Do you sweat during your weight lifting session?

Options
I do weight training in the gym on a typical day for about 45 minutes (usually followed by another 45 mins of cardio) but I find I really don't sweat a lot during the weight lifting, unless it's leg day. :P During my sets I feel like I'm working really hard, but by the end of the 45 minutes I usually feel a bit bummed that I haven't worked up a serious sweat.
Do you find that you sweat when you are lifting? Am I not doing enough? I really feel like I am lifting as much as I possibly can (I usually do 3 sets of 8-12 reps depending on the heaviness of the weight.

I would love it if you shared your experience. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    depends on the day ..on my lowers day I sweat a little more but on upper days not so much ..i usually rest about two to 2.5 minutes between reps and about the same between sets...

Sweating is not an indicator of how hard you are working..you can do a bunch of dumb *kitten* stuff and sweat a bunch and be getting zero benefit from it ..

so I would not be too concerned about sweat level....
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Yes. A lot. My scalp down to my feet. My t-shirt is usually waterlogged and sticking to me.

Do you use free weights, machines? Compound exercises at the core or isolation moreso?
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    depends on the day ..on my lowers day I sweat a little more but on upper days not so much ..i usually rest about two to 2.5 minutes between reps and about the same between sets...

Sweating is not an indicator of how hard you are working..you can do a bunch of dumb *kitten* stuff and sweat a bunch and be getting zero benefit from it ..

This, in general weight training does not increase HR for long enough to make you pour unless your volume is reasonably high and rest low
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Free weights for upper body (mostly)
    I use more machines when I am doing lower body for things like leg press, leg curls, extensions etc.
    Thanks ndj1979, that's really helpful. :smile:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I breathe hard, and my heart rate is up, but I am just not one of those people whose sweats easily.
  • wilddavid
    wilddavid Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do if I compress the routine and cut the rest times down... But I tend to back my lifting straight onto cardio so my heart is already fairly primed from the cardio and spikes quickly.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't really sweat as much as just get kinda 'steamy' :laugh: If I do something like stand too close to a mirror, it kinda steams up :blushing:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I use more machines when I am doing lower body for things like leg press, leg curls, extensions etc.

add in squats and deadlifts if you are not already ...
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I do supersets, kind of like circuit training so I always work up a sweat.

@hookilau... You are dreamy..... I mean steamy! haha
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    About 1/10th as much as I do while doing cardio. Having said that, the big exercises will affect me the most, try doing some brutal squats and see how much you sweat then. Doing leg press and leg curls and such is very easy in comparison.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat I glisten
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't sweat I glisten

bahahahahaha good one
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I do, a lot, starting by about a third of the way through. I rotate through a set with a different body part instead of resting between sets. Then back to the 2nd set on the first body part, etc.

I don't sweat in general unless I'm exercising or it's very hot out. Then I pour buckets, lol.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I sweat, but it's not pouring off during my strength training. When I do my cardio I am dripping.
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

add in squats and deadlifts if you are not already ...

Oh yes, wouldn't miss those for anything, :smile:
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Yep sweat like a *kitten* in church. Dripping down my face, my chest, it's quite a sight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I grab 4 towels to start with when I hit the door on the way in... lol :tongue:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Like a barn animal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

/thread
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    after a couple sets of squats and deadlifts I am the sweaty weirdo panting all the way to the water fountain. Other than that, not really after any upper body work outs. Even though I'm not sweating, I still feel sore the next day and that the way I know I worked my *kitten* off :)