I ran my first 5k!

Options
When I started my weight loss journey in Feb. 2011 I was 255lbs and could not run if my life depended on it. I started slow. I would walk for 15 mins then 30, 45, etc. About a year later I started to add running. I could only go about a minute but we all start somewhere. I was down to 220 and once I started more running the pounds were coming off. Well, I fell off the wagon from Oct 2012 to April 2013 I was at 190lbs in April of this year. I didn't gain but I didn't lose either. I knew I needed to get back on track, I felt terrible and wanted to feel good in my own skin. I started hitting the gym to weight train and started running again. When I ran my 1st mile, I was in shock and felt AMAZING! I added a half mile every couple of weeks. This past weekend I ran The Color Vibe 5k. I ran the WHOLE course! It was 3.26 miles, my time was 38.2 mins. I am slowly improving every time I run. I can not wait for my next 5k!!

Never give up, the feeling of succeeding is like a high!

colorvibe_zps1d0938c1.jpg

I am the one on the left.

colorvibeface_zpsffe9eca3.jpg

Replies

• MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! You will find that running becomes an addiction. Next think you know, you'll be signing up to do a half marathon.
  • happylife2014
    happylife2014 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congrats, this is awesome!! Good for you!! :) I've tried running a couple times and given up as I have horrible shin pain.. But this time i'm sticking with it, started couch25k 2 weeks ago. It's going pretty good. My goal is to run my first 5k in 2014. :) Thanks for sharing your story!
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Congrats, this is awesome!! Good for you!! :) I've tried running a couple times and given up as I have horrible shin pain.. But this time i'm sticking with it, started couch25k 2 weeks ago. It's going pretty good. My goal is to run my first 5k in 2014. :) Thanks for sharing your story!

I had shin splints every week for a month, I would rest them and keep going and finally they stopped.
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I ran/walked my first color run this weekend too!!! It was soooo much fun!
  • smiley13000
    smiley13000 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!! I'm with MiloBloom- next thing you know, you'll find yourself signing up for 10ks, half-marathons, then maybe even a marathon!! Running is amazing! For me, it's my stress-reliever and a way for me to just think about ME for a hour. Keep it up! :)

P.S. Feel free to add me if you want! :)
  • Ilb320
    Ilb320 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great job. Keep up the amazing work.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Congrats doing my first one in Dec fingers crossed
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Well done. That's a good time for a first 5k. Look forward to hearing a lot more about your running exploits over the next few months. :-)
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!!!
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!! As you can see my pic is from a color run not long ago. My wife walked it but it was her 1st 5k also. Great job and keep going. I am a somewhat of a runner and try to do a lot of different style runs so please feel free to add me if you would like.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club!! Running is addicting. Soon you'll be planning around various running events in your locality! It's a great feeling to set a goal and accomplish it! Well done!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This is awesome.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    That is so AWESOME! I just signed up for my first 5K which is also a color run, and I am super excited. Congratulations, 38 is an awesome time. Keep up the good work.
  • DChabibi
    DChabibi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!! You are inspiration. Keep going girl! I'm training for my first 5k (Race date is Nov 3rd). I can't wait. 2 months ago, I couldn't run more than 5 minutes. last weekend, I ran for an hour- stopping only once for a minute and I couldn't believe it. It's a work in progress but its going. Congrats again!!
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    :Congratulations! I find it so inspiring to read stories like yours!!!:smile:
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I joined this site because I needed like minded people to share stories with. Everyone has been amazing so far!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Love the pictures, too!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!