I'm looking for an excercise routine for BEGINNERS ????

Options
I have been on here for a few weeks now. I've been trying to get a handle on my food. I haven't started excercising yet. I've done some walking, but not really a routine. I'm looking fo something that I can do AS A BEGINNER that will not discourage me or be too much for me. (I have questionable knees). I have an eliptical, but can do literally less than 5 mins before I'm out of breath and then my hips hurt for 2 days. :angry:

Can you reccomend something that isn't expensive and a good beginning point? I'd really appreciate it!!

Have a fantastic day! Thanks in advance for your opinions. :happy:

Replies

• nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried- Walk Away The Pounds? It is a good work out and you can make it as easy or hard as you like. She uses weights on some of them, I never have and still get a great work out. She has videos that are 1 mile up to 5 miles- check it out!! :bigsmile:
  • tinybiny0515
    Options
    I seriously recommend Pilates. I too have bad knees and need to be careful. I bought all the Pilates DVD's years ago and it was non-stressful to my knees. It basically targets the areas that you really want to work on. When I used the DVD's (notice the past tense lol) it really did work! Now that I'm talking about it, I'll probably whip them back out! :o)

I don't know what kind of cable you have for your TV, but I know on mine I have an "On Demand" that has a fitness section that even has free Pilates workouts. I've found myself watching them, now I just need to work out to them. lol

Hope this information helps!
  • sarahshak
    sarahshak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do have a solution! I'm an aquatics aerobic instructor and water aerobics is the perfect way to slide into fitness without out pain. Try to find classes in your area and begin slowly and take it easy until you know how your body will react. Many people in our programs have gotten fit and lost tons of weight. Water provides and safe environment and at the same time wonderful resistance. I hope you can find a pool near your. Try the YMCAs or just call around to gyms in the area.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try the Biggest Loser videos! They have modified versions of every exercise. I love it. It works up a good sweat, but I can still function the next day!
  • Szycuez
    Szycuez Posts: 28
    Options
    Tai Chi, Yoga & Water Aerobics are all great for beginners and people who easily get in pain.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I do have a solution! I'm an aquatics aerobic instructor and water aerobics is the perfect way to slide into fitness without out pain. Try to find classes in your area and begin slowly and take it easy until you know how your body will react. Many people in our programs have gotten fit and lost tons of weight. Water provides and safe environment and at the same time wonderful resistance. I hope you can find a pool near your. Try the YMCAs or just call around to gyms in the area.

I have done water aerobics, its a great workout without the impact
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Walk aerobics is awesome!!! Leslie Sansone is my favorite. I have to stick to low-impact exercise as I have rheumatoid arthritis, and I can totally do these! You wouldn't think something like walk aerobics would burn much, but man I work up a sweat big time, and I absolutely love it! I don't know if you have comcast cable or not, but if you do, they have it On Demand under the sports and fitness channel. (after you click sports & fitness, click "exercise tv" and then "walking") If you don't, they do sell her dvd's and they're very reasonably priced -- or the library should have them, too!! :-)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Try the beginner circuit training work-out on nerdfitness.com - You can modify it however you like to make it easiest for you and you don't need any equipment! I make it a bit more challenging, since I've been exercising a while, but you can certainly lay-off a bit and work your way up. I love it :)
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Why dont you try simply walking =] start with a mile and just add on more distance when you get comfortable...
  • ladyashley81
    ladyashley81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started out a few weeks ago just walking 30 minutes at a reasonable pace (faster than just walking to the mailbox speed) and did that three times a week. Just this week I have added in two additional walking days, for a total of 5 per week. But, that was after several weeks of walking three times a week. I think starting out pretty slowly and gradually incorporating more is the best thing. Your body can take it a little better. I also have bad knees, so I can't handle running or high impact aerobics. But, just since I have started logging my food and exercise on this site (a week now, wahoo!) I have lost almost 2 lbs. It just goes to show that it pays to just get out there and move it, doesn't have to be fancy, and doesn't have to cost a thing!

That would be my advice, but there are many other great programs that I am sure others will inform you of. Just find what works for you and stick with it. :) Best of luck!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I agree with the walking. You don't need special shoes or clothes or a gym. You just get your butt out there every day and walk. Work your way up to 30 minutes, then walk a little faster until you breath hard the whole time. You don't need to have instructors or trainers. You really can get started walking. Got a dog or a friend to bring with you? Better yet! Or a mp3 player or small radio with headphones. When you feel more fit you can see if you want to do something more intense, but can still keep up the walking.
  • jpg7n16
    Options
    For weights: Try "Biggest Loser - Power Sculpt"

It was much easier than other weight lifting DVDs - I use more difficult ones, cause I found it too easy. Probably means it's very good for a beginner. Plus it's broken down into I believe 20 minute segments, letting you build up to the whole thing over time.

