cut down on calories and all. I've cut down soda from 3x a day about to once a week or less. My fat and carbs have gone down (they're still too high but I'm just happy with progress.) But what really gets me is sodium. I loove salt and it's also often high in prepackaged foods, and I haven't gotten to the stage of making all my own foods just yet. How do you get rid of those salt cravings and avoid a lot of salt but still be able to eat packaged food without going over your daily limit?

Replies

• LorienAnduin
    Options
    Extremely difficult without making your own food because I'm sure you've noticed they put it in EVERYTHING. I would try to transition to making one meal a day raw plants. Eat only fruit for breakfast for instance. Slowly begin to have raw plant snacks like carrots and cellery. Make these habits and the rest will follow with time. More fruits and vegetables!
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's tough, if not impossible. I have to watch my sodium intake too. I eat relatively few packaged foods (salad dressings and jarred sauces mostly; everything else is cooked from scratch), and I'm having a hard time hitting my sodium target of 1500mg/day. Of course, I'm also low-carbing, which makes it even tougher!

I would say maybe try starting with a modest goal: one meal a day you cook yourself. (I'm assuming you have access to a kitchen and refrig?) You could set aside a free evening and cook up a big pot of soup, then have that for lunch every day. Or pre-cook some chicken breasts and vegetables, and reheat them. Good luck!
  • nicoleisme
    Options
    Extremely difficult without making your own food because I'm sure you've noticed they put it in EVERYTHING. I would try to transition to making one meal a day raw plants. Eat only fruit for breakfast for instance. Slowly begin to have raw plant snacks like carrots and cellery. Make these habits and the rest will follow with time. More fruits and vegetables!
    They do! I feel everything is made with an overload of it. I think I'll try that, I have been eating more bananas and pineapple, I like baby carrots so maybe I'll buy some of those too. Even the healthy frozen meals have too much salt though and even the healthier packaged snacks, maybe I'll try making my own version with low salt when I have time and package them myself sometime..
  • nicoleisme
    Options
    It's tough, if not impossible. I have to watch my sodium intake too. I eat relatively few packaged foods (salad dressings and jarred sauces mostly; everything else is cooked from scratch), and I'm having a hard time hitting my sodium target of 1500mg/day. Of course, I'm also low-carbing, which makes it even tougher!

I would say maybe try starting with a modest goal: one meal a day you cook yourself. (I'm assuming you have access to a kitchen and refrig?) You could set aside a free evening and cook up a big pot of soup, then have that for lunch every day. Or pre-cook some chicken breasts and vegetables, and reheat them. Good luck!
    That's where I'd like to be at in a few months! But for now packaged foods is much easier and less time consuming. Yeah I've noticed they make up for anything that is low fat or low carb with extra sodium!

Chicken and vegetables is always a good meal, I do have access to those things so maybe I'll try. Just not a really good or experienced cook yet, do you know of a site with good/healthy easy(ish) to make recipes? Thanks!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

That's where I'd like to be at in a few months! But for now packaged foods is much easier and less time consuming. Yeah I've noticed they make up for anything that is low fat or low carb with extra sodium!

Chicken and vegetables is always a good meal, I do have access to those things so maybe I'll try. Just not a really good or experienced cook yet, do you know of a site with good/healthy easy(ish) to make recipes? Thanks!
    Go to allrecipes.com and just look under healthy cooking for chicken recipes. Most have nutritional facts on them so you can use the same recipe or make some adjustments if needed. I love that site!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. My struggle is to actually hit the 500mg minimum you need a day, because all my food is homecooked and I fill up on homemade salads and I don't put salt in those. Aside from the obvious prepacked foods, cheese and bread have a lot of sodium in it. However if you read the labels of various breads, you'll find that they can vary significantly. Here in Australia and the UK the heart foundation puts like a stamp of approval on some meals that have less sodium, but you really need to check. Good luck :-)
  • nicoleisme
    Options

Go to allrecipes.com and just look under healthy cooking for chicken recipes. Most have nutritional facts on them so you can use the same recipe or make some adjustments if needed. I love that site!
    Thanks! I looked at it and it seems pretty great, already found something I want to make this week! Some under healthy aren't low in sodium but it's better than a lot of other choices.
  • margaretamartin
    margaretamartin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I had to drop my sodium intake to 1500 mg/day. At that time, I was cooking for myself for most meals, and I still found it very difficult to hit that target. (Still do.) I try to avoid absolute statements, but I don't think it's possible to hit 1500 mg/day if you eat any commercially-prepared foods.

