Protein powder

Options
Jeeto115
Jeeto115 Posts: 48 Member
I realized that I was not getting enough protein my diet so decided to try Body Fortess chocolate protein powder. At first it was kind of unpleasant taste but I got use to it ( mixed in water only) ...now I bought a different brand, Garden of Life ( of course, it's chocolate flavor as well.) I have not tried it, just open it n it smells horrible! ( not sure if I can drink it....afraid to try it)

Anybody else tried this protein or both.. who can compare....maybe give me tips on how I can start liking Garden of Life protein.

Replies

• PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I noticed chocolate flavors of protein powders (the brands I tried anyway) smell rotten-ish. However when they are mixed up in a shake they are hardly noticable, especially if you use frozen bananas or PB (which have strong odors in their own right, so they tend to mask pretty well).
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you are open to suggestions, you can get a fair amount of protein from food sources:

1) Fish, e.g. salmon, tilapia and tuna and salmon.

2) Lean poultry like chicken or turkey.

3) Dairy like Greek yogurt or hard cheeses.

If you want to stick with protein powder, though, one brand that is highly rated is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Isolate. The vanilla flavor pairs well with a variety of things like milk, cocoa powder, honey and plain yogurt--just to name a few.

Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I haven't had any luck with chocolate protein powder...the taste is always "off" somehow. I always stick with vanilla. It's easier to add fruit, etc, to and it tastes MUCH better. If you're stuck on having something chocolate, I will occasionally mix in a little cocoa powder and a tiny bit of splenda. Hope this helps!:smile:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Isopure Dutch Chocolate, the best tasting protein powder I've ever tried hands down. When mixed with water, it tastes like delicious chocolate milk, I actually prefer the taste of it mixed with water over milk.
  • mjgo56
    mjgo56 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well, all those proteins sound expensive. I use EAS chocolate after I was unable to find Jillian Michael's protein powder at Walmart. I don't mix with water though, I mix with 8 oz of fat free milk and make a smoothie with frozen pineapple, strawberries, blue berries, 1/2 banana. I use frozen fruits (except for the banana) and I love it! Fruits are low cal and give me the fiber I need. I don't think I would like any protein with water only.:drinker:
  • RawLau
    RawLau Posts: 2
    Options
    How do you know you are not getting enough protein??

Almost all people get way too much protein from their diet when all we really need is about 5-8% of our calories to come from protein. Getting too much protein (as little as 12% if it is coming from animal sources) can be attributed to a long list of health problems including early onset of physical aging, heart disease, diabetes, dementia, and even cancer. Not to mention that excess protein in your body is stored as fat! We can get all the protein we need from a diet of just fruits and vegetables. An assortment of veggies will give you about 10% of your calories from protein and without any of the negative side effects!

Check out this book for more information and for some plant-based protein packed smoothie recipes.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHGILZK/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
  • weightlossforbrian
    weightlossforbrian Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    1 banana
    2 table spoons of peanut butter
    some ice
    some water
    1 or 2 scoop of GNC amplified wheybolic extreme 60 chocolate

put it all in the blender in no specific order and let it rip.

The gnc amplified whey extreme 60 is 20g of protein a scoop.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Almost all people get way too much protein from their diet when all we really need is about 5-8% of our calories to come from protein. Getting too much protein (as little as 12% if it is coming from animal sources) can be attributed to a long list of health problems including early onset of physical aging, heart disease, diabetes, dementia, and even cancer. Not to mention that excess protein in your body is stored as fat! We can get all the protein we need from a diet of just fruits and vegetables. An assortment of veggies will give you about 10% of your calories from protein and without any of the negative side effects!

Check out this book for more information and for some plant-based protein packed smoothie recipes.

This is the most ridiculous post I have ever seen in these forums and I've been on here for a while. Protein recommendations are actually underestimates. Increased protein is not linked to the health problems that you listed, and I'd like you to offer up some sources for this information...
  • weightlossforbrian
    weightlossforbrian Posts: 38 Member
    Options

This is the most ridiculous post I have ever seen in these forums and I've been on here for a while. Protein recommendations are actually underestimates. Increased protein is not linked to the health problems that you listed, and I'd like you to offer up some sources for this information...

QFT!
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options

What is this? Why do i see this stuff all the time from people on these forums what total bs.
  • x3mPR
    x3mPR Posts: 3
    Options
    Put some strawberries and blueberries in it =)
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Coming from a poster who, according to the picture, is eating a protein bar!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I realized that I was not getting enough protein my diet so decided to try Body Fortess chocolate protein powder. At first it was kind of unpleasant taste but I got use to it ( mixed in water only) ...now I bought a different brand, Garden of Life ( of course, it's chocolate flavor as well.) I have not tried it, just open it n it smells horrible! ( not sure if I can drink it....afraid to try it)

Anybody else tried this protein or both.. who can compare....maybe give me tips on how I can start liking Garden of Life protein.

get the six star brand it is way better if you can afford it go with Optimum Nutrition or cellucor
  • James_Bergin
    James_Bergin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Not agreeing with the post you're critiquing, and not suggesting people take health advice from television, but the BBC had a short documentary on a while ago (Horizon ep.3?) that looked at intermittent fasting. Alongside some research out of Harvard (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein-full-story/) the evidence seems to be that we actually really don't fully understand the effects that protein overabundancy or deficiency have for the human body in the long-run.

Despite what you say, protein recommendations are generally not underestimates, at least not in Canada or Europe where these things are regulated heavily; they in fact (at least in these places) are reasonably accurate for the average person. Also, despite what you say, having too much protein in your system, chronically, is correlated to a number of adverse health outcomes.

That being said, I think you're right to point out that protein deficiency is a serious problem as well.

My point, we know there are good and bad aspects to both consuming too much, and too little protein. These are facts. We don't fully understand how or why this is the case, and we don't yet have a good picture of many of the other health issues related to protein consumption. Don't attack someone else's comment when there is a clear and abundant amount of research which directly contradicts your criticism; especially when the the study of the area your debating is still largely uncertain.
  • bjstru
    bjstru Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I supplement my daily food intake with Garden of life Raw protein (original). The smell and color leave something to be desired upon however mixing it myself keeps me from king smoothie. Whey protein and I just dont mesh well. Soy protein is a no-no.

1-2 scoops of raw protein mix
    140grams of kroger mixed frozen fruit
    4-8 ounces of pineapple juice (organic)

this works for me.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I mix my protein powder in non-fat milk and enjoy the treat that feels like I'm cheating. Have used Fitness Labs whey powder (couple of levels of protein available) and currently use Beverly Muscle Provider-even better.