Sugar Addict!!

Options
I have a little addiction to sugar and I need help. I have been able to reduce my calorie and sodium intake but I am still eating way way to much sugar. Are there any little tips to helping decrease sugar?

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    research cinnamon capsules.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You need to be more specific about in what ways you eat sugar. Write down a list of sugary things you eat or drink each day. Then think of and find a suitable substitute for each item. Something that you personally think you could do.

For instance when I gave up Coke, I switched to half and half sweet tea. Then after a while I started adding just one teaspoon of sugar to me tea, until now I am happy to drink unsweet tea.

For desserts, try to find a fruit you love and eat it with a little bit of peanut butter or nutella. Then after a few days eat it plain.

For some things you may want to start with eating half or a fourth of whatever it is you are used to eating. Love chocolate ice cream? Buy a one fourth cup measuring spoon/cup and put ice cream into that, then ONLY eat that amount in one day.

I just don't think you should go cold turkey. Your body is used to getting a lot of sugar each day, so it will notice not getting it. If you gradually step away it, then it's more of a mental game.

I started MFP totally addicted to sugar, and I definitely knew it. Over time I have phased those things out and now I really don't crave them like I used to.

To me the key is to find those substitutes that seem doable to you personally though.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    I'd be absolutely shocked if there was ANYONE on Myfitnesspal who doesn't technically "go over" on sugar counts. I stopped keeping track of sugar, because if you eat any fruit you'll go over. Too frustrating. Now, if you're eating tons of "junky sugar," then that's another problem. Join the club!
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    OMG! Girlfriend...your comment sounds like me! I am a total sugar addict, I've put it in check by not even putting it in my mouth, or having it in the house which is difficult because I have an 11 year old daughter who is a sugar addict also but is thin as a twig.

Treat it as if it's a drug, and take one step at a time, eat fruits beause it has more of a natural sugar. One thing my friend told me to try and it's worked wonders is slice up some apples and put cinnamon on them...it's yummy!
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi if it's fruit I wouldn't worry too much. If it's refined sugar I'd suggest you read my recent blog - What is emotional eating?

www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iAlly
  • I talked to a nutritionist and she said that it is more imortant to count calories than sugar. She also said that eating food containing natural sugar (fruits) is ok but once you start gettin into the "bad" sugar (candy) that's a no no. I'm not a big soda drinker but if u r drinking regular soda try diet or even try switching to sugar-free candy and other foods like sugar-free applesauce. Wal-Mart has a version that's made w/ Splenda.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    earlier this week i stopped tracking sugar on here. this is a bad week for me to be a good example but i was not being able to have fruit and that was really bothering me. if you need sugar (non fruit type) look into healthier dips for fruit. my sister in law makes a "crack" dip for apples that has cured me most days. her's uses the entire container but i make mine smaller
    fat free sour cream
    marshmallow fluff
    a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
    so tasty and doesn't kill my day( i make it a tablespoon of each at a time and sometimes leave off the vanilla entirely). i use nutella with bananas sometimes and i love a pb&j sandwich on whole wheat bread if it falls into my calories for the day. just plan and budget. also don't binge because the sugar crashes are no fun.
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I recently did a candida cleanse, Candida makes you crave sugar and carbs. since I did this cleanse I don't crave sugar and I keep losing the lbs for the first time in a long time.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have terrible sweet cravings as well- Consider taking a Chromium supplement to help with the cravings. There are fairly cheap and can be found at most stores- walmart, cvs, target, etc.