Has anyone seen my butt....

Options
I started this wild trip almost two years ago. I went to visit my mom for Christmas, and, as I walked in the door she patted my rather ample belly and said, “you’re getting fat!”. Only a mom can do that! I came back from that trip and had a chat with my wife and owned up to the fact that I was indeed getting fat, I was down to about two pairs of slacks that I could actually fit into and had jeans that I hadn’t fit into in quite a while. I’m 54 and 6”4” tall.

I realized I needed to do something. My wife mentioned that a guy had opened a personal training gym in our small town so I decided to stop in and talk to him the next Saturday. I did that and discussed my need to get something going, some motivation, someone to kick my butt into gear, but I had a few constraints. I travel for my job and am out of town at least 4, sometimes 5, days a week so I could only get to him on Saturdays. He said he could fit me in with the caveat that I would do stuff during the week while I was on the road to continue exercising. I agreed to that. I also have cronic lower back pain from a combination of sciatic problems and probably taking a couple of good shots to the back from hard landings while flying a paraglider several years ago. Patrick, the owner of the gym, said he could work around that.

The gym is small, he has one other trainer and his wife (who is about 98 lbs wet and REALLY in shape) trains as well, so, at most there are only 3 people in the gym at any one time. So, I started doing that one day a week and doing cardio (long walks, elliptical, etc,) during the week. I quickly realized that I NEEDED to do stuff during the week or the Saturday workout would REALLY hurt. The first 3 months or so I would get up on Sunday or Monday aching in some place from the Saturday workout.
I don’t know what weight I started out at, Patrick didn’t believe in scales at that time and didn’t want his clients to stress out on what the scale showed, he has since changed his mind. But, within about 3 months my clothes fit a lot better and I got into those jeans (size 42 waist) that I couldn’t get into before.

After about a year I realized I had plateaued with the workouts and was inching up in weight again since I hadn’t changed my eating habits. I started looking for an iPhone app to do a food diary and stumbled on MFP. And, I’m glad I did. I started logging my food, and, coincidently this was the same time that Patrick bought a scale for his gym. My first weigh-in there was at 256 lbs.

I have become a fanatic at logging my calorie intake, exercise and water. The other trainer chided me for drinking so much diet coke and not enough water after I had complained about cramping. I realized that the only water I was drinking during the week was during the workouts! I changed that and cut out the diet cokes except when I am on a plane (kind of cheating since I fly a lot, but I’m down to 1-2 cans/week).

About 4 weeks into using MFP I convinced my wife to start as well and we bought a home scale so she could weigh in and I switched to using that as my baseline since I could weigh in first thing in the morning on Saturday and not wait until getting to the gym after having breakfast.

People say they have a difficult time when they eat out. I eat out… A LOT!...not only every day, almost EVERY MEAL! Even when I am home on the weekend my wife and I usually have dinner out at least once during the weekend. I simply try to determine serving sizes prior to going out, or choose lower calorie items when I’m out. For example, lunch today out with a group of co-workers, I had a Caesar salad with Salmon, dressing on the side. Push the croutons off to the side, 1 tbsp of dressing, more than enough, 380 calories (two steamed shrimp from a shared shrimp cocktail).

I bought a heart rate monitor recently to get a better handle on calories burned during workouts. I found that I was drastically underestimating the calories burned during my Saturday workouts. I had estimated 500-600….is actually closer to 700-800. I eat most of my workout calories back and Saturdays have always been my big day in that regard. If I know I’m going to be going out with the work crew after work I’ll get up early and do 30 minutes or so on the elliptical, usually good for 300 calories.

Today is my 90th day on MFP and I have lost 36 pounds so far with an initial goal of 20 more. That will put me at 200lbs, a weight that I was at, maybe 20 years ago? The jeans I couldn’t fit into before starting working out are now too loose, and the 40 waist jeans are also too loose. I have a pair of 38s in the closet that are just snug. I have to go find some nice work pants because the ones I have on now are falling off. Need to do that before something embarrassing happens. Oh, and if anyone has seen my butt, I seem to have lost it. Not that I want it back, but I want to make sure it has gone to a nice home, someone that is taking care of it, along with more than half of that ample belly.

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    What a great story. Congrats!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Congratulations!! Hopefully your wife is the only one that has seen where your butt went, lol
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing your story! a great story at that!

Congrats on your success!
  • yessie75
    yessie75 Posts: 152
    Options
    Thanks for your inspiring story. Keep up the good work :)
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You are hilarious........Congrats on your success. That is awesome. Oh, and even though I'm overweight I don't have much of a butt so I've decided if I can't have a butt that sticks out much, it's gonna be the hardest butt it can be. To eat or not to eat? Oh yeah, eat! and workout.
  • christina1109
    Options
    Awesome work. Great story.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Awesome story - much like my own. Best of luck on the last 20 - I have 29 to go!
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Truly an inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing your story! I can relate to all of that and I'm only 32. But I'm on the right track! Your story will help me get down to 200! I haven't seen your butt b/c mine is missing too. Always has. I'm all gut and love handles. Hopefully that all shifts around! :)
  • strongerthanb4
    Options
    fantastic! congratulations and continued success!
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    What a great story on your journey. I wish you more successes.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome!! Isn't it empowering to know when you make your mind up to do something you can achieve it if you work hard enough! You should feel very proud.
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the major change in lifestyle! I really enjoyed reading your story. You must have so much more energy now!

It's also great that you and your wife can do this together and support each other, I found that was key to my success :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!