HELLLPPP!!!!UNDER CALORIES BUT OVER SODIUM

Options
2»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I have never tracked sodium and it has not affected my weight loss at all. Unless you have health condition where you should limiting it, don't worry about it.

Yup. This is me too. Now sugar, that's a horse of a different color :blushing:
  • DeeKayElle
    DeeKayElle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs prior to beginning the next leg of my weight loss here. I have always found that, aside from health issues, sodium makes a huge difference in how and when you see your weight loss on the scale. Several years ago, I was capable of going a month without seeing a loss at all, but once I saw a 12 lb weight loss in less than 2 days. Let's just say I didn't get much sleep that night as my body dropped the water.

So I did a little research, and what I decided to try, after reading an article on some research that seemed to indicate that it wasn't just the level of sodium but the balance between sodium and potassium, was not just to lower my sodium but raise potassium. Potassium is essential for the body in washing out sodium. I've found this works for me to even out the weight loss I see on the scale. No more interminable plateaus or crazy flooding.

I find the pattern my body follows is to gain water weight for a day or two and then drop more than I gained for the next day or two. Some people say to only weight every week at the most because of the fluctuations, but I weight religiously every day. It gives me a sense of safety to know exactly what is happening with my body. It is hard to see weight loss disappear before it reappears, but gradually I've learned to trust my body, to expect this little wavy ride, and remember my diet isn't about numbers, it's about actual fat loss. If I'm sticking to my goals and I gain weight, I know that's the result of fat disappearing and my body replacing it with water, and that is better for my skin and electrolyte system. My body knows best. Sigh. <Stamps foot> <fume>

Oh well. The pattern is predictable, which is the point.

Water, you know, actually weighs more than fat. Think oil and water. Water is heavy. That's why it's on the bottom and the fat is floating on top.

Sources of potassium require a little more research to decide what foods are right for you. It isn't listed on a lot of packaging, though it may be in the food, so you need to go to the web sometimes to find the info you need. Personally I would not take potassium in pills. An overdose can be very dangerous.

If you're not diabetic, fruit is the most obvious option. Heck, fruit is a good option anyway, and full of phytonutrients, but if you're diabetic you have to parcel it out slowly and eat it with other foods. I took the advice of someone here and freeze bananas in one inch pieces for sweet treats and a little extra potassium.

I have two recipes I like to use to up-potassium. One is a highly condensed mushroom mousse that has pureed mushrooms and very little else. I also have a similar eggplant dip I make. Both are low in sugar and very low in calories. One of the first things to do is see what you can do with low-calorie vegetables you like, using a little imagination to make them yummy and available in your fridge all day long.

If you like crunchy vegetables and greens, that's a superb easy resource. But I do not like crunchy vegetables much. They usually have a fair amount of sugar, too, and I'd rather spend my extremely limited sugar on something I actually enjoy.

So my favorite simple potassium fix is is avocado. Avocado has a lot of calories so you need to decide how it will fit into your diet. The calories are from fat, too, but it's chock-full of omegas and I welcome this addition to my diet. Best of all, they are loaded with potassium and have ZERO sugar.

Bottom line, though, it's calories-in and calories-out that will create fat loss. Sodium and potassium have nothing to do with actual fat loss, only numbers on a scale. "Weight loss" is inevitably a number tied to a scale, which is a crude measurement of what is going on with your body and your increasing health.

Don't focus only on any number on the scale or in your diary. Think "fat loss," "muscle gain," and "better health = more fun!"
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    We so often see people try to put themselves on every common medically required diet, all at the same time - low salt, low sugar, low cholesterol. Is it any wonder so many people fail?

Even my doctor took me off my low-oxalate (kidney stones) and low-cholesterol diet, after he saw how well I was regulating my diet overall, and that I was keeping well hydrated.

Moral of the story - a well regulated diet generally doesn't require anything more in terms of tracking individual nutrients. And will be much easier to adhere to as a result.
    It's almost like it's trendy to have a medically required diet.:noway: I manage a liquor store and we get dozens of people purchasing gluten free beer because they have a perception that it is healthier than regular beer. :laugh: Very few of them even know what gluten is and seem to think it is related to MSG. :huh:
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    That means nothing to me.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes me bloat if I go over, but I just drink a lot of water or exercise and it flushes out. It's more important to reach your other calorie goals for the day, like net calories, protein, carbs, and fat.
    I have to disagree with this response. I believe sodium is just as important as what you've listed. Not many ppl keep their sodium between 1500mg - 1700mg (men)..as the member above shared you have to be constantly vigilant on label reading.

It surprises me what I see shared on so many threads when others ask this same question and ppl respond that sodium doesn't matter unless you high blood pressure. I feel it DOES matter, even if you don't have issues, you don't want to get them do you?

I'm not talking high level athletes that burn cals quickly and sweat profusely that need to be sure they keep their sodium levels up. I'm talking about the rest of us.

I wasn't implying that tracking sodium is not important. I do track mine and try to keep it low. What I meant was not to stop eating for the day just because you are over your sodium levels, especially if you have a lot of left over calories.
  • SpencerMama
    Options
    me too! im not sure what im doing wrong but im way over sodium. a little over sugar and under in everything else
  • CoolBeans520
    Options
    Keep your potassium and sodium ratio 2:1 which means if you have 2000mg of sodium have 4000mg of potassium which adds up a lot anyway if eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, and
    lean meat. Plus believe or not drinking more water helps eliminate water retention. I drink at least a gallon a day.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Just drink more water.

Problem solved.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would pay more attention to what type of salt your are consuming than the amount of it. Avoid processed salt and favor mineral rich unprocessed like celtic sea salt or hymilayan pink salt. Those are good for you!