Fruit and sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• Code7526
    Options
    If you want to be healthy make sure all the food you eat is unprocessed.

Eat fresh fruit and vegetables, fresh meat, fresh fish, fresh eggs and fresh milk.

Stay away from processed foods as much as you can.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you want to be healthy make sure all the food you eat is unprocessed.

Eat fresh fruit and vegetables, fresh meat, fresh fish, fresh eggs and fresh milk.

Stay away from processed foods as much as you can.

I will. As soon as I can afford a farm near the ocean. Just kidding!
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    as long as I know my sugar comes from the natural sugars in fruit, I wont worry about it. I'm also prediabetic so I have set a limit and I avoid white bread, cakes as much as possible. It's the refined sugars that are evil! :wink:
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I believe it and I know it's true. I'm well on my way living up the high carb / sugar lifestyle!

Freelee and Durainrider on YouTube for example... FWIW, take a look http://www.inspirawtion.com/Freelee.html (her YouTube videos she uploads are well worth the watch) & (excuse the profanity lol) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Le5qyD2fwk
    I watched that youtube video. In part of it the guy actually says that you can go get a PhD in Nutrition and never learn what he knows. The guy is a whack-job. He also says that he eats 2500 Calories per day, not an unlimited number. He's still completely nuts.

Good luck with this... but if you *do* eat an excess of calories from fruit, you *will* gain weight. That's just scientific fact. When you gain that weight, let us know and we can help you lose it.
  • toholio
    toholio Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what others have said: don't obsess over the "sugar" goal. Feel free to ignore it completely and think about total carbs if you prefer.
    wait, so you honestly believe that the stuff coming from fruit is somehow different?

Well, it is easier to binge on sugar if you're adding it to things. Harder to go nuts with a few pieces of fruit and they have plenty of non-sugar related positive attributes too. I suppose you could say that makes fruit different but I understand what you meant.

Sugar is sugar though. My pet peeve is people who think fructose specifically is magic compared to other sugars and who generally also don't realize how much glucose and sucrose various fruits have. Apricots are a particular surprise (63% of their sugar is sucrose, 25% is glucose, and 10% is fructose).
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Fruit will not make you fat OR unhealthy. It just is not possible in any way, shape or form. Look at long term fruitarians eating as much fruit as they want in a day. Extremely LEAN & HEALTHY! Look up Dr. Doug Graham, Freelee, Durianrider, Mimi Kirk, Annette Larkins, Kristina Fully Raw, Chris Randall... need I say more?

not true. Eating too much of anything will make you overweight. because of the water and fiber in fruit, and the way the sugar is locked within the matrix of the whole fruit, thus creating less bouncing in blood sugar levels, it's not as easy to overeat fruit as, say, prime rib or pasta.

I don't think many MFPers watch their sugar intake. I don't. and besides, a simple carb from white bread is processed by your body the same as table sugar, so why pick on sugar? Enjoy your fruit, maintain a balanced diet and stay within your calorie allotment and you should do great.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    If you're planning to ignore the sugar grams anyway, you might want to replace that column in your diary with something else that you care about. If you click on settings from the Home or Food tab, you can change the nutrients you track (e.g., saturated fat, cholesterol, trans fat, sodium, potassium, etc.)
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It seems my tendency is to replace the processed sugars (from table sugar, rice, noodles etc) with the sugar from fruit. I find myself going overboard on fresh fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth (and often suffering from an immediate headache). This is something like replacing refined sugar with artificial sweeteners and our bodies failing to get the message that we are cutting back on sugar. Hopefully, those of you who have been at this some time will assure me that my craving for sweet will lessen soon. I have been at a plateau for a couple of weeks and I think my fresh fruit feasting may be the culprit since I have cut out almost all the "evil" sugar. I'm actually eating 500 cal/day less than my goal and still at a plateau. I guess as always, the bottom line of the fruit and sugar discussion is balance, right?
  • emalinemartin
    emalinemartin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I believe it and I know it's true. I'm well on my way living up the high carb / sugar lifestyle!

