Severe Cramping In My Calves

Options
I haven't worked out for a while, however on Saturday I walked on the threadmill for 55 mins at 3.5 pace incline 6.0. I then proceed to push the lawnmower for another good 45 mins. Now I'm having severe cramping in my calves (charlie horse type stuff) Does anyone have any recommendation as to what might aid in the healing process? I want to get back to exercising so bad.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    water and electrolytes. Drink GT2 or MIO FIT in water during and after aerobic workouts.
    My calves cramped bad when I first started swimming over 2 miles without water. Right around lap 60. Now I have a quart bottle that has either plain water, MIO Fit or G2. No more cramps.
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This happened to me recently. Had a 3-day Charley horse in my calf and I'd never had one before. My brother, an athletic trainer who works in physical therapy told me to do RICE for the healing process (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).
    As for future prevention he told me pretty obvious stuff: take it easy if I haven't worked out in a while, stretch before and after, get GOOD running shoes (I got the cramp from running, but not far or fast) and replace them as the tread wears, stay hydrated, and if you continue to cramp try compression socks to help support the muscle.

Hope it helps. That was one of the worst pains I'd ever felt.
  • dillyg08
    dillyg08 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advices.
  • Cae_Troi
    Cae_Troi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bananas help with cramps (:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions here. Maybe a hot bath with some epsom salts might help too. In the future, don't go 0-60 all of a sudden. Gradually build your way up.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions here. Maybe a hot bath with some epsom salts might help too. In the future, don't go 0-60 all of a sudden. Gradually build your way up.

This! BTDT.
  • nickiev214
    nickiev214 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I first started running. Before I could finish with my 5 minute warm up my left calf completely tightened up. Ended up I needed insoles for my shoes.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    water and potassium and stretching.. cramping happens as well when you don't work those muscles for awhile too (with some people) and i know it hurts, I get em too..
  • damajole
    Options
    my left calf cramps up when i cycle. my mother suggested taking an aspirin an hour before class, and it has helped.
  • tazzy2805
    Options
    pottassium wonderfull stuff stops cramping hence why bananas work
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    pickles/pickle juice
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Potassium! If you don't like bananas (I don't), have a few dates. Or add some beans to your diet, which will also add fiber.

And, yeah, add activity gradually, then follow it with some stretching. And a nice warm soak is good for leg aches in general.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    water and potassium and stretching.. cramping happens as well when you don't work those muscles for awhile too (with some people) and i know it hurts, I get em too..

^^^THIS 100%