CONFUSED!!! HELP!!!

Options
So I am still in the swing of getting this calorie thing in place....now I do understand that you have a certain amount of calories per day but does it matter how you get them or what you eat? Like if I eat a burger (although I haven't) for a meal or fired chicken and by the end of the Day Im still within my calories, will I still lose weight? Or is it certain foods that I have to eat to lose weight? Im sure I have posed question along these line before and if so im sorry, but Im just still a bit confused. I do eat what I want and I do measure my food but like today I ate chinese food and now I feel horrible about eating chinese but I still have calories left and I havent worked out yet. I almost feel like if im not chewing salad and grilled chicken for every meal I am doing something wrong. Any information would be appreciated. maybe how you do or the things you eat or if this is you as well.

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    yes, as long as you are at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Which foods you choose doesn't matter for overall weight loss. Choosing higher protein foods *will* help you lose more fat than muscle. And choosing less calorie dense foods will make it easier for you to stay on track, since they will make you more full on a per calorie basis.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Or if you're like me, and your body hates carbs...then you have to really watch your macros. I also don't eat dairy so I have to fortify my diet with calcium supplements (paired with vitamin D and magnesium for proper absorption). I don't believe that it doesn't matter what you eat. You're fueling your body, nourish it with proper foods, not junk. That way you'll feel full, you're getting the nutrition you need, and you don't run the risk of binging. I'm not saying eat 100% clean, but maybe try 70% clean and keep the treats to a minimal.
  • shabrick00
    shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    yes, as long as you are at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Which foods you choose doesn't matter for overall weight loss. Choosing higher protein foods *will* help you lose more fat than muscle. And choosing less calorie dense foods will make it easier for you to stay on track, since they will make you more full on a per calorie basis.
    thanks for your input. I hope this is not a silly question but when you say calorie dense foods, could you give me an example of such?
  • shabrick00
    Options
    Or if you're like me, and your body hates carbs...then you have to really watch your macros. I also don't eat dairy so I have to fortify my diet with calcium supplements (paired with vitamin D and magnesium for proper absorption). I don't believe that it doesn't matter what you eat. You're fueling your body, nourish it with proper foods, not junk. That way you'll feel full, you're getting the nutrition you need, and you don't run the risk of binging. I'm not saying eat 100% clean, but maybe try 70% clean and keep the treats to a minimal.
    thanks for you response. What do you consider eating clean?
  • kat239
    kat239 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Its not a silly question, some days I eat junk just as long as its in my calorie allowance, but most days I do eat healthy.
  • alexsheena
    Options
    I say start by just focusing on the calories then slowly you will start to notice what kinds of unhealthy foods you eat and when. Then you can focus on making your diet healthier. Rushing into eating salads at every meal has never worked for me, it's too strict and I fail instantly.
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • jazzerciseN
    Options
    I have found that when I eat "junk" like fast food and sweets, I am hungry quicker so it's more difficult to maintain my calorie allowance. I would stick to mostly complex carbs (oatmeal, rice, whole wheat), fruits/veggies, and lean protein (baked/grilled chicken, seafood, eggs, etc). You can eat way more of these foods than you can junk food. For instance, one cinnabon is the equivalent to eating a huge plate of chicken breasts, rice, and steamed veggies. One has little nutritional value and wont help as much with recovery, while the other is full of stuff your body needs to be a lean, mean, fighting machine!
  • lilRicki
    Options
    clean eating are fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, etc...dirty eating is chips, chocolate, canned anything, pre-made anyting. I am an avid chip eater, but i earn it. Only on saturdays and after I've busted my *kitten* lol I don't eat 100% clean, I eat roughly 80-90% clean though. I like the odd little treat, or a bite of someone's chocolate. And lord help me when Starbucks comes out with new signature drinks. I'm just saying, watch what you put in your mouth, you are what you eat right?
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    ^^^This^^^ Nutrient rich foods and low caloric density will help overall health and also help with feeling satisfied with the amount you eat. Technically speaking though for weight loss, deficit = weight loss.
  • shabrick00
    Options
    clean eating are fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, etc...dirty eating is chips, chocolate, canned anything, pre-made anyting. I am an avid chip eater, but i earn it. Only on saturdays and after I've busted my *kitten* lol I don't eat 100% clean, I eat roughly 80-90% clean though. I like the odd little treat, or a bite of someone's chocolate. And lord help me when Starbucks comes out with new signature drinks. I'm just saying, watch what you put in your mouth, you are what you eat right?
    cool! Thanks for explaining that. And I have heard you are what you eat....
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    thanks for your input. I hope this is not a silly question but when you say calorie dense foods, could you give me an example of such?

