Really? Fat cells die & make u fluffy 4ever?

Options
xapril77x
xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
So, just wanted to see what everybody thought of this... My MIL came to visit this weekend & she looked at me & said I was too skinny. Really? The last time she saw me in Feb I was 105. I'm 140ish now (down from 160 which she missed). When I told her I still needed to lose about 10 more lbs to get my belly where I wanted it she stated that "There's NO way to lose belly fat after having babies!" She told me that since I've had 3 kids it'll NEVER go. I explained that I've met lots of ppl (on MFP) lately that have had kids (some even more than my 3) :-p & they look awesome!!! & that I wanna gain muscle since my bf% is prob what I need to work on most. So, this is the response I get... "Well, then u need to lift light weights, lots of times & forget about losing belly fat, those are dead cells & they NEVER go away!" Really? Anyone ever hear of this??? I know u can't lose excess skin (if u have it) but do fat cells really just die & make u "fluffy" for the rest of your life? I don't believe it since I see ppl with flat tummies everyday that have had children but maybe she knows something I don't... & I'm sure it's something she has heard somewhere... What are your thoughts?

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    No. :happy:
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    She's wrong. I have 5 kids and even though I am not exactly where I want to be yet, it's definitely possible.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    No... because Science.
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Its true that you won't lose fat cells, the numbers stay the same, they will only shrink/or get larger in size - you can "lose your belly fat" though, you won't be fluffy..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    what do you think?

don't try to outsmart your common sense...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    You don't lose fat cells (unless there's surgery) and continued weight gain can actually add fat cells. But there's no rule in the book that states a female can't get a flat stomach again after having kids. You should see all the mom's in my gym after kids.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No. :happy:

This.

Fat is stored energy. Your body put it there to use it.
  • xapril77x
    Options
    I see, they don't go away but u can shrink them... Sorry, I never really understood that part... Thx! That's good to know... Now I know what to say the next time I get this argument from her or anyone else...
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    There are some drugs that may force fat cell apoptosis but they are dangerous for the most part with mixed results and can cause apoptosis in other cells too

Regardless the fat cells can shrink to an incredibly small size and really it wont make a shred of difference if you keep a fitness based lifestyle
  • Jess1caLe
    Jess1caLe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No... because Science.

Yup.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I see, they don't go away but u can shrink them... Sorry, I never really understood that part... Thx! That's good to know... Now I know what to say the next time I get this argument from her or anyone else...

Say nothing. In a few months, show a picture of how you looked then, and how you look now. Then laugh.
  • xapril77x
    Options

Say nothing. In a few months, show a picture of how you looked then, and how you look now. Then laugh.

I like this idea! :bigsmile:
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    No... because Science.

SCIENCE IS THE DEVIL!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Well, I certainly hope to remain fluffy forever. But she's talking ****e.

To add, I've seen too many amazing transformations by people who your MiL would claim be unable to have achieved the bodies they're currently sporting. So as above, just get on with it and prove her wrong.

Lift heavy, eat right, show off those abs.
  • georgesanchez7737
    georgesanchez7737 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I understand that we are born with a number of fat cells. if we fill them (become obese) they will multiply and we are stuck with them. they can be as large as a bean or as small as a grain of salt. I read on "the 4 hour body" that ALA (alpha lipoic acid) and garlic help get rid of the flat/dead fat cells. I worry more about loose skin that fat cells!
  • recovery114
    Options
    You don't lose fat cells (unless there's surgery) and continued weight gain can actually add fat cells. But there's no rule in the book that states a female can't get a flat stomach again after having kids. You should see all the mom's in my gym after kids.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    If my highest weight was 132 at 5'6" will I have extra fat cells?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    If my highest weight was 132 at 5'6" will I have extra fat cells?
    No idea. You'd have to have them counted before and after to get the answer. What you may not realize is that a fat cell can hold up to four times it's size and the average person has about 30 billion in the body.

IDEA Fitness member
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Just incentive for you to show her how you got the fluff out've your body.
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    MILs think they know every damn thing. Mine did anyways lol.

Just lose it and prove she has no idea what she is talking about ! I know tons of people who have. My mom has had 9 kids, 3 sets of twins(she had 2 sets of twins as a surrogacy) and her belly is flat, no surgery. It can be done!!! My mom is proof.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    OMG, MIL :laugh: !