Record how far you got, and try to go a bit further/harder next time.

For cardio: Keep up the walking!

Try and improve a few different ways. Either -

1) Walk more often (2 days, 3 days, etc.)
    2) Walk longer times (10 mins, 20 mins, etc.)
    3) Walk longer distances (.25 miles, 1 mile, etc.)

Just record in a notebook what you did. And each week try and improve a bit on one category. And give yourself time :)

Or look into swimming - as the water relieves a lot of the pressure from your joints. Find some criteria, (1 lap, 5 laps, etc.) and just work on slow steady improvement over time.

You should be doing both weights and cardio to get the most benefit. Like switch every other day (M: Walk, Tu: weights, W:rest, Th:walk, F:weights, Sat:walk/rest, Sun:rest), or do 1 weights session for every 2 cardio sessions. (walk, walk, weights, walk, walk, weights, rest)
  • cjemtegaard
    Options
    I also like the biggest loser DVD's...another great one I found was pilates for plus-size or even the good old classic Richard Simmon's Sweating to the Oldies or any of his others. I have been getting them through my local library to try them out first before committing to buying them. I also throw in plenty of walks. But just always do what you can and try to improve the slightest bit every time. Before you know it...you will be truckin along!! :smile:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i love to put my mp3 on full blast and just dance around the room, when no one is home of course! pretty soon you will be working up a sweat and it is a ton of fun if you love to dance. sometimes i will make up my own moves or use jazzercise moves, i love jazzercise by the way also and it is pretty low impact but the mp3 thing is free and easy
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I thought about this and haven't done it yet..either youtube music or mp3/ipod music you can dance..or you can do some self kickboxing exercises. Just throw in some punches and kicks (at any speed) and you can really burn some calories that way. It's up to you. :)
  • terim3006
    terim3006 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My knees are not questionable, they are downright shot! Reconstructive surgery on both. This is the 2nd time in my life I have really worked to lose weight. I am 56. Walking has been my main exercise both times. The time before this when I lost 65 pounds (I haven't gained it all back but I needed to get busy cuz I was getting there) I also rode my exercise bike. Start slow. I walk on my breaks or I walk in the evening. I have set my profile to try to get in 15 min. of exercise a day. Most of the time I walk 15 min. twice. so it is a boost to me to be "over acheiving." If I only walk once a day, I don't beat myself up. I have had to work slowly at increasing my speed on the treadmill. Otherwise, one of my knees starts screaming at me. 2.8 to 3.0 mph for 15-17 minutes will get you 65 or so calories. At first I could only go 2.5 mph and it took about 20 minutes. I have lost every week plus I have a desk job and work 40 hours from home. Sorry this is lengthy. Just trying to help.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I agree with others who have said Leslie Sansones walk at home videos. They are low impact, easy to follow, but still give you a good workout. You can also up the intensity as you go along so you can continue improving.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Walking: start with the aim of doing 120bpm. walk 5 mins out and 5 mins back. when you are comfortable add 2.5 mins in stages as you improve. When you can do 30 total mins of walking, work on increasing the bpm. Consider the C25K program when you get to walking at 130bpm.

Step aerobics: There are plenty of videos on youtube. You can do them without a step to start out with.

Pay attention to how your body feels. Adjust any work out accordingly.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Try the beginner circuit training work-out on nerdfitness.com - You can modify it however you like to make it easiest for you and you don't need any equipment! I make it a bit more challenging, since I've been exercising a while, but you can certainly lay-off a bit and work your way up. I love it :)

i'm going to look that one up...i've used http://www.freetrainers.com/ if the exercizes scare you, google the muscle group that excercise targets and get a different one...that's what i did to modify my program
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options

i'm going to look that one up...i've used http://www.freetrainers.com/ if the exercizes scare you, google the muscle group that excercise targets and get a different one...that's what i did to modify my program

I did it today, actually! Added in crunches, weighted shoulder press, and some dumbbell snatches to make it a more extensive workout. Three sets and my whole body was feeling it! Definitely broke a sweat. Enjoy :bigsmile: