Migraines and tdee??

Options
Been having trouble with mfp and getting migraines every time I start tracking. They are severe with aura and vomiting. Assuming the calorie deficit is too harsh despite selecting 0.5 lb per week. Thinking about trying tdee method and 10% deficit. Wdyt? Have 7kgs to lose.

Replies

• LevyWife
    Options
    any chance it's because you're drastically cutting something from your diet that you usually eat?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    TDEE with a deficit should work out the same as using MFP except you don't have to track your exercise. TDEE doesn't mean you get to eat more. Highly unlikely that eating at a small deficit is causing migraines. Have you also given up coffee, tea or sodas?
  • needingsleep
    needingsleep Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok then in that case it must be the cutting out of junk stuff eg chocolate or sugar. So maybe a little bit each day....surely not ???
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Ok then in that case it must be the cutting out of junk stuff eg chocolate or sugar. So maybe a little bit each day....surely not ???

There's nothing wrong with having chocolate or sugar in moderation, as long as you are hitting your goals.

For me, migraines are far more dependent on environment. Have you changed anything else? I mean anything, new light bulbs? Longer time in traffic? Weather changes that include barometer swings can do it.
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As a fellow migraine sufferer I can say that quitting anything cold turkey that you've been eating or doing for years could cause it, depending on what your personal triggers are. Like others have said, there is nothing inherently wrong with eating a little chocolate, or a little sugar each day. The key is moderation. If you want to slowly move towards a cleaner diet that's admirable, and I think you will find that over time that you can achieve that without the nasty side effects of it triggering a migraine. Actually I've cut the majority of the processed foods out of my diet and found that I get far less migraines overall now, though there definitely was a period of adjustment that I went through to "wean" myself off of them. Good luck to you, as migraines are certainly no fun!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Changes that make me hungrier do give me more migraines, apparently because blood sugar issues are one of my triggers.

I have to not let myself get hungry while also figuring out how to keep my deficit, yeah. That's rougher than doing it with no deficit ;) For me, I have to eat a lot more earlier in the day than I used to (I've been weight training, too). I really do have to eat throughout the day now. So consider blood sugar swings or lows. I don't ever have food triggers for my migraines, but hunger absolutely does it.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

You should be able to fit these into your daily diary, and unless you are diabetic I wouldn't try to meet your MFP sugar goal particularly if you try and get most of your sugar from fruit etc
  • needingsleep
    needingsleep Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Always makes more sense talking with fellow sufferers. Hunger is definitely a trigger, as are other non food related eg. Hot weather, bright flash of light, lack of sleep, busy/stressful times. My trouble is that in terms of willpower I tend to do better cutting things like chocolate out completely. If I have a little I want the whole block!! Oh well I will try for a little a day and see how it goes. Ironically about an hour after I typed the post I got a stinking migraine!! Typical. Unfortunately it's making exercise almost impossible to get into a routine.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Oh, it'll do that!

I had to bump up my calories just a bit. It'll take a little while longer to get to goal weight, but I couldn't take the migraines, either. Mine's still not higher than my maintenance will be at goal weight, so it should work fine, I think. Good luck!