any lifting ladies use creatine

Options

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    today is the last day of my 5 day load, i have not really gained much weight, i was expecting to gain 3-5 pounds, but so far maybe just a pound or two. I feel like i have a constant pump, its kinda cool. My muscles are definately harder. And when i workout i get a bigger pump faster. As far a strength, i can't really tell if its helping my workouts or not, its only been 5 days so i'll give it some more time.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I take it, pre and post workout...no side effects and noticeable improvement in gains visually verses when I didn't take it.

P.s. it will take more than 5 days to see a noticeable difference either way
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I'm not taking it currently, but will start next week when I start my bulk. My plan was 5g pre- and 5g post-workout with a banana and protein powder smoothie.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I'm not taking it currently, but will start next week when I start my bulk. My plan was 5g pre- and 5g post-workout with a banana and protein powder smoothie.

Long time, no see PR.
    Still doing the marathon thing?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Long time, no see PR.
    Still doing the marathon thing?

Hahaha...yes, this Saturday! Just want to get it over with and start getting my swole on :love:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Get it girl

Good luck with the run, wish you all the best. :happy: :happy:
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    I studied the pros & cons of adding creatine to my daily supplements, it really depends on just how BIG you want to get! I personally do not feel comfortable using it because, I read that it can cause excess hair growth, and knowing my luck it would be in all the wrong places, lol! Plus my mother had to have estrogen & hormone shots before I was concieved so I am already blessed with baby fine (lanugo) hair on my arms, head and legs, I keep schick in the razor business, lol!
    Good Luck whatever you decide keep us posted!

The above comment should be stricken from the record...

as far as Creatine goes, it is arguably THE most effective supplement you can take for building lean body mass. It is produced naturally in the body and is also found in meat, eggs, fish... that being said, it's perfectly safe in normal dosages (suggested 5g a day).

Monohydrate is usually the least expensive version and there is no evidence to suggest any other form works any better. I take 5g post-workout mixed in a whey shake.
    Just my opinion, and I'm no expert, doctor or nutritionist, but based on the evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) and scientific studies - if you are serious about lifting, there's no reason you SHOULDN'T use creatine. It works.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23919405
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9746337
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12701815
  • FitFreakJamie
    Options
    I've been using it for several weeks now, added to my protein shakes. I didn't "load" which I have heard most recently really isn't necessary. I've decided to just keep a small, daily amount as opposed to stopping & starting for weeks at a time. I'm sure it depends on your intentions- mine are to stay lean & toned as opposed to adding muscle mass.
    (And, I'm using Optimum Nutrition micronized- you can add it to anything, or just drink with water- completely flavorless)
  • abickford82
    Options
    I've heard to use kre-alkalyn (hope I spelled that right) vs. creatine as a woman since it causes bloat for most women. Right now I'm doing the BodyBeast Lean beast schedule and not using creatine since I'm not trying to bulk till I lose some more body fat. I can tell you it caused me bloat (regular ON creatine) when I did use it vs. kre-alkalyn.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I've been using it for several weeks now, added to my protein shakes. I didn't "load" which I have heard most recently really isn't necessary. I've decided to just keep a small, daily amount as opposed to stopping & starting for weeks at a time. I'm sure it depends on your intentions- mine are to stay lean & toned as opposed to adding muscle mass.
    (And, I'm using Optimum Nutrition micronized- you can add it to anything, or just drink with water- completely flavorless)

I know you.

Welcome to MFP
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it makes me sick... l like totally nastuated sick for hours.

Can't take it. don't like it.

