Its Thanksgiving this weekend & I've GOT this!

Well, this weekend is our Canadian Thanksgiving and I’m going to one meal and hosting another…plus next weekend is my hubby’s birthday. That’s three social meals before my next weigh in!

Christmas is around the corner… and I need to wrap my head around this!

This is part of life and these gatherings are important to me. I don’t want to be so overwhelmed by all the tempting sinful foods that I end up feeling like I should avoid the holiday seasons and time spent with loved ones!

After all, it’s about keeping that healthy balance and not becoming so obsessed that I end up sacrificing important things!

Food does not control me! I control my food!

Here’s my plan…

I will keep moving… if that means taking my company out for a long walk or playing music and dancing around them… anything to keep me moving!!
I will continue to eat healthy… I won’t be holding out for that big meal – because the plan will be to NOT sit down at that table feeling hungry!!
I will be in charge of my choices... small plate for me please, no drowning my food in gravy!
I’ll take just a small taste of the higher calorie foods and fill up on the proteins and greens!
I will allow a small dessert – just for a taste and consume an insane amount of water!

Most of all, I will love being with all my family!!!

I've GOT this! :glasses:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! :wink:

Replies

• preciousme150
    preciousme150 Posts: 119 Member
    Excellent plan and even more excellent attitude...
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    silly Canadians having Thanksgiving on Columbus Day :wink:
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Sounds like a great plan.

We are hosting so at least I will know what is going into everything and I can try to lighten things up without people knowing (although my brother will be happy for that since he is always into fitness and health).

I was going through recipes finding desserts for Thanksgiving. I definitely have to get a workout in earlier in the day since I'm going to be making some super yummy things.

I will be going for small portions this year. No plate full of food drowned in gravy. I find if I eat huge portions anymore that I feel awful afterwards anyway so that is a good reason to not stuff myself.
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    This is part of life and these gatherings are important to me. I don’t want to be so overwhelmed by all the tempting sinful foods that I end up feeling like I should avoid the holiday seasons and time spent with loved ones!

After all, it’s about keeping that healthy balance, not become so obsessed that I end up sacrificing important things!

Food does not control me! I control my food!

Here’s my plan…

I will keep moving… if that means taking my company out for a long walk or playing music and dancing around them… anything to keep me moving!!
    I will continue to eat healthy… I won’t be holding out for that big meal – because the plan will be to NOT sit down at that table feeling hungry!!
    I will be in charge of my choices... small plate for me please, no drowning my food in gravy!
    I’ll take just a small taste of the higher calorie foods and fill up on the proteins and greens!
    I will allow a small dessert – just for a taste and consume an insane amount of water!

I love your plan! I will be looking at this in a few weeks, it will help me manage the holiday gatherings, too! Thanks for sharing.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Good luck!
    Move + portion control and I bet you'll be just fine :)
  • GinnySeedsSkogen
    GinnySeedsSkogen Posts: 2 Member
    Sounds like a great plan, I have been a bit concerned about all the holidays coming up. I like your plan and attitude, and plan to follow suite.
  • ardithann5
    ardithann5 Posts: 26 Member
    eeekkk have not even thought of Thanksgiving ahhahahaha and I nibble all week on that one .. have 3 kids that have families and my Son the Sgt Moose will be home in his house with new family ... need my daughter to bring one of her fab salads and I will eat just that .. someone start slaping my fingers hahahahahaha go team go....
  • Well I'm from South Africa and we don't have any big holidays until Christmas. I'm worried however, since we'll be visiting family out of town for 5 days - and I will probably not have much control over what I eat and will not get even close to my regular exercise.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Yup - I am hosting a small group - my family of f4 and my folks. So I will control what goes into everything - you know all the extras (like butter and whipping cream in the mashed potatoes). I will be having a big plate, but I am going to make a HUGE garden salad and that will make up half of it. I will chew gum while prepping (as that prevents the tasting/nibbles) and I am cooking a turkey breast rather than the whole turkey.

I am going to set a beautiful table in my dining room and go for presentation over fat! I will dazzle them with my delicious "healthified" thanksgiving feast. They wont even know what they are missing.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Fabulous plan!

We are traveling to Florida to my mother in-law's for Thanksgiving this year. She's going to expect me to eat A LOT I am sure. Nope, not gonna happen. She does amazing green beans and asparagus along with turkey and everything else. She does really good cranberry comopote too. She always makes WAY too much of everything, but it's going to be ok.

Top that with the first 2 weeks of November I am traveling for work. First week I am in Louisville, KY and the next week I will be in Chicago, IL. Talk about temptations in food!!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    I like to follow the weight watchers recommendation, which kind of follows along with yours. (: It's 1/2 vegetables, 1/4 protein, and 1/4 whatever-you-want on your plate. It worked out really well for Thanksgiving last year, and I didn't feel at all deprived.
  • DonnetteWinter
    DonnetteWinter Posts: 17 Member
    I'm loving the feedback from everyone!! :heart: :smile:
  • quiltchickie
    quiltchickie Posts: 50 Member
    I like to follow the weight watchers recommendation, which kind of follows along with yours. (: It's 1/2 vegetables, 1/4 protein, and 1/4 whatever-you-want on your plate. It worked out really well for Thanksgiving last year, and I didn't feel at all deprived.

LOVE this advice. :) A bit worried our Thanksgiving AND Christmas this year. Hopin' I don't fall off the wagon. lol
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    I am NOT going to deprive myself for Thanksgiving...I will just eat the foods that I most want..for example, I like stuffing and I can take or leave mashed potatoes, soooo I will leave it. Fill up on the veggies first, then work my way down. I will workout up until T-day and perhaps eat lighter the rest of the week so I can eat more that day. Hell, it is one day and as long as you aren't gluttonous I say, enjoy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Check Skinnytaste.com for healthy recipes for when you're hosting, it should help.