Weightwatchers vs. Calorie Counting

Options
Hello there!

So my question is simple... I would love anyone's opinion on doing Weightwatchers vs. straight up calorie counting with MFP. I will first of all say that I seriously love MFP and would probably log everything anyways, but I've heard of people having good success with Weightwatchers and it seems much simpler.

I personally have been roughly doing the South Beach Diet for the past three months, and am getting quite tired of the low carb thing since I exercise so much. I'm also 21 years old and I'd like to lose another 30-40lbs or so.

Thanks everyone! :)
-Sara

Replies

• ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Its basically the same--they assign points based off of nutritional value. If you would log everything anyway, why would you want to pay someone to do practically the same thing?
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I don't know. If you use weight watchers, you still have to know the calories, fiber, and fat to calculate how many points are in everything. I think counting calories is easier. I used weight watchers last year and really liked it, though.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I had success with the Weight Watchers "program". As long as you track everything you eat, and stay within your point allowance, you should do fine.

I really feel though that I wasted a lot of $$$ by becoming a WW member. It is basically calorie couting, but they assign every food a point value instead of a calorie value. So, basically you are paying $40 to use lower numbers lol. Everything that WW offers, can be found right here. In fact, this website has been MORE helpful to my weight loss than WW ever was.

I also find that they don't put much of an emphasis on exercise. You get a booklet at week 3 on "moving" and it encourages walking. Besides that, the meetings don't really focus on working out.
  • angelascott919
    Options
    I have done both, I find that counting calories is more realistic and liveable for life. For me weight watchers was expensive over time and hard to always go to every meeting and the fact that you had to pay for weekly meetings that were missed. They do have a lifetime membership but that is only reachable after you have reached your goal weight and they use the unrealistic weights unless you get a note from your doctor saying that you are healthy at a higher weight and you have to maintain it for a period of time before the lifetime membership is granted. (at least this is what I remember from when I went there).

Counting the calories is something I can do everyday. This website of course makes even counting calories even easier and the people here makes what I do a little more accountable. Weight watchers is the same there, that you have people to be accountable too and most are supportive.
  • mel726
    mel726 Posts: 2
    Options
    Ditto. I did both and I definately prefer calorie counting and it's free. I tracked both on the same day a couple of times and I was surprised to find I was eating way more calories when just counting points. Since you have to check the nutrition info either way I would stick to mfp.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers and Calorie Counting are pretty much the same thing...............

Personally, I love low carbing because you don't have to strictly count calories, fat or even carbs...............If you are eating the right foods, everything falls into place naturally.
  • twnzmom
    twnzmom Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways and I think this is the easiest for me. I love the support, I didn't find the support as great at my weight watchers group. It was kinda of clickish if you know what I mean. This has worked the best for me and it doesn't cost you anything but time.
  • Katiekat1182
    Katiekat1182 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I also have tried both, and for some reason weight watchers just didn't seem to do it for me. I paid for it for a year, and in like 3 weeks on MFP, I have been like way more successful!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Once you have all the WW points memorized in your head WW is easier but if you don't MFP is much easier plus on WW I find you starve more easily. 1200 cals on MFP is often 26 pts (and I eat ALOT of fiber like 40g+ a day) and on WW I'm supposed to eat 18-20 pts only.

MFP is free, WW is not and the online support is the same. Try it out see how you do and if its not up to your standards, try out WW.

Best of luck!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers, and MFP and I think you can lose weight with either one if you are committed and stick to it. weight watchers assigns points to the foods based on their calorie and fiber content so it is basically the same thing. Any program where you are taking in less calories will help you loose weight. Weight watchers doesnt focus on exercise but if you make sure you get the exercise in you will do good with either one.
  • rosef17
    rosef17 Posts: 89
    Options
    I have done both and achieved lifetime with WW - I was never able to maintain doing WW Personally I found my biggest success counting calories (lost 50 lbs after high school - bought a calorie book and a notepad and wrote everything down). According to WW system I should eat 17 points a day, but the minimum you should eat is 18 so I would get 18, that is not many points and I just cannot stick to it. Also for me the other drawback was no Android app - they only have an app for iphone and will not even acknowledge the requests for an android app I also find the support on MFP to be the best there is - you do not get that with WW Etools. I feel I have changed my eating habits more in a few months on MFP than years with WW. Those are my reasons for preferring MFP Also I think Mike is WONDERFUL - he listens to members and makes improvements to the site. WW, in my opinion, has deaf ears to member requests for improvements
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I've known folks who had great success with the WW plan. A lot has to do with the group support, I think, though I have known some who never participated and did quite well.
    It's just not for me, however.
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am currently on WW but I go back and forth between points counting and calorie counting. It helps me to mix it up a bit every couple of months. My main thing with sticking to WW are the meetings. I've really developed comradery in my weekly meeting and I find that when I get off track, the support and motivation of talking in a group setting is really helpful. You celebrate victories together and being able to share those with my group and hear them from others is really motivating and inspirational.

