Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Should I buy a kettlebell?

I'm currently trying to lose weight. I've got my diet sorted and I'm into a good cardio and dumbell routine. I'm wondering whether or not I should buy a kettlebell as I've heard they can achieve a combo of cardio and resistance simultaneously (to some extent).

Would there be any advantage to me buying one of these? Anyone got experience with them?

Replies

• laddibugg
    laddibugg Posts: 25 Member
    I am honestly terrified of them. Scared I'll let go and leave a hole in the wall.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    In because, excellent question!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    What do you plan on doing with it?

Can you afford buying more for when that one gets to light for you?

Are your dumbbells in varying weights?
  • Elheffe99
    Elheffe99 Posts: 27 Member
    It's currently the main way I'm working out but I'm doing it through a small gym. They are really great but I would recommend you go and have a class or two (at least) before you start doing it by yourself. If you have to much weight and are doing it wrong you'll end up hurting yourself. You want good form.

Personally I really like it. It's very challenging and I always feel like I got a great workout after a session. Plenty of soreness, in a good way.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    They look like fun to me. I've never used one, but the name is cool, they look kind of cool, so it must be cool to use, haha!

I'd get one off of Craigslist or Play It Again Sports for cheap, try it out for a while, and if it sucks, just sell it back to them, you wont lose much money that way. And if you like it, then you pick up some more as you progress.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    If you already have dumbbells you can use them to do kettle bell routines. Having said that a kettle bell is easier to hold to do the swings. Consider trying some kettle bells routines with your a dumbbell and see how it goes. There are routines online.
  • Interested also
  • brokenlogic18
    brokenlogic18 Posts: 16 Member
    If you already have dumbbells you can use them to do kettle bell routines. Having said that a kettle bell is easier to hold to do the swings. Consider trying some kettle bells routines with your a dumbbell and see how it goes. There are routines online.

That's really good advice, I'll give it a go with those before I spend any money!
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Fitnessblender has some great kettlebell workouts!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I train with kettlebells daily, and I love them. If you're curious about KB training, I strongly suggest finding a local RKC or SFG certified instructor who can give you the low down and help you learn the basics in a safe manner. Like any exercise, you want to be sure you're performing it safely and correctly in order for it to be effective and enjoyable for you.

There's a great group of kettlebellers here on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/146-enter-the-kettlebell
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    do YOU WANT ONE?
    then buy one.
    its all about you,,,,
    not others and what they say.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    do YOU WANT ONE?
    then buy one.
    its all about you,,,,
    not others and what they say.

Of course. But the advice above (get some instruction) is solid.

OP, Kettlebells are great, and you'll get a great workout with them. They're challenging and fun, and I like the variety they allow you to have in your strength workout. But because the moves are ballistic, you've really, really, really got to have good form as you move up in weight. There are some youtube videos out there with examples of horrible form. Be careful.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I'm currently trying to lose weight. I've got my diet sorted and I'm into a good cardio and dumbell routine. I'm wondering whether or not I should buy a kettlebell as I've heard they can achieve a combo of cardio and resistance simultaneously (to some extent).

Would there be any advantage to me buying one of these? Anyone got experience with them?

I would say definitely yes. But you need to learn how to use them correctly. Maybe a couple of classes or workout DVDs, even youtube. I started out using 5lb, now 10, then 15 and now I am up to 20lb. I could not lift 20lb in January of this year. Since doing them my stomach especially my muffin top and my stomach have decreased a lot.

Last week, I changed up my workout: I am now doing circuits in 60 seconds intervals with kettle bell swings (left hand, right hand and then both hands), along with the stair climber, jogging on the spot and weight. Today I started doing 90 seconds which left me really winded. Since starting this last week, I was stuck in the low 170s, however on Monday I weighed in at 168.8, a weight I have been waiting forever to reach.