Over halfway there...

Options
mjharman
mjharman Posts: 251 Member
I met with my dietitian last December 27th and she provided me with an eating plan, and I remember saying, "I can do this!" It wasn't difficult or fancy. It was a balanced, portion controlled, back to basics eating plan, and it was something that I could do.

I knew I could do it because I've done it before...followed the rules, done everything I was told would work...and I've ultimately failed.

So when I left her office that day, I knew I could do it, but I also knew it wouldn't work.

One month later, I met with her again. I stepped on the scale - and can you imagine my surprise when I discovered I had lost 10 pounds? TEN! Never in my life have I been able to lose 10 pounds in one month! Before I left her office that day, she had me schedule my next appointment for 3 months later. She said, "I'll see you in three months, and I expect you to be 30 pounds lighter!" And I saw that number in my head and I said, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if that could happen!" And she said, "Why can't that happen?"

And I said to myself, "Right - Why can't it happen?" And I began to have hope. I began to believe.
Believing in myself is what has made all the difference this time.

A few weeks ago I went to the local Goodwill store and I bought jeans. Real jeans. Three pair. Size 14.

It may not seem like a big deal to many of you, but it was a big deal to me. When I gained weight, I gained it all in my stomach. I'm an apple - the most unhealthy shape to be. My beach ball belly made it impossible for me to find jeans that fit. If they fit in the hips, they wouldn't button at my waist. If they fit at my waist, they were much too large around my hips. So I stopped buying jeans. I bought those fake ones - stretchy fabric, elastic waist - you know the ones I'm talking about. I hadn't worn real jeans in over twenty years.

Wearing real jeans is a HUGE NSV for me! And I purchased them at the Goodwill store because I know - I AM ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN - that I won't need to wear a size 14 for long. Size 12 - HERE I COME!

This past week or so, I've lost focus a little bit. I am a mother and a wife who works fulltime, and I am also going to school to earn my MBA. Midterms, presentations, papers...they've overtaken my life! While I did manage to take my weekly 7-mile walk/run around the Lake, I haven't been able to hit the gym in over a week. I hate when that happens!

Next week is fall break. Time to regroup and refocus. Thinking back to where I was 9 months ago - how far I've come, all of the victories, both on and off the scale - I know how important it is to get back on track and to keep moving forward. I love where I am, and I can't wait to get to where I'm going!

Sometimes it feels like a dream. I can't believe I am here. I put on those jeans and I'm amazed that they fit...is this really happening? Pinch me, someone...please!

Replies

• watercolorarteest
    watercolorarteest Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! The mind set is our biggest struggle sometimes isn't it? Our body knows what to do if our mind would just get out of the way, right? Happy for you. Stay on course, get healthy and live life with a smile! :)
  • mjharman
    Options
    Some pictures...I'm not there yet, but I'll get there!

1zc20c3.jpg
    21kl16r.jpg
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You should be so proud of yourself...way to commit to a new lifestyle!
  • Trostlegirl
    Trostlegirl Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    congrats! You look great! I am almost to some 14's! I think that is a huge deal. Keep up the good work!:smile:
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    You are doing terrific!! Keep up the great work!
  • ccpippin
    Options
    Great job!!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful! So glad to hear that you didn't give up. You'll get to that size 12 in no time :)
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Great job! And kudos for doing it while doing all the other stuff :) I used my full-time job, 4 teenagers, 1 spouse, and 2 birds coupled with an MHA program as an excuse to not do it and steadily gained a bunch of weight back in 2007-2009 when I should have been losing it. So keep it up through all this chaos, because you have done a great lifestyle change and you are worth it! Here's to size 12!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    so awesome. so inspiring. cant wait to wear jeans. ive went to shorts for the last 10 years. seriously. i cant wait to wear jeans. im also a very unflattering apple.
  • MaryLaura83
    MaryLaura83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    So excited for you!!! I actually just had a NSV myself when I finally went shopping for pants for the first time in a long one, because I got tired of friends and coworkers telling me that I was swimming in my clothes, especially my pants. I've known this for awhile but couldn't really afford to get any more. Finally I was able to go shopping yesterday and realized I drop like at least two pants sizes. I was an 18 loose in pants before and now I'm down to size 14 pants and they all fit great on me. Woohoo!! Haven't been able to wear a size 14 since probably hs. Hard work is paying off. Can't wait to go buy jeans again. Should be interesting!
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You look great. Keep up the good work.
  • mjharman
    Options
    so awesome. so inspiring. cant wait to wear jeans. ive went to shorts for the last 10 years. seriously. i cant wait to wear jeans. im also a very unflattering apple.

You will get there! YOU WILL GET THERE!!
    One pound at a time...
    :wink:
  • ckhardeman
    ckhardeman Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Good job
  • cupcakecutie1985
    cupcakecutie1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    what a fabulous NSV!!!! That's very exciting, and a true testament to all the work you've put in!!!!
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud..
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You have MUCH to be proud of and I'm so proud of YOU too!! :)
  • rhondamik
    rhondamik Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Way to go, MJ! It is such an awesome feeling to not only feel but see the weight come off, especially when that smaller pants size validates what you have accomplished! Keep going on your journey; you are an inspiration : )
  • jessannprice
    jessannprice Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You've made amazing progress. :) There's no stopping you now! :)
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    Im so happy for you!!! what a story lady! good for you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!