Tips on learning to like exercise

Options
How do you learn to like exercise? I never stick with it and now that I'm in my 50's I have no choice.

Replies

• Cattfish42
    Cattfish42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I walk and listen to audiobooks
  • itscoezy
    Options
    I walk and listen to audiobooks

Love this idea!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Audio books are great!
    They get you caught up in the story and you forget you walking!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and began lifting heavy weights this year. I started with stronglifts 5x5 and now do 5/3/1 four days a week.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Try a lot of different things so you can find out what you like best. I love some things and hate others. I try weird stuff like even belly dance, and I'm so glad I did! I really enjoy it, even though I'll never perform it in public in an outfit, lol.

Greek solo dancing? Just throwing out ideas. You never know what's going to feel right until you try!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Try new things. Try things you never thought you could do. Keep trying until you find something you enjoy. You may not enjoy it a lot when you first start, but you'll feel exhilarated afterwards. Then one day you'll wake up and realize you're looking forward to doing it and when you skip a day you'll miss it.

Mine was running. I always thought I hated running. I decided to try C25K back in February and I got hooked. I run 5 miles a week. It's not a lot but it's enough and I truly enjoy it and look forward to it. I didn't start until I was 50 either, by the way!
  • jobrandes
    jobrandes Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For me it is finding what you like to do. I know that I don't like running for exercise so I don't do it. I have found that there are some cardio workouts (I workout at home) that I like and some I don't. I REALLY enjoy lifting and I found a wonderful lifting DVD that works wonders and I love so for me, it is really about finding what you enjoy and then you will want to workout. If you don't like it I really think it is because you haven't' found what you enjoy.

Just my two cents.

Jo
  • giagbreak
    giagbreak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I use a treadmill, I watch movies and tv shows on my tablet. If it's something that's not in English and has subtitles, I find that even better, since I have to concentrate on the screen to read what's happening; it helps keep my mind occupied and the time passes by faster.
  • kejoca
    kejoca Posts: 2
    Options
    Audio books are great!
    They get you caught up in the story and you forget you walking!

I've honestly never tried this before. I might find a book I've been meaning to read and try it!

I have to admit I'm very bad with commitment to exercise, so I try to assign a reward system. If I can manage to keep up with my exercise for a week, I buy myself some token item -- like a movie on iTunes/Amazon or lunch at a restaurant instead of my usual homemade fare. It's expensive, but I figure as long as it's within my budget, it's fine and conducive to my health in the long run.

Maybe someday I'll condition myself to like exercising without the carrot on a stick. ;)
  • jerney623
    jerney623 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started on MFP and made a commitment to exercise every day for 10 minutes. I have found that more often than not I will be tired and not want to exercise at all, but because my commitment is ONLY 10 minutes then I get off my butt and will start to exercise and once I begin I keep going! Tonight I didn't want to exercise at all but started and was on my Wii Fit Plus for 40 minutes and I was seriously surprised. I also am trying alot of different Wii games to keep me interested and trying to not take it too seriously (other than my minimum commitment of time). I am also trying to sneak exercise into my daily life by taking stairs instead of elevator.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    You just have to find a way to make it work for you. I found that once I found workout programs I enjoyed (like Chalene Johnson's and Blogilates) it was something I looked forward to. My husband was the same way when he started listening to podcasts and audio books while working out. You just have to find out what stimulates you. Try a bunch of different things. When you find one that you enjoy stick with it and just evolve it from there.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    The options for exercise are limitless. Try it all until you find something you enjoy. Dance, yoga, swimming, roller blading, hiking, bike riding, kick boxing...
    Sites like groupon have deals on Yoga and stuff. Try and sample stuff until you find something you like
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Another vote for trying a bunch of different things until you find what you like. I tried classes, DVDs, machines, everything I could get access to. In the end, I love lifting weights and I like running (which I always thought I hated). I'm never going to be a competitive runner, I'll probably never even do a race, but it's my favorite cardio by far because I don't get bored and I can do it outside.

Once you find something you like doing, you'll find that you look forward to it and get disappointed when you can't rather than forcing yourself to do it.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The important thing is actually moving. Find something that is fun for you.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I agree with finding something you like. I normally listen to my own music playlist and that often helps me to push harder and go the extra mile.