Is is normal to gain 2-3lbs in less than 24 hours??

Options
I read in one place I should only weigh-in once a week. Then, I read somewhere else that I should weigh myself everyday......that article seemed more convincing, so I bought a scale and have been weighing myself everyday. I ran 5 miles monday, walked 3 yesterday, was below calorie goals on both days and today I woke up and weighed 1.5 lbs more this morning and then another 1lbs at lunch, totalling 2.5 more pounds since last night!!! Help!

Replies

• becomingsara
    Options
    Water weight plus muscle being built plus lactic acid = weight fluctuation.

Here's an outside source via the forum :http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/106489-why-does-your-weight-fluctuate-from-day-to-day?hl=weight+fluctuation#posts-1469222
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    And this is why you should weigh yourself once a week, or once a day if you want.

When you eat and drink, it sits in your stomach causing your weight to go up. It doesn't mean you have gained any fat though. You can discourage yourself by weighing yourself throughout one day. Weigh yourself in the morning, after going to the bathroom, before you eat or drink anything.
  • gemzy24
    gemzy24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I never weigh myself more than once a week due to this happening i keep to weighing myself once a week on the tha same day around the same time for a more accurate result, if i was to weigh everyday at different times i think id send my self loopy and worry to much as ur weight can go up and down through out the day try taking it to a weekly weigh in xx
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    I think weighing in is down to the individual. Personally I haven't weighed in in over 5 weeks. I can tell you that in 6 weeks I lost 9 inches off my thighs alone - that's each thigh. And I am over my obsession with weighing in.

You're bound to put on weight during the day - everyone is heavier at night than in the morning. xxx
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Yes unfortunately. It is total BS but it is what it is. If I weigh myself every day I drive myself freaking nuts!

It is a personal preference but IMO weighing once a week is more than enough...and it seems like I've read more people stating they lose more, or don't fret as much as least, when they weigh once a week or less.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. I'm a compulisve weigher and my weight always goes up about three pound from first thing in the morning until time for bed. If you're going to weigh frequently, you have to get used to the changes. It used to bother me, but now I hardly notice. :)
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Your body weight fluctuates throughout the day. Its normal for it to be heavier in the evening then in the morning. Differences before and after eating, or working out. That's why many experts say only weigh in once a week - because you are looking for an overall trend, its not something that's totally exact.

It could be that you've gained some water if your muscles are repairing themselves from a good couple of workouts. I guess the bottom line is to try not to let it upset you or get you derailed from your goals. If you are eating healthily and exercising the scale will catch up and show the improvements over time.

Also, you may want to consider taking your measurments. Sometimes those show the improvements faster then the scale. I find that really helpful in staying motivated.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Water weight plus muscle being built plus lactic acid = weight fluctuation.
    Water weight fluctuations.

Sorry but muscle doesn't get built that fast, even less or not all on a calorie deficit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not muscle, muscle takes months to build in that quantity and pretty much has to be on a diet that is in a caloric surplus. Most likely water as you start a new workout, or push yourself harder, you muscles retain water to aid in repair.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    if your going to weigh daily only weigh at the same time every time. your weight will fluxuate thru out the day
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    Yes your weight can fluctuate 3-5 pounds (i think have heard different numbers on this one) a day. That's why they say to do it once a week...same day and same time.
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    heck no dont weigh ur self every day u will be nuts i but my scale in the top of my closet and u have water weight are muscle u are find run away from that scale u dont wanna drive ur self nut im telling u
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    So the article that was more "convincing" said once a day...but you're weighing yourself at breakfast and lunch? You do realize you're consuming calories during the day and that's why you weigh more at lunch, right?

Honestly, do yourself a favour and put the scale away. Weigh yourself once a week.

Common sense goes a long way with weight loss.
  • rjmalovany
    rjmalovany Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I KNOW I should only weigh myself once a week but what if that once a week is the day that I am "up" 3 pounds? I like to weigh myself every morning. I get annoyed when I'm up, but I remind myself that last week I was fluctuating between 174 and 172, this week, 173 and 171. That's down a pound any way you look at it. It wouldn't hurt to write it down each day and then you can see if there's a trend (are you up on days that you worked out really hard the day before?). I'm going to take my own advice and start doing that :)
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself every day can be very motivating. whether you weigh in every day, once a week, or once a month, I strongly recommend that you weigh yourself first thing in the morning - with either no clothes on (or wear the same clothing every day for weigh in. Make sure you empty your bladder before you weigh. This will give you the absolute truest depiction of your weight. If you weigh yourself even after a bottle of water, the weight of the water itself will be depicted in your weigh in - Just think about that for a minute - a bowl with nothing in it has weight. You pour a glass of water into that bowl, it has more weight, etc. Weighing yourself once a day at the same time every day as suggested, will demonstrate more closely your accurate weight loss. If the numbers go up in 1 24 hour period = there could be factors that contribute to that i.e. your sodium levels the day before were higher than normal and your body retained (didn't process as well) the fluids. If you ate late at night before retiring for the evening - your body again may not have had time to process the food.

Most importantly, though, this is not/should not be about the numbers on a scale. It should be about you having a healthier diet, increasing your well being by daily exercise, strengthening muscles and building an overall better body - all resulting in a healthier and happier you. If you focus on the numbers the end result will likely be a less happy/healthy you.

Please for your own well being try adopting some of the recommendations of others that have responded to your post. Think of this as a journey that will require you learning more about yourself, how to be healthy, and the path to take along the way that will best benefit you.

Blessings

Vickie
  • lesleyuk
    Options
    Thats why I only weigh myself once a week. Usually monday morning before eating or drinking anything,
    So many things affect you immiate weigh - food and liquid intake - bowl movements - water retention - time of the month etc. I think I would get too depressed if I checked my self everyday where as I think once a week give me a better representation of my true weightloss.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    There will be fluctuations regardless. That average of seven data points will give you a better indication of where you are at then a single data point.
  • Ravyn1982
    Ravyn1982 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for over a month and have done nothing but put on weight. I can see the difference in my waist line though so I know I'm putting on muscle(which weighs more) and burning fat. I can't give you advice on when to weigh yourself but its not good to do it multiple times in a day. Will do nothing but drive you insane! Inches matter more than weight anyways:)
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    Normal.