Freelee and Durainrider on YouTube for example... FWIW, take a look http://www.inspirawtion.com/Freelee.html (her YouTube videos she uploads are well worth the watch) & (excuse the profanity lol) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Le5qyD2fwk
    I watched that youtube video. In part of it the guy actually says that you can go get a PhD in Nutrition and never learn what he knows. The guy is a whack-job. He also says that he eats 2500 Calories per day, not an unlimited number. He's still completely nuts.

Good luck with this... but if you *do* eat an excess of calories from fruit, you *will* gain weight. That's just scientific fact. When you gain that weight, let us know and we can help you lose it.

I watched every single one of his videos - he eats an unlimited amount. He has 2,500cal smoothies for breakfast. Lol. Plain and simple. He comes across in a very non professional way but what he says is all truth.
    A health PhD says Im gonna die from protein and calcium deficiency and that we NEED it. They still teach that - Lol, us vegans should be all dead. Fruitatinas should be all dead. Have you seen Mimi Kirk? Shes in her 70's.
    Freelee (which is his girlfriend) ALSO follows the same diet. Have you seen her results from it?? It's remarkable and far more than what you see on the outside. Weight Loss and dieting should go beyond that.

You try and make this seem like it wont work and it's a bad idea without even trying or looking up the real results from doing this long term. Sorry not sorry, but that wont work. Just take a look at the long term fruitarians who do it right. Beautiful, slim, lean, HEALTHY. Simple as that. Forget what you "know" is right and explore other things. peace ✌
  • emalinemartin
    Options
    Fruit will not make you fat OR unhealthy. It just is not possible in any way, shape or form. Look at long term fruitarians eating as much fruit as they want in a day. Extremely LEAN & HEALTHY! Look up Dr. Doug Graham, Freelee, Durianrider, Mimi Kirk, Annette Larkins, Kristina Fully Raw, Chris Randall... need I say more?

not true. Eating too much of anything will make you overweight. because of the water and fiber in fruit, and the way the sugar is locked within the matrix of the whole fruit, thus creating less bouncing in blood sugar levels, it's not as easy to overeat fruit as, say, prime rib or pasta.

I don't think many MFPers watch their sugar intake. I don't. and besides, a simple carb from white bread is processed by your body the same as table sugar, so why pick on sugar? Enjoy your fruit, maintain a balanced diet and stay within your calorie allotment and you should do great.

Uh. Fruit makes you fat? Lol. Okay, if you say so. Have you even looked at those people I mentioned above? They're SO OBESE OMG!!!
  • emalinemartin
    Options
    Lol. We must agree to disagree folks. If you actually take a look into the raw fruitarian high carb lifestyle, you learn a lot. Don't give advice from what you believe. Make sure you have proof and facts to back it up.

✌ Peace
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Lol. We must agree to disagree folks. If you actually take a look into the raw fruitarian high carb lifestyle, you learn a lot. Don't give advice from what you believe. Make sure you have proof and facts to back it up.

✌ Peace
    we do... lots of it. Scientific studies. Lots of them. They're all over the internet, on reputable sites whose only purpose is to study and publish unbiased, factual information. not from a few random people on youtube.

There are plenty of health benefits from eating lots of fruits and vegetables. There are plenty of people who use it as a lifestyle successfully. Those people do not eat an unlimited amount of anything and stay thin. They just don't. Those are the facts. If you want to use these people as evidence that you can overeat all you want because you think you have found a magic food... then by all means, go for it. There are millions upon millions of people who are proof positive that there is no magic to weight loss and no magic food that you can eat to your heart's content without ever gaining weight. You will soon be one of those millions. Good luck.
  • emalinemartin
    Options

✌ Peace
    we do... lots of it. Scientific studies. Lots of them. They're all over the internet, on reputable sites whose only purpose is to study and publish unbiased, factual information. not from a few random people on youtube.

