walking/jogging advice please!

Options
I'm recently back at it. After losing a decent amount of weight I quit. Once again. I always seem to lose motivation and drive after I lose some weight. Then I put some back on and so forth. I'm tired of quitting. I want to change my lifestyle permanently. So iv'e started again. My goal is 3 miles a day around the neighborhood. I'm certainly not able to run it all. So i jog until I need to quit and then walk briskly. Then I jog again until i need to slow down and then walk briskly. I do this for 3 miles. Is this the best thing? I would eventually like to be a runner. Aren't intervals a great way to burn calories? These are intervals right? How do I log this in activity log? Brisk walking? Very very brisk walking? Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Lots of people find the Couch to 5K (C25K) apps very usefull. Google them and they give you a training plan of walk run you can work to
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for Couch to 5k.
  • sylnova
    sylnova Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I recommend c25k or Galloway's run-walk-run method
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Walk 4 miles daily and don't run until you lose more weight.
  • cyoung0317
    Options
    I used to be a runner and intervals were the best way for me to get back at it. I did something similar to the C25K, but not quite the same. I would jog for 2 minutes then walk 1 and repeat for a total of 30 minutes of exercise. This worked well for me because I could see improvement every week or two by increasing my jogging time slowly to 3 run/1 walk and then 4 run/1 walk. It was always the hardest to stay motivated while you're working out. So, hopefully this helps. After several months of building to 30 minutes of straight jogging, I can do it!

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner and intervals were the best way for me to get back at it. I did something similar to the C25K, but not quite the same. I would jog for 2 minutes then walk 1 and repeat for a total of 30 minutes of exercise. This worked well for me because I could see improvement every week or two by increasing my jogging time slowly to 3 run/1 walk and then 4 run/1 walk. It was always the hardest to stay motivated while you're working out. So, hopefully this helps. After several months of building to 30 minutes of straight jogging, I can do it!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I would second this approach - visible progress and should keep the workouts pleasant. Also, doyou have specific speed targets? I think they'llhelp too. Just use your first walk/run as a base time, and take it from there

Good luck