amateur competing

Options
hello! sorry i'm new to mfp, but i just started heavy weight training a month ago and i want to start possibly competing.
it has always been a dream of mine, and i really want to start with bikini then possibly move my way up the ladder.
do you guys have any tips or experience from doing so? more specifically in bikini for now.
it would help so much! thanks!!

Replies

• EMichalene
    Options
    bump!
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    you definitely need a coach to get started..they will lead you in the right direction, and you will just learn everything as you go. i competed and I loved it. You should be a somewhat experienced lifter though..
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I would suggest training for a decent amount of time before even contemplating getting on stage. even as a bikini competitor, you are still in a "bodybuilding" competition, so need to have some muscle!

I did sports model first, just to see if I liked the experience - I loved the training, and the dieting was easy (the way I did it), but i'm really not the flamboyant/extroverted person you need to be to flaunt it on stage as a bikini model. I feel much more comfortable in figure :)

find a coach - one who doesn't do stupid diets or ridiculous cardio, peak week voodoo, cutting water/salt, drug taking. someone who will support you before comp and after. someone who is interested in your health and not just getting you down the necessary BF%.
    i'd investigate someone who has a flexible approach to dieting - iifym style.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about bikini modeling or women's body building?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

i'm guessing she means competing in the bikini category in a bodybuilding competition...
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options

i'm guessing she means competing in the bikini category in a bodybuilding competition...

I would go with the superman pose for the final judging, it's always a crowd favorite.