Life After Keto - Any Tips? (My Success So Far)

Options
Hello Guys! Long time Lurker, and user of MFP here, but this is my first post.

3 Months ago I started doing a Ketogenic Diet. Basically this is an all natural diet filled with good carbs and fibers, which is high fat and low carbs. Under 20g net carbs a day actually. I started this diet at 288, and am currently down to 255. I feel great, look a lot better, and am way more comfortable than I was at 288, but I have a long road ahead of me to my goal of 220.

Anyway, Keto is expensive. My girlfriend has high cholesterol, and cannot do the diet with me so when we shop we have to buy two sets of food, and money is tight as it is. So after losing my first 30 pounds Im looking to transition to another diet, but maintain weight loss. Any tips?

I was thinking something along the lines of 40/30/30 macro's (40 Carbs/30Fat/30Protien) along with a 1600cal/day goal and a continuation of exercise and lifting 4+ times per week. Does anyone have any success with re-introducing carbs after a low carb diet? I can NEVER go back to my old lifestyle (Drinking and ordering out 4+ days a week) but I want to return to eating foods that my girlfriend and I can share together.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1600cals isnt many for a guy your size with all that exercise?
  • TheCDJohnson
    Options
    Its been working because of all the filling fiber and meats ive been eating, but I was thinking of upping it to 1800 over the next week or two if im feeling hungry. 1600 Seems to have been working fine on Keto but your right, it might be a little low for just a regular healthy diet.
  • drinknderive
    drinknderive Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Replace the meats that you've been eating with beans. Lots of fiber, lots of protein, cholesterol-free.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

3 Months ago I started doing a Ketogenic Diet. Basically this is an all natural diet filled with good carbs and fibers, which is high fat and low carbs. Under 20g net carbs a day actually. I started this diet at 288, and am currently down to 255. I feel great, look a lot better, and am way more comfortable than I was at 288, but I have a long road ahead of me to my goal of 220.

Anyway, Keto is expensive. My girlfriend has high cholesterol, and cannot do the diet with me so when we shop we have to buy two sets of food, and money is tight as it is. So after losing my first 30 pounds Im looking to transition to another diet, but maintain weight loss. Any tips?

I was thinking something along the lines of 40/30/30 macro's (40 Carbs/30Fat/30Protien) along with a 1600cal/day goal and a continuation of exercise and lifting 4+ times per week. Does anyone have any success with re-introducing carbs after a low carb diet? I can NEVER go back to my old lifestyle (Drinking and ordering out 4+ days a week) but I want to return to eating foods that my girlfriend and I can share together.

As a keto-er, myself, my best advice is to make sure your getting enough fat. Also 40 carbs is going to throw you out. Get the sticks and check because I highly doubt your in ketosis right now. I mean, perhaps, since everyone is different but I doubt it. 40/30/30 is not correct. Especially if your lifting. 10/60/30 is really a ketogenic regime.

Check out - reddit and the keto subreddit they have a great wealth of information and a very helpful community

This a final note, remember that for the vast vast vast majority of people going over 20-25 carbs will throw you out of keto.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Replace the meats that you've been eating with beans. Lots of fiber, lots of protein, cholesterol-free.

He can't. Beans are carby, starchy. Not in the regime.

He needs to eat more fats, olive oil, coconut based oils, more nuts, grapeseed oil.

www.cavemanketo.com
    reddit.com/keto
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I would do some internet research. I had high total cholesterol prior to starting keto. I've been doing it for 6 months now and do it for my health rather than for weight loss. The weight loss just happened to be a beneficial side effect for me. Our whole family eats what I cook (2 young adult children & us) so I feel ya on the expensive part.

We shop once weekly and get our meats and veggies at BJ's. We spend about 175$ a week to feed a family of 4. The only thing we don't buy anymore is pasta and rice. Everything is still pretty much the same, with the exception of more cheese and meat.
    Pasta and rice are pretty inexpensive though.

For instance, I made a chuck steak in the crock pot last night, I used cauliflower and mixed frozen veggies (no potatoes) for the kids, I serve it with rice, for me & DH, we eat it without. In other words, you can cook the same stuff basically, just serve it with a side of rice/pasta/potatoes etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

As a keto-er, myself, my best advice is to make sure your getting enough fat. Also 40 carbs is going to throw you out. Get the sticks and check because I highly doubt your in ketosis right now. I mean, perhaps, since everyone is different but I doubt it. 40/30/30 is not correct. Especially if your lifting. 10/60/30 is really a ketogenic regime.

Check out - reddit and the keto subreddit they have a great wealth of information and a very helpful community

This a final note, remember that for the vast vast vast majority of people going over 20-25 carbs will throw you out of keto.

Read the OP again - he isnt doing keto any more, but using macros set to 40/30/30 instead.....
  • hookilau
    Options
    I was thinking something along the lines of 40/30/30 macro's (40 Carbs/30Fat/30Protien) along with a 1600cal/day goal and a continuation of exercise and lifting 4+ times per week.

From this, it would appear that the OP hasn't actually started it seems and is still considering what ratio to go with
  • TheCDJohnson
    Options
    Let me clear a few things up... Ive been doping keto already, for about 3 months or so and have had a huge success, but im looking to transition OFF of keto and onto something that my GF and I could do together.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Let me clear a few things up... Ive been doping keto already, for about 3 months or so and have had a huge success, but im looking to transition OFF of keto and onto something that my GF and I could do together.

Not sure where the issue is then, simply transition off and gradually add in more carbs. I peeked at your diary and it shouldn't be too hard, your ratio of carbs isn't really that low to begin with. Good luck :flowerforyou: :drinker: