Okay, did I really lose 20 1lbs?

Options
Okay did I really lose 20 lbs? 3 weeks ago I started my new journey here on MFP. The scale(very accurate) said 285, today I weigh myself and its 262, that's 23 lbs. I've been working my *kitten* off logging everything and been enjoying every minute. I was so happy this morning but when I told my family none of them could believe me. They think no way did I lose 20 lbs. For the last 3 weeks all i've gotten where eyes rolled back when ever I mentioned that I was going to lose weight. I don't need there support but it would be nice. I'm going to do this on my own no matter what. If I get support, great if not, oh well that's life. My question is a really really stupid question because I know I have lost the weight even though I cant see any difference but Did I Really Lose 20 lbs? Is it possible in just 3 weeks?

Replies

• kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible given you just started--the first week or two is water weight. Great job on the first 20 lbs.! :smile:
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes you did! Embrace it and here's to the new healthy you.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It is possible! I (re)started about 3 weeks ago as well and I hit 22 pounds today. Congrats!
  • Karentrobe
    Karentrobe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way ive lost 25 pounds but its taken a long time and i really dont feel like it and i dont think i look like it. keep up the good work and remeber this is your thing not anyone elses. :flowerforyou:
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    It's completely possible. Mostly water weight but still, possible especially for the heavier folks. They won't notice a huge difference til you get to 225ish but don't give up bud, you're doing great.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Absolutely possible. You tend to drop a lot of excess water weight in the first couple of weeks, so it doesn't show much when you are looking at your body or anything, but it shows on the scale. Don't be surprised or discouraged if the rate you've lost slows down to a relative crawl soon... I lost 13 pounds of water weight my first week or two then dropped down to a more standard 1-3 pounds once I got down to the "real deal" losing of fat.
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Its totally possible! And its an amazing feeling! I'm so sorry your family wasnt more supportive, thats not fair of them. But keep going and be amazing and soon they will be asking out how did it =)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Firstly- great job that you are doing this no matter what and for yourself
    Secondly: congrats on the awesome loss - take it and run!

When we start this journey and change our diet, we often lose alot of water in the first week or so, so your loss probably isn't just fat. But it's still and awesome loss. Keep up the good work and take measurements to back up the scale. How are your clothes fitting?
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It's completely possible. Mostly water weight but still, possible especially for the heavier folks. They won't notice a huge difference til you get to 225ish but don't give up bud, you're doing great.

This^. I lost about 80 lbs before anyone really noticed- but the scale doesn't lie! Congratulations!
  • Werewulph
    Options
    I had the same kind of rapid loss when I first started with diet and exercise. Keep it up! The weight loss will gradually slow down, make sure you keep regular progress pictures!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    of course you did, dont let them make you doubt it... its probrally water weight, but its a start and im happy for you , let them roll there eyes some more on the next 20lbs!!!!!

Congratualtions ;-)
  • Kathleenbujaki
    Options
    It sure is possible. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's very much possible to drop 20 lbs in 3 weeks since within the first couple weeks your body is adjusting to the new eating/active lifestyle. Plus if you ever get to the point where weight lost is moving slow I suggest to change up the workout intensity and revisit your diet.
    Keep up the great job
  • StangMan12
    StangMan12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Believe it! I lost 33 lbs in my first 3 weeks and what a great motivator that is right? I'm sure it will get harder to lose as the weight drops but I'm ready for that. Nice job and keep going!
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yep, definitely possible. I lost that much in the first 3 weeks, mostly water weight. I've been at it over 3 months now, but am down 38 pounds but still have a long way to go. You can probably expect a stall in the weight loss sometime in the next few weeks but don't let it frustrate you. Just push through it. Eventually, you will probably be losing about 2 pounds per week which is a healthy rate of weight loss. Congrats on the first 20. Keep it up!!!
  • cecollins3
    cecollins3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be done. I lost 18 pounds in my first three weeks. Keep it going.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and keep up the good work!!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yep.

it can happen.

I'm down 8 in 14 days. :) and i'm a year into this.

Amazing what changing your eating and exercise habits can do eh?

ETA: Negative nellies.. hate them. I told a guy I had lost 70lbs and his response was "well hope you keep it off" . My family was the same way too. Oh you can't lose weight.. Good luck (with that yea right attitude) Sending me chocolate and unhealthy food for holidays. A year and 70lbs later they finally believe me and are on board with supporting me. Even my son has stopped complaining about the healthy eating. (i think he likes it honestly, but ya know teenage boys, can't admit to liking anything that isn't sugar. LOL). Just keep your head up and make it your mission to prove it to yourself.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    WTG and YES it is very possible for you to lose 20 pounds in 3 weeks! Congrats to you and I applaud your decision to own it and stick to it! Congrats again!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is very possible because of the weight you are starting at. Awesome job!!!!! Sorry your family wasn't more supportive, I know I would feel hurt as well. Glad you are not making that discourage you. Keep going strong!!!!!!