Grocery store granola bars that are okay for you?

Options
I do purchase many specialty "bars" that are clean like quest bars, larabars, etc... i try to avoid eating them too often none the less. anyway i was wondering are there any from the grocery store that are as good as possible. In terms of having less ingredients and sugar. Any suggestions?

Replies

• FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The only ones I'll eat are Quest bars, which is a total pain (I live in Germany and can't get them here). But most of the others have quite a bit of sugar and I've figured out that, for me, eating almonds or a hard-boiled egg or a Babybel cheese (or two) is much better than eating the "healthy" bars.
    It's hard finding good, portable food. From the research I've done, though, Quest bars are the best (by far) if you're going to eat a bar.
  • neenie122
    Options
    I like Kind Bars.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like Kind Bars.

this.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Larabars are the only ones I eat, but they have them at the grocery store here, luckily. And Whole Foods recently had a 50% off case sale, so I'm stocked up for a while... Plus I try to limit the Larabars too and only use them for emergencies.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I love Quest Bars High Protein,High Fiber. No Sugar.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Clif chocolate chip granola bars (1) as a "treat" once in a while (they get a C+ with fooduacte - get that app!). I really like the EAS lean mint bar - like eating candy with protein but they only get a C - lots of sugar.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I like Kind Bars.

this.

Me three. I go for the ones that have a tiny bit more protein and fiber and less sugar...the ones I like the best are the Dark Chocolate, Nuts and Sea Salt. 200 cal, 6g of protein, 7g of fiber, 15g of fat (but basically all from nuts, so "good" fats) and 5g of sugar. Would never call them a "protein bar" by any stretch but they're an excellent on-the-go breakfast with a piece of fruit.

But, really, I like them because they're the first of that sort of bar that I've tried that doesn't taste fake. Even stuff like Larabars where they only have 5 or 6 ingredients and it's all good stuff, they just have a weird texture and taste nothing like what's advertised. The Kind bars just taste like what they say they'll taste like, no weird aftertaste or anything. A little pricey, but you can get them in bulk on Amazon for cheaper.
  • daphneC94
    Options
    okay so what im getting from this is that there are none. aha! its also a pain for me to get quest bars as i live in canada. i have to order them online but kind and larabars are easy to find here
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Larabars and Kind bars are your best bet. All the others are pretty much glorified candy bars (well, except Quest bars). Most are good though, and fine if you fit them in your calories (heck I had a fiber one bar today).
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I look for low sugar and whole grains. Kashi and South Beach bars work for me.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi bars for quick snacks. My favorite is the peanutty dark chocolate. But I do agree that they are basically just fancy candy bars.

Or be like Homer and have some Powersauce! :laugh:
    5f16_powersauce.jpg

A bushel of apples packed into each bar, plus a secret ingredient that unleashes the awesome power of apples!
  • xSTx
    xSTx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Where in Canada do you live? there are quite a few places that sell Quest bars. Popeyes has a huge selection,Muscle beach and apparently GNC will be or do carry them.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed the Clif Honey Oat bars. I usually have one everyday with the rest of my lunch. Definitely better than eating a Milky Way or Snickers!
  • tiffanydavey
    tiffanydavey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you can get to bulk barn they have a crazy amount of bars. They might be able to order them in for you.
  • daphneC94
    Options
    oh i didnt know some gnc sold quest bars? I live in toronto
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    natures valley granola thins crispy squares and dark chocolate squares..those things are the bomb, and only about 80 calories per square....