Calorie dense foods are foods that have a high amount of calories for a small portion. Examples would be nuts, avocadoes, nut butters, etc.
  • shabrick00
    Options

Calorie dense foods are foods that have a high amount of calories for a small portion. Examples would be nuts, avocadoes, nut butters, etc.
    oh ok thanks for tht info...gosh I ate some peanuts today :-/
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Losing weight but still being unhealthy because of high sodium, high transfat, high sugar and high everything-bad-for-you is not the best option. Junk food might taste good, on one hand you will be hungry faster, and are more likely to go way over your daily calories. On the other hand, you will be eating a lot of bad things for your body.

Healthy food doesn't really have to be boring, and you can still have some junk every now and then.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Most people here at MFP are going to tell you that weight loss is ONLY calories in and calories out. However, the human body is just a bit more complex than that over-simplification, and, for many of us, WHAT we eat does indeed matter.

Interestingly, many people take the calories in/calories out advice and then eat as little as possible, because that means that they will lose weight faster; right? Usually, WRONG. Speaking from experience, a healthy body loses excess fat effortlessly, no need to starve oneself.

I eat a high fat, moderate protein, low carb eating plan based on REAL food and all of my health problems, which were many, have vanished. Bonus, fat loss is a nice side effect of optimal health. So everyone that can and wants to eat junk while trying to lose weight, well all the power to them, but for me it's a FAIL. Over 20 years of failing actually-even though I thought I was eating healthy foods since I was avoiding fat and filling up on grains, sugar, etc as advised. And now 15 months of effortless succeeding and feeling awesome from eating nutrient dense, high fat foods. Go figure.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

oh ok thanks for tht info...gosh I ate some peanuts today :-/

I hate seeing the BS advice to avoid calorie dense foods, which are usually NUTRIENT dense foods. We are not satiated by filling our stomachs to bursting with low calorie food, we are satiated by giving our body adequate nutrients. So avocadoes, meat/fat, and nuts to a lesser extent are all good... A high protein, low fat diet is NOT the way to go. The fat myth has been busted, over and over and over.

FYI Peanuts are a legume and not a nut. I eat nuts in reasonable portions (but not legumes)..

Edit: avocados are one of the healthiest foods to eat. I can't believe I still see people encouraging others to avoid them because they are "calorie dense". I'm seeing red.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd lose my mind if I couldn't eat full fats. The chemicals in low fat or no fat foods are more scary then splicing up half an avocado and putting it in your salad. A handful of walnuts keeps my calories up and carbs down after an intense work out, i eat full fat mayo instead of the yucky fake stuff. EVOO makes me happy!
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Avocado is one of the best fats you can have. Almonds and cashews are awesome too. I will never understand why people are still scared of fats (and I mean good fats)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my breakfast & lunch around 300 calories & eat more at dinner & bed time snacks. If u work out u can eat all of those exercise calories so it will feel like u eat all the time, even if it is pop tarts & cookies, calories are calories.....:drinker:
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Ok so granted I still have 50lbs to lose. That aside. I've lost 30 lbs eating what I love. I just make sure I'm at a calorie deficit. I do avoid fast food, fried foods, and fat snacks like candy bars, cookies, ect. Which doesn't mean I never eat that stuff, I just keep it to a minimal and make sure to incorporate those items into my allotted calories. I would get so burned out and fail quick if I didn't treat myself so something sweet (learned from past experiences). Listen to your body. You will find what works for you. Just because something works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone. Make sure the changes you make are ones you can stick with. It took me a long time to learn that.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This is a complex topic and you have gotten a lot of good advice here.

What I've learned so far:

3500 calories = 1 pound of fat, so you need to eat that many more calories than you burn to gain a pound of fat. To lose a pound of fat you have to use 3500 more calories than you eat.

A calorie is a calorie, but there are some foods that are better for you because they have nutrients (vitamins, minerals). Also some food will keep you feeling full longer because it has more protein and fiber in it.

When in doubt always reach for the least processed thing. When I started counting calories I was horrified how many calories can even be in a salad (taco salads at Wendy's are not low cal or healthier than a burger). All unprocessed things are healthier (fruits, nuts, veggies, even whole potatoes that are baked are better than processed alternatives).

Just because something is calorie dense does not mean you should avoid it. Sunflower seeds are 200 calories a serving, but they are great for you. I made little snack bags of sunflower seeds and dry roasted almonds for my salads (for around 150 calories). They are both "dense" in calories but they keep me full and they add awesome crunch! I can "afford" them with my salad, veggies and low calorie dressing.

You will figure it out. But the main thing is to move more and operate at a deficit of calories. To start MFP gives you a good set of numbers to start with. Shoot for right around the numbers they give you and you will lose weight. You can change it from there to make it work better for you as you learn what works and what doesn't.

49298353.png