Gym log apps

Options
Not sure if this is the best place for this but oh well...

For the past couple of years I have used an app on my phone called "Dumbbell". It used to be a simple gym log where you could enter your different routines and use it to track progress. Over the last year they have done some upgrades and updates and have screwed it up to say the least.
So does anyone know of a good app that is set up this way? All I want is to be able to create some routines and plug them in on the days I do them without having to add each exercise each time I use it.
The old app would let you add your sets separately as well so you could go back and check your progress. I don't want something with built in routines or timers or any of that just a basic gym log.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try Fitocracy. It lets you create routines. :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use Jefit. It has a browser version and app. I like it :)
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I currently use a caveman method of just writing down all my sets in a notebook.

I started a little project where I was going to enter everything into a little database so I could write queries on it to analyze my progress. I never finished entering all the data... a bit tedious.

But at least I can look back in the notebook to see how far I've come over time. As long as you are keeping track of it somehow, that's the important part.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I currently use a caveman method of just writing down all my sets in a notebook.

I started a little project where I was going to enter everything into a little database so I could write queries on it to analyze my progress. I never finished entering all the data... a bit tedious.

But at least I can look back in the notebook to see how far I've come over time. As long as you are keeping track of it somehow, that's the important part.

I have done this for years but since I started using the app I was using it was easier to just carry my phone instead of my log book.

I tried Jefit and Fitocracy but I got aggravated with them because you can't create your own personalized routines, or I couldn't figure out how, and use them over and over. I am looking for something bare bones, no frills, old school log book style. I don't want to waste 30 minutes in the gym just trying to enter something in an app. I also don't want to create an account and all that garbage. Just want to lift, record it, move it to another date, up the weight on my work sets and repeat.
  • tallmansix
    Options
    I have created custom strength exercises on the MFP app and just record with those. It remember last set/rep/weight so you can recall what you did and decide whether to work up a notch or do the same. Takes seconds to log as they are all in my recent items list.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I use Jefit. It let's me create customized routines, and has built in timer for rest periods etc.
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    I have created custom strength exercises on the MFP app and just record with those. It remember last set/rep/weight so you can recall what you did and decide whether to work up a notch or do the same. Takes seconds to log as they are all in my recent items list.

How does that work?

How do you create an entire routine like that?
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    I use Jefit. It let's me create customized routines, and has built in timer for rest periods etc.

I guess I'm just not smart enough to figure that out?!?! LOL!

That's why I need a bare bones weightlifting log.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well it's not exactly barebones (I actually got rid of it ASAP after they did the update), but it's not a bad app at all and it is fully customizable.

"FitnessBuddy" It got too complicated for me, and I was using another app along with it for 5/3/1. But once you have it set up, it's pretty good.
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    Well it's not exactly barebones (I actually got rid of it ASAP after they did the update), but it's not a bad app at all and it is fully customizable.

"FitnessBuddy" It got too complicated for me, and I was using another app along with it for 5/3/1. But once you have it set up, it's pretty good.

I tried to download that one a while ago and it kept giving me an error message every time. I'll have to try it again. I really wish they would just fix the issues with the one I use now "Dumbbell" but it's getting a little aggravating.

Thanks! :drinker: