getting married - need help & support!

Options
Hi All! My name is Kate and I just got engaged August 7th of this year...
it was very romantic- my fiance took me away for a weekend in New York (which has always been my dream) and proposed to me during a Gondola ride on a pond in central park!

Anyway, we set a date for August 20th of next year, and both really want to get in shape before that.

I am 5'9'' and used to be 170lbs, but after my freshman year of college, (and after living in the Dominican Republic) that dropped down to 145. Now it's back up to 154 and this changes on a weekly basis - I'm always fluctuating.

I don't want to go back to where I was. I (feel) like I have a HUGE stomach- disproportionately huge, and neeeeed to get rid of it before my honeymoon!

My self esteem has always been effected by my weight as well. I just want to feel good about myself and feel free to walk around in a bikini on the beach if I want to! I've NEVER been able to do this because of my own insecurity. It's paralyzing and I don't want to live with it for the rest of my life. My goal is to lose 20 lbs.

Anyway, with my fiance and I's busy schedules & involvement in the community, it is SOOOOOO hard to commit to this & really invest in our physical health... I've used this site for about a week and it has been the only thing that I've really been able to stick to. (HA- a week- that's been the longest commitment I've made to any diet, pretty sad!)
We initially started with the Abs Diet... but that wasn't really helping, (We made a lot of exceptions)
SO anyway- I would love to have some friends on here - people who are new to the community, and people who have been doing this for a long time! Please add me if you're willing to share a little bit of your story & progess with me! I think it would help tremendously.

Thank you!!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    hey, you got engaged on my wedding day :) perfect day eh? hehe :)

I'm definitley with you. I'm 5'10 and I currently weigh 175lbs. I feel disgusting right now. The majority of my weight is in my gut (my baby belly from having twins) and my neck/face. My legs and butt have always been small so now I look really funky ... not proportionate at all, LOL :(

I'm here with yah! supporting you all the way! my goal is to end up at 140, i have a ways to go but im still going strong!!
  • cherylpoitevent
    cherylpoitevent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting engaged! I too got engaged this year! May 8th :)

We are getting married June 11th and I have a LONG way to go. I know it can be really hard. I'm here if you need support. I'm going to friend you. ;)
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    Your CW is my GW. I'm currently 170 and my goal is 150.
  • chezkie
    chezkie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You're definitely in the right place if you're wanting to slim down and stick to a healthy regime. We're a supportive lot, and there'll be loads of people in similar situations to yourself so you'll feel right at home, I'm sure.

My hubby and I got married on 3rd July this year, and I slimmed right down for it but then we went off on an all inclusive honeymoon and moved back in with my parents (and my mum is the best cook), so I've put on a few pounds!!

I'm back on the wagon now and my goal weight is 129 pounds - I'm currently 157 so I've got a little way to go but hopefully I can stick to my regime and get there in the end.

Just have faith - you'll get there!!

Chez x
  • ashley97730
    Options
    Hey girls! Congratulations on all the engagements! I too, am engaged with a wedding coming up in July. I am definitely in need of some kind words of encoragement and support from other people who focusing on their goals too!
  • brockly25
    brockly25 Posts: 150
    Options
    What i see is two people that are busy and have a full day in bolth there lifes

What you might want to do and you will keep up on it.
    Is take dancing lessons. Or a dance class to get in shape and look amazing on your guys frist dance.
    Wow your friends and family. And get some weight off and do that ;)

Or workout like sweaty little pigs lol like I do :).

Just saying if you take a class you made time for it and you will go all the time

If you pick a date to workout you might miss it more offend or see your mother/ hairdresser and so on
    If you have a class you have two thing your going to loss weight and wow your guess at the wedding

Hope this helps. And if your looking for a
    Friend. Add me :)
  • tes8612
    tes8612 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on the engagements! I'm also 5'9" and bounce around between 145-165 with 145 being my goal. I am engaged and the wedding date is May 29th, but we have engagement pics and so many other things before then so I really want to get in shape. I could use extra motivation and more contacts on here, so if anyone out there wants more support too, feel free to friend me. = )
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    hey!

this is my first post on the boards but i'm getting married on 15th january and working my bum off to lose the weight....3yrs ago i was 130lbs(5ft 7) and after having 2babies, one is 2 next week and my youngest is 11months today!, i shot up to an embarrassing 178lbs!!

i have been on MFP for a while and so far lost 21lbs....that's with constant dieting and sporadic exercise regime...i hope you keep up with MFP!! xx hope to talk soon
  • katiegabri
    Options
    it's so good to meet all of you & connect with those who are newly or recently engaged as well :) congratulations to YA'LL & thank you SOOOO much for the encouragement you have given me. I was sitting at my computer after work & felt so refreshed to hear all of the success stories & goals that you have (keep it comin!). Can't wait to connect more & support you in this journey!

~ kate
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    August 1st was our 1 year wedding anniversary We had a double wedding with his Brother :)
    I can totally relate to having a disproportioned (Is that even a word?!) body though My arms are fine My legs are a little stubby Most of my weight is in my stomach and my face (double chin!)
    I've been on the site a while but haven't made any progress which is my own fault
    Good luck on your goals Add me if you want

Oh & Congrats!!!
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    So great to see all this wonderful support people give and receive on here! I just joined as well and recently got engaged- wedding next October :)

Congratulations to you all- it is great fun so far with all this crazy planning!
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Congrats :):) My 1 year was July 25th. For both of you, ya'll may look for something that you both enjoy and could do together to work out, maybe a dancing class, running/hiking trails? or as a community thing try to sign up for runs/walks. You might set a goal to to a marathon or a half marathon ... maybe even in NY, look up one and the date and set yourselves up for it :) Also for your tummy area try to do some things that focus on that area, you want to tone it up too, sit ups, crunchs, backwards sit up (lift legs and bottom off ground), plank (ballance on elbows and toes, kinda like your getting ready for push ups, and hold it for a min+) Good luck and welcome :)