It's really a toss up. Both programs work. It depends on what you need to be successful.

Also, the goal weights are based on the BMI schedule and I found them to be fairly accurate. They do require a Doctor's note to increase your goal weight above the standard range but that seems simple enough.

I just reached my lifetime membership so it's free to me now. I have a 2 pound window and if I gain more than 2 pounds, I have to pay the weekly fee until I get back into my weight range. I like this because it keeps me accountable and motivated to stay at my goal weight (and even lose a few more pounds if I want).
  • lnadack
    lnadack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I did WW for almost 2 years and I lost quite a bit but it does get costly after a while. With my hectic schedule, I did WW online so I didn't have to go to meetings so there was little support that way. Their website is great. I fell in love with MFP after only being on here for only a couple of months. I think it's more realistic with every day life. On MFP, I actually can account for good vs. bad carbs. I feel like I can monitor my intake on other things like sugar where WW incorporates it all in one. If you do choose WW the website below will help if you ever have to go out to eat. Hope it comes in handy if you decide to go that route. Which ever one you choose, good luck!!

http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html
  • shrublet
    shrublet Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone!! I didn't expect so many awesome responses.

When I was thinking of doing Weightwatchers, it would mostly have just been on my own using the points thing. I have zero interest in going to meetings, since I have so many lovely friends on here already. :) But a few people made a good point that I am already counting everything already. Also, I didn't realize that WW doesn't put much emphasis on exercise, and I'm a running junkie so it'd be nice to have that "recognized", as it were.

Thanks again. I really appreciate such thoughtful comments.
  • kiranso
    kiranso Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Weight Watchers for years and recently switched to My Fitness Pal.

Here are my thoughts about WW:
    1. I always felt like WW was unfair the way they give points for exercising. If I am running a 10 minute mile for 45 minutes, I want to be able to eat my 500 calories!! They only give credit for 5 points, which depending on what you eat, may be less that 250 cal credit
    2. The recipes and tips were pretty good
    3. It is pricey, and when I compared it to "LoseIt!" the application, I preferred WW
    4. I really liked the ability to search by type of cuisine, points value, etc. It helped me plan what I should be eating
    5. I liked that I was able to "save" my flex points for the weekend. It gave me the cheat day I wanted

My thoughts about MFP:
    1. Hands down, the number of foods that you can select is FAR SUPERIOR. I am much better at recording my points when I do not have to enter in foods that I eat. MFP has all the products I have so far bought from Trader Joe's, Costco, etc. This alone makes MFP worth it and a SUPERIOR tool
    2. I love that on a daily basis you can see the nutritional value of what you have eaten. This tool has pointed out deficiencies in my diet and has started me thinking about what nutrients I should be getting, rather than just counting calories
    3. The activty credit you get is correct. However, as a result - I can no longer "ignore" certain foods, which is where I need to be more strict with myself when recording. Which is also good. With WW, I was giving myself additional mini credits (such as not logging the sugar in my coffee), to make up for the fact that WW scrimped on my points
    4. The reports could be improved on the website. Rather than just selecting net calories and protein for 7 days, I would like to see how I am doing on a weekly basis for all my nutrients in one view (not that WW gives you this)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Hello there!

So my question is simple... I would love anyone's opinion on doing Weightwatchers vs. straight up calorie counting with MFP. I will first of all say that I seriously love MFP and would probably log everything anyways, but I've heard of people having good success with Weightwatchers and it seems much simpler.

I personally have been roughly doing the South Beach Diet for the past three months, and am getting quite tired of the low carb thing since I exercise so much. I'm also 21 years old and I'd like to lose another 30-40lbs or so.

Thanks everyone! :)
    -Sara

Are you not moving past Phase 1? Why are you not adding starches back in?
  • shrublet
    shrublet Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Kiranso- thank you! You made some really valid points and I agree that the extensive food library on here is the reason that it's so effective.

Gtrigg- I'm techincally on phase 2, but only loosely. By that I mean I don't go all out and eat white bread, sugary cereal, etc. and I try to cook SBD friendly recipes whenever I can. However I don't really follow the food list or anything- I simply try and keep my carbs between 25%-30%. So I guess it's mostly just generic low carb eating versus anything particularly South Beach-y.
  • oddsonv
    oddsonv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have done them both and I am finding more success with MFP...you gotta eat carbs girl! Your body needs good carbs! South Beach is for the birds!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I have done them both and I am finding more success with MFP...you gotta eat carbs girl! Your body needs good carbs! South Beach is for the birds!

Do you know anything about South Beach? The only time you don't eat starches is during Phase 1, and then you do still get carbs from veggies, beans, milk, and yogurt. You gradually add starches back in. I have been on South Beach for months. I typically eat somewhere around 100 or more grams of carb a day. I eat whole grains, like Kashi crackers and whole grain pasta. The only time I eliminate starches now is when I've been a little naughty and need to get myself back in line. Usually takes a day or 2 and I'm back to normal. South Beach is a very balanced, healthy way to eat.