There are plenty of health benefits from eating lots of fruits and vegetables. There are plenty of people who use it as a lifestyle successfully. Those people do not eat an unlimited amount of anything and stay thin. They just don't. Those are the facts. If you want to use these people as evidence that you can overeat all you want because you think you have found a magic food... then by all means, go for it. There are millions upon millions of people who are proof positive that there is no magic to weight loss and no magic food that you can eat to your heart's content without ever gaining weight. You will soon be one of those millions. Good luck.

Ah. But you see, you don't even take time enough to see that the results are not just from people on YouTube. Research before telling me off about it. And sure they're thin. But healthy after years and months of restriction and dieting? Nope.

You do your thing. I'll do mine. Peace and best of luck anyways :)
  • 2BeAll3
    2BeAll3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No one finds themselves overweight due to an overindulgence of carrots and oranges!
    Enjoy those healthy natural foods girl!
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just started using this website on 10/6/13 (despite having registered for it ages ago) and am enjoying it very much. I am doing "okay" on food, at any rate I've made very good improvements compared to 10/5/13 and before.

One thing puzzles me: I rapidly use up my "sugar allotment" and go over it. I thought I was "fairly good" about watching what I eat, but if my daily allowance of sugar is any indicator, now I grumble at a serving of carrots due to how much sugar they have. Plain non-fat yogurt is a "glut" of sugar and fruit seems to be just out of the question.

But this leads me to the mathematical conclusion that "fruit is bad" due to how much sugar a serving of fresh fruit contains, on average.

Here are my questions:

1) Does this program steer you away from eating fresh fruit?

2) If your answer to 1) is yes, thank you, no further questions. If your answer is no, can you tell me what I might be doing "wrong" in terms of menu planning?

3) Should I just not worry about it and have one fruit per day since the fruit sugars = carbs anyway? Meaning worry more about the total carbs and cals and less about the sugar total?

There is some evidence that fructose is less healthy than glucose, so having your sugar be less fructose than glucose is a good idea. That's the entirety of the controversy about HFCS. Some fruits, like apples and peaches, are high in fructose compared to other, healthier, sugars. Other fruits, like berries and most citrus, are lower in fructose as compared to other sugars. But your body can't tell fructose in fruit from fructose in soda or other HFCS containing items. It does matter what fruits you choose. Apples are not a particularly good-for-you fruit, for example, due to a high percentage of fructose.

This looks like a handy guide to the different kinds of sugars in fruits.
    http://thepaleodiet.com/fruits-and-sugars/
  • emalinemartin
    Options
    No one finds themselves overweight due to an overindulgence of carrots and oranges!
    Enjoy those healthy natural foods girl!

Exactly!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Losing weight is about the number of calories you take in. You take in too much you will gain weight. You take in enough to hit your TDEE you will maintain. You take a reasonable amount below your TDEE you will lose weight. This goes for any foods that have calories. You eat too much of anything and you will gain weight. These "fruitarians" may look like they can eat as much as they want, but the truth probably is that they eat enough calories to stay at maintenance/ lose weight. The fiber in the fruits/veggies etc. is probably keeping them full and helping them not to overindulge. There really is nothing magic about it and congrats to them for choosing to do what they do, but I certainly won't be trying it any time soon.

OP don't worry about the fruit. Just keeping eating a healthy balanced diet. I personally can't have too much of any kind of sugar due to a skin condition but I still eat my fair amount.
  • golan22may
    Options
    I started on MFP a week ago. I have lost 1.7KG already. On my first day I did a diary and was a bit shocked an just how much I was eating. I noticed I was eating nearly a 1000 calories a day in fruit! Which is about 11 pieces of fruit. I reduced it to 5 or 6. Not sure if it is the fruit alone which was the culprit but I have made a good start on losing weight and wonder if binging on fruit was part of the problem.