Tips on how to drink your daily water?

Options
I am trying so hard to drink 64 ounces of water a day. The problem is I'm never thirsty during the day. Even when I work out, I only drink maybe 8 ounces during my 1-hour workout. How do you all get your water intake in for the day?

Replies

• Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    U just drink it, I don't drink water because I'm thirsty. I drink because I know I have to. Somewhere between 12-15 cups a day.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Um, open mouth, pour in and swallow? Sorry to be a smart@ss, but how do you need tips? Just do it already. St a timer to remind yourself if you forget.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Days like today when I just wasn't feeling it and wasn't very thirsty, I added some flavor drops (sugar free kool aid drops today) to my water at work, and tonight I'm drinking ice water with a straw. It feels like more than water. :)
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Have a 12 oz glass or larger one handy. Drink 2 glasses as soon as you get up. During your workout have a large glass & drink during it. Between all your meals drink at least one large glass. In the evening drink another glass.
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Please remember everything is a guideline, you may only need the equivalent of 4 glasses a day when some else needs 12. Now before we get super technical as to why there is a fairly easy way to monitor. Pay close attention to the color or your urine. Very light yellow to clear is ideal. Any darker then very light yellow and you need to drink more. Really simple as that....
  • nickyvw
    nickyvw Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Um, open mouth, pour in and swallow? Sorry to be a smart@ss, but how do you need tips? Just do it already. St a timer to remind yourself if you forget.

Yes, I am fully aware of the mechanics of drinking water. Now, your tip about setting a timer was a tip I could use.
  • nickyvw
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I will try some of these tips. I just have to force myself to get it down. Now if it were beer, I'd totally be able to get all my glasses in! lol
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything you drink (besides alcohol) will hydrate your body. I get my water from coffee, tea, pop. milk etc. So, if you don't like drinking "pure" water, nothing to worry about.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Drink beer if it fits your budget. There is no reason you need drink 64 oz of water a day. That's totally broscience along with drinking 1/2 your weight in ounces.

Your urine should be pale yellow, that's how you tell if you're hydrated. You get fluid from the foods you eat (an apple is 85% water) and other things you drink during the day. Your body doesn't care if it gets hydration from an apple, your morning coffee, the soup you had at lunch or your beer after work. It's all fluid and it all keeps you hydrated.

There's also no magical weight loss properties to drinking a lot of water. It doesn't flush out fat but drinking too much can flush out vitamins and minerals that your body needs. The only advantage to drinking a lot when dieting is that a large glass of water before a meal may help you eat less.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Listen to Mokey! That is truth!
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of cold herbal teas (made with just the tea and water), or I put lemon juice in my water, for flavor. I always have a very large glass with me when I'm home (it's actually a large vase--LOL), and I just make sure I drink...sipping all day. If I notice I haven't drank anything significant in a couple of hours, I make myself drink half the glass. I also make sure to drink a couple of 8 oz glasses before I work out in the morning, & always drink during my workouts. When I go out, I always have my water bottle with me. Once you get used to drinking more water, your body will crave it, and it won't seem like much of an effort.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Just drink it, especially if you don't dislike drinking it. I drink most of my water after I've eaten. I normally eat oranges as a snack and those really make me thirsty, so I need at least 8 oz of water and can make myself drink 16 oz. Try eating a healthy snack, like fruit, that will make you thirsty.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have a 24oz tumbler that I fill with ice water every morning and take to the office with me. It's always on my desk and full of water, so I drink on it without really thinking about it. I tend to average 62oz at least in a day this way, but I don't stress over getting X ounces, so if I happen to only get 24 oz in a day, I don't worry. Honestly, the best thing I did for my water intake was to stop tracking it and just limit drinking other things. I still drink tea and soda and coffee, but now it's a conscious choice to do so instead of just the first thing I grab.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Because I work out so hard each day of the week, I drink 8-12 glasses of water a day. I want to keep well hydrated and if I don't drink enough water my calf muscles will cramp.

I make sure I take water to the gym with me, and I also keep a full 16 ounce container on my desk. At home, when I'm in the kitchen, I grab a glass of water.

You just need to make yourself drink enough water.

What helps me, too, is that I rarely drink soda, and when I do it's a treat like diet 7up or diet Root Beer (neither have caffeine).

Oh...and I happen to LOVE water. That's a plus.
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also drink a lot of cold herbal iced tea. I have an Iced Tea Maker (by Mr. Coffee), and that makes brewing it really easy.

I try to stay away from sugar free stuff (like Crystal Light), simply because it seems to trigger sweet cravings for me.

I like to drink hot tea in the evenings, or flavored seltzer water (not the stuff with artificial sweeteners, but just flavored club soda) with a splash of cranberry juice

Drinking 64 oz of plain water gets old, so you have to change it up a bit from time to time..
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Herbal teas, *naturally* flavored or unflavored carbonated water (soda water). If you go for flavors the kinds without the aspartame are probably a better bet. I find the aspartame ones to be sickingly sweet and bother my stomach.

I keep a bottle of water next to me and just know I'm going to be running to the bathroom every 1/2 hour.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like my water icy cold, so I freeze a bottle until it's just mushy and then drink/crunch the ice for an hour instead of snacking on crap, it's a good diversion technique when I'm craving chips/crunchy food too :)

I drink about 300-500ml of water with breakfast, and always have a bottle of water on hand throughout the day, which makes up at least another 500-1000ml. I make sure I drink a huge glass at dinner, around 500ml, sometimes a bit more, (makes me feel fuller too) and on top of that at least 500ml of water intake is made up of my icy drink.

You can try adding lemon juice to the water which aids with digestion, diet cordial, or get a Soda Stream and make your own fizzy water.

I've had five kids so I know what pressure is like on your bladder when you drink so much, but if you take it in smaller amounts over the course of the day instead of in big forced drinks then its not as bad. You could also try to get yourself in the habit of having a small drink when you do something else, so maybe when you wash your hands you have a cup of water or something?
  • nickyvw
    Options
    These are all such great ideas. Thanks for the responses!! :drinker:
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Here's some ideas to make your water a bit more interesting to drink but sorry that no beer is added to any of them :drinker:

http://skinnyms.com/fat-flushing-recipes-flush-fat-with-these-5-delicious-drinks/