Gym must haves....

Options
I will be starting at the gym this week and want to have everything I need to succeed!! What are your gym must haves??

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Have you chosen a gym?

Not sure if you are looking for criteria to base your choice or an equipment list for yourself?

Criteria, plenty of equipment is good, lots of cardio machines of different sorts, multiple power racks etc

Equipment, trainers, comfy clothes, a hair bobble and a small towel is all I need. Sometimes I take a large towel and shampoo and body wash etc if I am showering there. And you may need a padlock for your locker.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I look for multiple squat racks, clean showers, clean locker rooms, spinning studio and not too crowded at the time I go. Bumper plates and platform are a huge plus. I also look to see that they have a lot of "extras" in a certain area (ex. assisted pull up bands, jump ropes, wall balls, etc). I like a variety of options so I don't get bored.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Thanks ladies :) I will be starting out slow but I eventually want to start lifting.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    A power rack and a bench.

Everything else is optional.
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options

Heavy weights too.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you're a heavy sweater like me, I highly recommend Sweaty Bands (www.sweatybands.com). They stay in place great and soak up a lot of the sweat from my head. I always regret the day I forget one. They're also not too bad fashion wise. I've work out 5 days a week and have been rotating through 4 and not a single one has worn out.

Also, highly recommend a heart rate monitor w/chest strap to more accurately gauge your calorie burn.

If you're going to be running, try finding a local running store that'll fit your for the right type of sneaker for your stride and gait.

I also tend to prefer form fitting clothes than baggie ones because they don't get in the way, especially when doing floor exercises.

Other than that, small hand towel, water bottle, mp3 player w/ear buds, and a long playlist of upbeat music.

Oh, and a can do attitude.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Headphones. lol
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Heavy weights too.

And also the hooks for the rack and a barbell and safety rails and hopefully also there's a floor underneath that rack.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    not too many dbag highschoolers... I guess thats a must not have...

sanitizer for cardio equipment and an ample supply of towels...

some eye candy

dehumidifiers can be nice depending onclimate

clean locker/shower areas

helpful staff that doesnt try to sell you training packages 24/7

I guess my number 1 must have is good people.. I inadvertently meet the people I see at the gym cuz we always are there during the same hours.. Its nice to have people who respect you, help you if needed, support you, and dont waste your time.

as far as equipment, it depends on your goals as stated above... I just need a squat rack, bench, and barbell.

I wish my gym had a GHR bench. I'd also like bumperplates and lifting platforms, but, they arent a necessity. I know some crossfitters who have all the bells and whistles and it doesn't meant jack unless you train right.

ETA;
    It seems like a lot of women feel uncomfortable in large gym settings cuz they gotta lift with the men. For some peoplr, a smaller gym is suitable. It keeps your mind on the task at hand rather than being all self conscious and wondering what people are (they really arent) thinking.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    gum....and iPhone with headphones!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to pack heat in case someone hits on you or creeps on you at the gym.
  • EMichalene
    Options
    multiple squat racks, weights, and bars!! id say 80% of my workouts include those 3 things (bars and weights basically).
    and clean bathrooms lol
  • EMichalene
    Options
    also, i go to a gym that focuses on rock climbing, which ironically isnt something i'm really into. but main reason i joined - the gym area is typically VERY quiet! little to no people throughout the entire day. i love it
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Pffff Mirrors. Duh. :glasses:
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    GYM MUST HAVES: Shoes, Workout clothes, iPod (or any mp3 device), earphones, Water bottle, HRM to show how many calories are being burnt, cell phone just in case, and sweat towel (unless gym provides towels).

Those are my gym must haves :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    gym with lots of free weights, benches, racks, machines, and cardio equipment.. and one that isn't wall to wall people during prime time... plus a staff that actively cleans the equipment or members that do.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

This. Multiple of each is even better, in case the gym gets busy.
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Anywhere you'll actually go, so must be geographically desirable. All the other stuff doesn't matter, if you don't go.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

helpful staff that doesnt try to sell you training packages 24/7

I guess my number 1 must have is good people.. I inadvertently meet the people I see at the gym cuz we always are there during the same hours.. Its nice to have people who respect you, help you if needed, support you, and dont waste your time.

as far as equipment, it depends on your goals as stated above... I just need a squat rack, bench, and barbell.

ETA;
    It seems like a lot of women feel uncomfortable in large gym settings cuz they gotta lift with the men. For some peoplr, a smaller gym is suitable. It keeps your mind on the task at hand rather than being all self conscious and wondering what people are (they really arent) thinking.

The one thing I LOVE about my gym is that I have NEVER had a trainer come up and tell me that I can be successful only if I buy training sessions with him ( ok, so my trainer DID make a joke a few weeks ago, but I haven't had a paid session in like 2 months due to money issues).

I don't mind lifting with the guys, as long as they respect the fact that I want to lift too. I actually LIKE knowing that there are big, strong, muscled guys to help me or spot me if I need it. I'm sure women are capable too ( the director is a female and olympic lifter), but I just feel safer with a big guy.
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    One thing I use are weight lifting gloves on everything. So many people use the machines and sweat, but they don't always wipe the equipment down. I have issues with other people's sweat :)