The impossible became possible, I have become a runner

Options
Well folks, the day has come! The day that I thought never, ever could be possible. The day that I have tried for, for years and failed numerous times. For this attempt, finally after 9 weeks and 2 days, I have become a runner. I have had my first, as they say, (I think) "floating run". I could have kept going tonight. I came home at dusk, changed into my running capris, long sleeves shirt (it was 58 degrees, and wonderful), my flashing arm band, my phone in hand, my HRM, and out I went. I felt great, I ran, I still felt great, I kept going, I still felt great, I went on, I didn't feel like walking, I felt great still, I was smiling, mile 2 came, wow, I still felt great, really? I didn't want to stop? I kept going, I went faster, and felt great, really? Was it beacuse it was getting dark, cooler temperatures, I didn't want to get hit on a country road, I kept going and still felt great. Wow! Is this what it's supposed to feel like to run? Is this what "they" talk about? All those runner people who love to run, is this what they mean? Did I finally experience some of what they have?

I have triend year in and year out to get there. I have failed each and every single time. I have no idea why this time I stuck with it, why this time it finally clicked. This time I have also lost 30 lbs. along the way. Maybe that has helped, maybe? I am older, more mature maybe, a different attitude, a different perspective? Who knows! Does it matter? All that matters is that I did it! It finally worked.
And when I was done, I cried. Yes, I cried! It was an amazing moment for me. I feel I can now call myself a runner. I ran a semi decent pace for a semi decent distance and I felt damn good and I could have done more! Yay me!!

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I too am crossing that leap. I hated and I mean I hated running!! My trainer used to tell me a serial killer was chasing me with a knife and I told her I would stop and KILL him I hate running THAT much. But slowly day by day, we have added more and more and I can now run MORE than I walk.. GO RUNNERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • Fiveling
    Fiveling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! It's always great when people really enjoy their exercise. I'm yet to have a floating run, but I'm learning to like them nonetheless.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    That is fabulous. I'm not all that fond of running either but really think I should pick it up. Variety is the spice of life.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Your there. Congrats!

More tears to come, but that is a good thing ;).
  • tificreole
    tificreole Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic. I have felt like this ... back in July and would love to feel like this again. The losing 30lbs I am pretty sure contributed to that feeling as well... Good on you and keep the good work.
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I remember getting in those runs that made me cry. Everything felt wonderful, the weather, the scenery, the run, knowing my body my legs could take me so far. Congratulations on this moment!! Running is an amazing activity!!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    That sounds so great! I am trying so hard to get there!
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Praise the Lord! You go!
  • lleesmann
    Options
    Congratulations! You should feel soooo proud of yourself. I've found that fall is the perfect time for floating runs. :) Keep it up!
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Congratulations! That really is one of the best moment when you feel like you can run forever! Welcome to the club! :happy:
  • ambootcamp
    ambootcamp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yay You!!! You are a runner!!! I am so happy to hear the joy in your words - you are awesome :)
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm still smiling and super proud. I've tried so hard in years past and hated it so much that this is huge! Amazing really! MFP has played a big part too and all the support here!! It's been a good day :-)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    nice work... hate to be the voice of reason, but, increase your distances at a healthy rate... I messed myself up once I hit that feeling... cranked up my mileage too fast... i'd just hate to see you go thru what I went thru (ran 7mi and destroyed my ankle)
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    That is WONDERFUL!! Congrats!!
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It really is an amazing feeling. It's hard to describe, but bliss when achieve. Your legs did this, your strength & determination. Congratulations.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! So happy for you! :flowerforyou: