Polar HRM - men's vs. women's models - same except for size?

Options
Hi, are the Polar HRM models for male and female the exact SAME except for the size of the watch?? ie. can a female get the "male" version and program it as a female? (The chest strap wouldn't be different / bigger, right?)

For some reason male Polar HRMs seem to be cheaper on websites so I am considering it. Also, I haven't seen these in person, I'm wondering if the men's watch would even be too BIG for me... I'm 5'4" tiny wrists, 124 lbs! I could be saving up to $50 here, so that's why I ask :-P

Thanks so much!!

PS. I am going to be purchasing the FT40 by the way!

Replies

• goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the FT40 and I can check out the instructions and fit on my wife (who is about your height/weight) and let you know :-)
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I would say Yes. My smaller F7 started going on the fritz so I took my husbands F7 and just reprogrammed it (he uses a Garmin with GPS now). It's just a bigger watch. I actually didn't know that there was a "male/female" difference. I have the watch strap almost to the end, but it works just fine.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it, I think it would be fine.

I purchased the F4 this summer. It had a "men's" sticker on it. The band fits and the watch fits fine. I could program it as a woman. The watch might not be the best size, but I only wear it to work out and don't really care. I am guessing the others would be similar in size though.

I'd guess the watch size - the face of it - would be the only factor you'd need to worry about.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Yes the gender is just the style of the watch, but either can be used by either gender
  • getupandgo
    Options
    I recently bought the men's FT4. The sales associate at Sports Chalet ensured me that the only difference between the men's and women's is color and size. I personally like the bigger size and the black watch as opposed to the women's watches so I went with the men's. She said that since you enter all your personal data anyways it doesn't matter. In fact, one of the questions when I was setting up my watch was "Male or Female?" So you should be just fine with the men's.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Just received my gents FT40. The strap has holes along the whole length, is not too big generally and even presumed I was female (had to change it to male), so it will definitely be fine.