But I don't take any supplements-I'm just not a fan and I fully believe for most people lifting- at their level- more attention to diet and hard work is more important than supplements.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I tried and it made me retain water in my upper legs really bad!!
  • EMichalene
    Options
    i love creatine! ive been taking it for a month and ive noticed a big difference, not to mention i drink a whole lot more water when i use it lol
    and bcaa's. i swear by those even more.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've taken Creatine forever. 5 grams/day, drink 2-3 liters of water a day. I've never had any side effects from it. Creatine is one of the most if not the most studied supplement, with a lot of science to back it's effectiveness. Taking Creatine increases your Creatine Phosphate levels in your muscle tissue. Creatine Phospate is used in the ATP Cycle, which is basically the first 15-20 seconds of energy your body uses when it's doing an activity - be it a set of 8 reps, or the beginning of a run. I think a lot of people are clueless what it does, thinking it directly builds muscle, being that it does increase water retention at the muscle cellular level, making you look "more pumped". Helping you get through/have the energy for that 15-20 second of reps is how it indirectly helps you build muscle.
  • sluggz
    Options
    i love creatine! ive been taking it for a month and ive noticed a big difference, not to mention i drink a whole lot more water when i use it lol
    and bcaa's. i swear by those even more.

LOVE BCAA's! During training there is nothing better! I use USPLabs for the 8:1:1, what do you use?
  • sluggz
    Options
    I've taken Creatine forever. 5 grams/day, drink 2-3 liters of water a day. I've never had any side effects from it. Creatine is one of the most if not the most studied supplement, with a lot of science to back it's effectiveness. Taking Creatine increases your Creatine Phosphate levels in your muscle tissue. Creatine Phospate is used in the ATP Cycle, which is basically the first 15-20 seconds of energy your body uses when it's doing an activity - be it a set of 8 reps, or the beginning of a run. I think a lot of people are clueless what it does, thinking it directly builds muscle, being that it does increase water retention at the muscle cellular level, making you look "more pumped". Helping you get through/have the energy for that 15-20 second of reps is how it indirectly helps you build muscle.

^truth
  • EMichalene
    Options
    LOVE BCAA's! During training there is nothing better! I use USPLabs for the 8:1:1, what do you use?

i completely agree! i just use max muscles its nothing fancy but effective!:tongue:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    that is what my trainer told me: that our muscles use creatine for the strength and its used up very fast, which is why we rest between sets, to replenish the creatine for the next set. He said it wont hurt for me to try supplimenting, so thats why i'm trying it. I worked out at lunch and didn't notice much of a strength difference, but because i'm constantly adjusting my weights for that 8 rep failure weight, i have no idea if i'm just getting stronger or if its the creatine or what i had for breakfast or the alignment of the stars or whatever. But i sure came home with one heck of a swole! and my muscles are rock hard. I do notice that big difference.
    I'm gonna keep taking it over the next 6 weeks. I'm not bloated at all, Any water retention is going on in my muscles and actually feels pretty cool!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    that is what my trainer told me: that our muscles use creatine for the strength and its used up very fast, which is why we rest between sets, to replenish the creatine for the next set. He said it wont hurt for me to try supplimenting, so thats why i'm trying it. I worked out at lunch and didn't notice much of a strength difference, but because i'm constantly adjusting my weights for that 8 rep failure weight, i have no idea if i'm just getting stronger or if its the creatine or what i had for breakfast or the alignment of the stars or whatever. But i sure came home with one heck of a swole! and my muscles are rock hard. I do notice that big difference.
    I'm gonna keep taking it over the next 6 weeks. I'm not bloated at all, Any water retention is going on in my muscles and actually feels pretty cool!

You alluded to this in your post, but Creatine will not make you stronger, per se, Creatine will delay the point at which you need to stop your set and let your muscle cells recycle. In other words, Creatine supplementation can slightly delay the point of temporary muscle failure, allowing you to perform that 1 (or 2) last rep that you weren't able to complete before. So it helps you train harder, which in turn will help you get stronger.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but it's good to keep in mind that it is not some sort of miracle strength powder. It's a good training aid though.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Creatine overloads the kidneys and negatively impacts female reproductive system and the ballooning of the *kitten* front gspots and the epicenter or gap deep right above the cervix. A true orgasm killer for women and penile shrinkage and weakening of the erection angle for men

Better never eat Herring, Beef, Tuna, Salmon, or other animal proteins then. Can't be messing with happy time.