Fitness trackers?

Options
I recently started walking a few miles a day (I think), and now my android app that tracked it is being unreliable and no longer working. I get extra time to walk in wherever I can and was wondering what you MFP users recommend for the best fitness trackers/pedometers?

Replies

• _amluvstld_
    Options
    For walking/running I use MapMyRun+. I haven't seen any straight pedometer apps.
  • GGut
    GGut Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I credit some of my weights loss to sports tracker. Its a pretty decent app and when you buy the Bluetooth HRM that the company makes to sync with the app its a million times better. I stopped logging distances and just when for logging heart rate. Either way... good app
  • arcticqueen
    arcticqueen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use Fitbit Flex. I like it because most of my exercise is walking my dog, for about an hour (or more) most days. I don't have to log it into MFP because it syncs automatically. That way I only have to log other exercises that I do. You can program in your stride and it lets you know how many miles you get in each day. I aim for 10,000 steps (about 4.5-5 miles) a day and I can check it with my phone throughout the day to see where I am. It also tracks sleep, calories and exercise minutes.
  • nickiev214
    nickiev214 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For walking/running I use MapMyRun+. I haven't seen any straight pedometer apps.

Me too. MapMyRun or MapMyWalk.
  • livedb
    livedb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm using Runtastic for my Biking mostly, But it does great with almost all sports. Syncs right to myfitnesspal as well. I have checked it's accuracy and found it to be spot on for miles and speed / elevation gain loss.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of apps out there, but I don't like to carry my phone when I exercise. I've had a Fitbit for years and I LOVE it (I've bought them for my two oldest boys, both my parents have one now, my brother, and now he's getting one for his wife ... we're a Fitbit family!). It's just SO great to put it on and forget it, yet have so much information from all day (and night!).

I did a post about everything it does on my blog if you wanted to check it out (I don't get any kickback from Fitbit, just a fan!)
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondering-about-fitbit.html
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm using Runtastic for my Biking mostly, But it does great with almost all sports. Syncs right to myfitnesspal as well. I have checked it's accuracy and found it to be spot on for miles and speed / elevation gain loss.

Does it track calories burnt?
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I also use the Fitbit Flex. I've had pedometers, but for some reason I never remembered to put them on regularly. The fitbit flex is usually on my wrist the vast majority of the time (I don't wear it in the bathroom or when it's charging) :) It is waterproof, but I don't like wearing it while it's wet.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Strava and/or MapMyRun here.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use runtastic road bike . It is designed for cycling, but runtastic has many products for different sports available. I think I paid 5 buck for it. Of course you can spend more if you get a subscription. I get distance, pace, elevation, a gps map of my route, calories burned and about anything else you might think of. I like it very much

I also use the bodymedia link armband. I like it as well. It connects by bluetooth to my phone, so I an get updates on calories burned, etc at any time during the day. It requires an subscription of about $60. I think it is well worth it. I picked the bodymedia product over fitbit because it was supposed to do a better job with cycling. Not sure that is true, but it sold me. Also, I believe the show biggest loser uses the bodymedia armband.
  • filemanager
    filemanager Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I recently installed "Moves". It's pretty cool but I don't know how accurate it is.
  • livedb
    livedb Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Does it track calories burnt?

It calculates it and then reports it here. I track all that here on My fitnesspal.

I just did weight lifting, and I just told it what I did and for how long and it sent the calories here. Cool stuff!!
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Fitbit one since last December - I think its great! It logs steps taken, stairs climbed, distance travelled (you can put in your stride length ) and even logs how restless you are sleeping !

It also syncs with MFP - it doesn't measure non walking /running e.g weight lifting etc but overall it's very good and it's certainly motivates me to get off my butt more than I 'used to'

Good luck choosing
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper
  • keepintrac2
    keepintrac2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper which is one of the myfitness apps