any lifting ladies use creatine

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Creatine overloads the kidneys in traditional medicine
    The only times I have seen that happen, is when done in studies, and they take way more than the recommended dosage.
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    Natural food sources pardon
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've taken Creatine forever. 5 grams/day, drink 2-3 liters of water a day. I've never had any side effects from it. Creatine is one of the most if not the most studied supplement, with a lot of science to back it's effectiveness.

I think a lot of people are clueless what it does, thinking it directly builds muscle, being that it does increase water retention at the muscle cellular level, making you look "more pumped". Helping you get through/have the energy for that 15-20 second of reps is how it indirectly helps you build muscle.

^^^^
    This nails it. Creatine is not a magic bullet for instant muscle size and strength gain, but it will allow you to squeeze out an extra rep or two per set, which will add to your results over time. Given creatine is cheap and has no real side effects, even if it only adds 5% to your performance in the gym it represents great value.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I dont take supplements so i can't give any input into this topic but still a good read.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Been taking creatine for about 15+ yrs now....off and on....
    Things still working as they should be.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, creatine is contraindicated for individuals with kidney disease, diabetes, and/or blood sugar problems. Aside from that, it's considered safe -- and there's a pretty big user base out there and has been for quite some time.

There's a small dose of creatine monohydrate in my pre-workout supplement, like 1.5 grams. I haven't seen any serious negative side effects. I have seen some benefits I think I can reasonably attribute to the creatine. I notice that when I've taken it, I can power through a workout better with greater weight increases than otherwise, and usually I seem to recover more quickly too. It's recommended as a post-workout supplement, but given my n00b level, I don't figure I need that much of it. I do like to have a pork chop for dinner after a good lifting session, and some extra ham in my breakfast before.

Of course creatine doesn't include any hormones; it's just a compound of amino acids. But if you wander around hair loss forums, you'll see a lot of discussion there about people taking it to stimulate testosterone production and hair growth. And if you check out acne forums, you'll see a lot of posts linking creatine supplementation with excessive acne.

My face has been breaking out in the past month -- could be related, could be coincidence, who knows -- it's not normal for me at my age, but I don't have a hormonal "normal" yet after the hysterectomy. I just don't have a good baseline to compare this with anymore. I definitely have not had accelerated growth in body hair. Hair on my head, I couldn't tell ya; I haven't had it cut in several months. I shed enough to weave my own Kevlar and make a nice bulletproof vest, but it doesn't seem any thicker or thinner than usual.

Re the bizarre sex and orgasm posts from the brand new mystery MFPer... uh, yeah, no. Just no. :huh: No.

My pre-workout supplement has been discontinued, so I'll finish the bottle within a month and try going without for a few weeks, then decide whether to go for the pure stuff. If my face clears up and my stress/aggression level goes down, I'll probably pass on it and be content with lower, slower strength gains.

So that's my "user report." Bear in mind that what I'm using is a multi-supplement and it's not taken daily, so my experience definitely isn't a perfect reflection of what creatine can do for or to you. Just another data point you can consider.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Bwahaha OMG

I started ON micronized last week. I have had some strength gains, but I'm also bulking right now so it's hard to say if that's from the food or the creatine. I haven't really noticed much bloat and haven't had any other issues with it. We'll see how it goes.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    also to note, the body does produce creatine naturally.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I used it for 3 weeks, probably not enough time to see any serious results. I hated it. I was bloated and constipated. My husband said that he felt that way during the load phase. I didn't do a loading phase, but it definitely made me constipated. As soon as I stopped taking it, I felt better. Not that will happen to you, but it was a serious problem for me.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I take the micronized creatine monohydrate pre and post workout. I've been on it for about 4-5 weeks and whether it is coincidence or not, I have noticed a difference in both strength and muscles appearing =)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I studied the pros & cons of adding creatine to my daily supplements, it really depends on just how BIG you want to get! I personally do not feel comfortable using it because, I read that it can cause excess hair growth, and knowing my luck it would be in all the wrong places, lol! Plus my mother had to have estrogen & hormone shots before I was concieved so I am already blessed with baby fine (lanugo) hair on my arms, head and legs, I keep schick in the razor business, lol!
    Good Luck whatever you decide keep us posted!

Full blown retarded mode engaged
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    what happened to all the unfounded creatine will make you die and not be able to have sex statements?
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Bump. Interested in the pro's and con's!
  • MityMax96
    Options

Done as recommended, I don't see cons, unless you have stomach issues with creatine.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    Options

Done as recommended, I don't see cons, unless you have stomach issues with creatine.

That's my main worry! But I'll need to try in order to find out I guess ;).
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Just drink your water. Very important w/ creatine.....
    Well important regardless. :happy:
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    You won't know until you try it, but it is an extremely safe product to use should you decide to try it. There are no cons, the science clearly shows that there are no harmful side effects of creatine supplementation.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    Options
    Will give it a try as soon as my squat rack arrives :happy:!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    what happened to all the unfounded creatine will make you die and not be able to have sex statements?
    Same thing that happened to my "balloon penis" gif, moderated out of existence I guess. Leaving what looks like an awkward moment between me and fitandgeeky. :grumble: :ohwell: