Brooks Ghost mens vs womens

Options
I am in desperate need of new running shoes, but as a single mom, I'm having a hard time spending the money I need to on myself for new running shoes. I was fitted at a running store last year and have been loving my Brooks Ghost running shoes. I was looking at an ad today and Brooks Ghost for men running shoes were on sale (not at an athletic store). They have the Brooks Ladies' Pure Flow 2 and the Brooks Ladies' Glycerin 11 on sale also.

Does anyone know how the Ghost mens compares to womens or how the Pure Flow or Glycerin compares to the Ghost?

Thanks,

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Love Brooks. But what someone says about how a shoe fits their foot may mean nothing in comparison to your foot and stride. Either go back to the store and get fit again or, at least, try this: http://www.brooksrunning.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-BrooksRunning-Site/Sites-BrooksRunning-Library/default/brooks_shoe_advisor/Default.htm

Also, remember that the money you spend on a good pair of shoes is much less than your insurance deductible and/or co-pays when you go to the doctor to treat your leg injuries.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Ghost or glycerin but pure flows are minimalist shoes and I love mine. I have 2 pairs of pure flow 2's
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Try: www.shoebuy.com I don't know what Brooks shoes usually cost but I've found some good deals there.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I was recently fitted for running shoes and went with the ghost. Unfortunately, I wear a ladies 13 so I have to buy men's sneakers. I have a pretty narrow foot so I have to lace them really tight and back lace the last eyelet. I also use inserts which help. They are super comfortable!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I am in desperate need of new running shoes, but as a single mom, I'm having a hard time spending the money I need to on myself for new running shoes. I was fitted at a running store last year and have been loving my Brooks Ghost running shoes. I was looking at an ad today and Brooks Ghost for men running shoes were on sale (not at an athletic store). They have the Brooks Ladies' Pure Flow 2 and the Brooks Ladies' Glycerin 11 on sale also.

Does anyone know how the Ghost mens compares to womens or how the Pure Flow or Glycerin compares to the Ghost?

Thanks,

Men's shoes will fit slightly differently - typically a little wider with a different arch placement. You really need to try them on and see, or if ordering online make sure they have a good return policy. The Pure Flow is going to be more minimal in cushioning and less offset from heel to toe. It will promote more of a midfoot to forefoot strike. But it's not something you can just jump in to. You need to gradually transition to a shoe like that. The Glycerin is a more cushioned shoe than the Ghost, also bulkier.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    With lots of running shoes, brooks especially, you can get the prior release of the shoe cheaper than the newest release. e.g. Ghost 5 vs Ghost 6. Try googling around at places like runningwarehouse.com or roadrunnersports.com or even the brand's own site. It's best to hit them right after the new release though.

As for the fit difference between men's and women's, I've found men's to be wider, especially in the toebox and not as snug the way I like them. Shoe's are always something I must try on before buying, even if its trying on in-store and then buying the same model cheaper somewhere online.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm hoping to go pick them up this next week. I had wanted to get refitted by a running store when I bought my next pair just to double check the fit, but I'm more interested in the price at the moment. Maybe after Christmas I can be fitted again.

I'm really looking forward to a new pair, though!