So, what to do? First, cook for yourself as much as possible. If you must use convenience foods (and, let's face it, even "cooking from scratch" in the USA means you probably use commercially-prepared broth, or canned tomatoes, etc. once in a while), get obsessive about finding low-salt varieties. They exist, but they can be very difficult to find. Read labels, and figure out the "codes". For example, Goya makes a line of low-sodium canned beans—all their labels are light blue.

Some processors do not add salt (or don't add much) in their recipes. These tend to be "healthy" or "natural" and are often European in origin. For example, Pomi tomatoes do not have added salt. Instead of looking in desperation for the one buried can of "no salt added" American brand, I just can grab Pomi. Learn which products you like from which companies.

Second, learn which foods contain a big hit of sodium, or which ones contain hidden sodium. For example: I stopped drinking skim milk because the sodium pushed me over my limit. I switched to other sources of protein and calcium. I cut down on bread, too. (Commercial low-sodium bread tastes weird and is full of junk; making my own salt-free bread was a hilarious round of inedible hockey-pucks.) Celery is naturally high in sodium. Find out what your problems are, and slowly reduce the quantities you eat.

Third, try a hard limit for sodium on convenience foods. For example, if I see a frozen meal and it has 800 mg of sodium per serving, I don't buy it. I can't afford the hit. But I can make 700 mg work. Get good at reading the packages (and sticking to the portion limits!). You can find some unexpected low-sodium hits, too. For example, I like Home Run Inn's Ultra Thin Cheese 6" pizza. Only 560 mg of sodium, 280 calories, and no non-food ingredients. Not as good as my homemade pizza, but sometimes I choose to spend that time doing something other than cooking. But it's not packaged as "low sodium"; I had to read the label to find it.

Fourth, try reducing the amount of salt when you cook. If you like salt, do this slowly. (Me, I didn't really crave salt, and the consequences of eating too much were severe, so it wasn't a problem to cut back drastically.) If you cook for others, warn 'em. I still remind people that my food probably has a lot less salt than they are used to, so feel free to add more. (Surprisingly, they often don't.) You can get away with reducing salt in some baked goods, but not all. You will have some failures, and it's fine to throw out inedible food. You will probably find that you have to increase the amount of spices to reduce the blandness, but that's easy. Salt-free herb blends are awesome (not weird stuff like Mrs Dash). Penzey's makes some great blends.

Fifth, reduce the number of restaurant meals you eat. It is simply impossible to eat a low-sodium diet out there. If you go to chain restaurants, hit their web sites to learn how you might avoid the super-high sodium foods. They're often condiments, and there might be alternatives. Chipotle is a good example of this (or, at least, it was the last time I went, which was over a year ago).

Fifth, take it slow. It is exhausting to always be reading labels, and it is frustrating when you realize how many things you can't eat.

Sixth, learn to cook well. Simple meals are not hard, and you don't need to make anything but simple meals to eat well. I heartily recommend any of the Cook's Illustrated books—the big ones with an article before each recipe. Each article is like a mini-course in home cooking.
  • TheTruthAtAnyCost
    TheTruthAtAnyCost Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm also having a horrible time with sodium.

I've never really watched it before. Even when dieting previously I've only ever checked the calories, so many food I thought were okay are suddenly death traps.

Unfortunately, as other people have said, most prepared foods have tons of salt.

I crave salt all the time. But my main way to get around it seasoning-wise is to use black pepper. It's more flavourful and has lots of health benefits like improving digestion.

I hope everything goes well for you.
This discussion has been closed.