Probiotics and bloat reduction?

Options
So someone told me a good probiotic can help with bloating and water retention from sodium. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Love to hear what you all think...

Replies

• Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've recently started a daily probiotic. I can't say yet that it's helped with either. I was hoping it would help with regularity. I haven't noticed it helping there either. May up my dose and see if anything happens.
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking a hot tea that has probiotics, and when I drink it I feel like I do use the bathroom more and feel much better. I am guessing it's the tea..
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person.

There are some people who respond well to probiotics - particularly if you suffer regularly from stomach problems.

Me personally, I can't eat anything with probiotics in, gives me crippling stomach cramps.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I use a daily probiotic, but not to aid in weight loss or anything like that. I have IBS and if I don't take one, it's not a good situation!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Probiotics help clean your gut and aid in digestion. To reduce bloating, drink more water, so you do not retain water.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've taken a daily probiotic for almost a year now. I don't know if it's anecdotal or a placebo effect, but I get sick a lot less since taking them. My doctor actually recommended them after I kept catching cold after cold.

I don't notice any change in my digestion though.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20051107/good-bacteria-good-for-colds
  • CountryStrongNicole
    Options
    I drink a LOT of water every day but I still respond to salt just terribly. If I go over at all I can hold 6 pounds by the next morning. And if I am in a situation that there is extra salt for a few days in a row... I have seen 15 lbs up of water in a couple days. BUT then it will take a week or more to come back off. Seems like I am always just fighting water retention. I do watch my potassium levels too.
  • jamaicanmircrzy
    jamaicanmircrzy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Kambucha is a great way to get your probiotics. If you haven't heard of it check out this website I included in my post. Probiotics are a great way to regulate the flora in your gut. Whenever I feel bloated, blocked up or if I go overboard on food and feel the classic "food hangover" the next day I drink a couple of these and within 24 hours I feel much better!

A lot of people either love it or hate it mainly because it is a fermented type drink and it uses sugar during the fermenting process but as the website states "there will be about 2-3 grams per 8 ounce glass. By contrast, an 8 ounce glass of orange juice has about 24g of sugar. Natural carrot juices have 13g per 8 ounces." So it shouldn't be something that breaks your day.

You can find them at most natural/whole food grocers and they have lots of different kinds! My favorite is strawberry. Try it out and see if it works for you! :)

http://beyondkombucha.com/about/what-is-kombucha/
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe there is a connection. I've had comstipation, bad gas, bloating and stomach pain for years. My symptoms are much better when I take probiotics. I eat a lot of plain yogurt too.

Some say there is a connection to yeast in your gut that grows if you don't have enough good bacteria. The yeast causes a fermentaion reaction which causes gas to be given off, hence the bloat.

I don't know exactly what my problem is, but it's much better with regular probiotic use. And believe me, everyone arounds me thinks so too!