Macro Nutrients

Options
Hey Folks

I've been on my journey for 3 years. Got to goal (130 lbs) and have now put 14lbs back on. Mainly due to a reduction in exercise as I'm now studing as well as working full time and looking after hubby and 2 kids...

I was exercising 7 - 9 hrs per week. Mainly step and spin classes, and some ad hoc cycling. I'm now down to around 3 classes per week since my face is constantly in textbooks, and will be for another 2 and half years.

My question is this. I've battled with this 14lbs now since Christmas last year. And it never seems to go anywhere. I log pretty much everything but I'm finding when I go over on protein or carbs, I lose the will, and admit defeat and screw myself up by comfort eating.

Can anyone on here who does about the same amount of exercise advise if you follow the carb/protein/fat allocation to the letter, or do you mainly focus on the 1200 calories per day regardless of the others?

I look forward to your advice, thank you.

Michelle

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I really look at the MFP macro numbers as goals, not limits, so going over doesn't bother me. I also don't look at them as number targets, but percentage targets. If my macro percentages are on target for the week, I don't worry about individual days. If you have an iOS or Android device you can view a pie chart of your macros for the day or week and see where they stand.

I would never see going over on a macro as a failure (unless I am eating way too much of one at the expense of the others).
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I lose wight when I make healthy choices and eat enough foods to nourish my body. I'll keep it off because I'm not eating so little that i'm starving my body (even if I don't feel hungry),

I usually exercise anywhere from 3-6 hours a week. and I try to eat more when I do. Currently not finding a lot of time to exercise, but that is changing hopefully this week.

I love protein. Protein is yummy. You're not gonna get fat over eating protein unless it's fatty protein. Same with carbs, unless it's tons of pasta and bread, you're not gonna get fat. But if you are not eating that stuff and then you do, you will gain a little. Better to not cut it out.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I lose wight when I make healthy choices and eat enough foods to nourish my body. I'll keep it off because I'm not eating so little that i'm starving my body (even if I don't feel hungry),

I usually exercise anywhere from 3-6 hours a week. and I try to eat more when I do. Currently not finding a lot of time to exercise, but that is changing hopefully this week.

I love protein. Protein is yummy. You're not gonna get fat over eating protein unless it's fatty protein. Same with carbs, unless it's tons of pasta and bread, you're not gonna get fat. But if you are not eating that stuff and then you do, you will gain a little. Better to not cut it out.

Not sure if you are serious. Eating in surplus above your caloric maintenance will lead to weight gain. Eating in a deficit below your caloric maintenance will lead to weight loss. Calories in vs calories out. If over-eating protein leads to a caloric surplus, you will gain weight. There is nothing magical about eating lean protein that will not lead to weight gain. Over-eating carbs that isn't pasta or bread will lead to the same result.

For the OP. It you are focusing on weight loss, overall calories matter most. What the above poster "might" have been trying to imply is that if you are over on one macro, but still within a caloric deficit, you will continue to lose weight. Again, focus on calories for general weight gain/loss. Focus on macros for body composition.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I find I do much better on days I go over protein. It tends to keep me fuller longer. As stated the macros are goals not absolutes.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Holy broscience batman. That's not how it works.....
  • NearlyThere2011
    NearlyThere2011 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :happy: Always a difference of opinion, and I really really appreciate all of you taking time out to offer me advice and guidance.

I'll stick with the 1200 cals per day, and not worry too much if I go slightly over on proteins and carb (i do try my absolute best to remain within the fats limits and do better at this one than the carbs and proteins ones..)

Scale looking a little better today ( and heading back towards the 140lbs mark... :bigsmile: I'll stick with it...

It has to go sometime right? :wink:

Thanks all..
  • NearlyThere2011
    NearlyThere2011 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I really look at the MFP macro numbers as goals, not limits, so going over doesn't bother me. I also don't look at them as number targets, but percentage targets. If my macro percentages are on target for the week, I don't worry about individual days. If you have an iOS or Android device you can view a pie chart of your macros for the day or week and see where they stand.

I would never see going over on a macro as a failure (unless I am eating way too much of one at the expense of the others).

Loving the goal versus limit thing.. :wink: thank you..
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Not sure if you are serious. Eating in surplus above your caloric maintenance will lead to weight gain. Eating in a deficit below your caloric maintenance will lead to weight loss. Calories in vs calories out. If over-eating protein leads to a caloric surplus, you will gain weight. There is nothing magical about eating lean protein that will not lead to weight gain. Over-eating carbs that isn't pasta or bread will lead to the same result.

For the OP. It you are focusing on weight loss, overall calories matter most. What the above poster "might" have been trying to imply is that if you are over on one macro, but still within a caloric deficit, you will continue to lose weight. Again, focus on calories for general weight gain/loss. Focus on macros for body composition.

Your post is correct, but I don't think his is necessarily wrong either, in so much that if someone is currently at a static weight (as the OP has apparently been since Christmas) eating a varied diet that they find filling, it'd be tough to create a caloric surplus if they're eating more lean meat and vegetables (both of which are satiating and not very calorically dense). Assuming they're not gorging themselves until they feel sick/eating past satiety, they're likely eating more protein/veg at the expense of something else.

In the situation where your goal is 100g of protein, eating 120g of lean protein versus 120g of fatty protein, many people would experience similar satiety, but the latter would come with a far more significant calorie load.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Why would you even say something as ludicrous as that? That is just complete and utter BS!!!

And where exactly does "fatty protein" come from?
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Sorry, I couldn't get past your profile pic :love: Wow! ... Okay, carry on :smile:
  • dieselbyte
    Options

Your post is correct, but I don't think his is necessarily wrong either, in so much that if someone is currently at a static weight (as the OP has apparently been since Christmas) eating a varied diet that they find filling, it'd be tough to create a caloric surplus if they're eating more lean meat and vegetables (both of which are satiating and not very calorically dense). Assuming they're not gorging themselves until they feel sick/eating past satiety, they're likely eating more protein/veg at the expense of something else.

In the situation where your goal is 100g of protein, eating 120g of lean protein versus 120g of fatty protein, many people would experience similar satiety, but the latter would come with a far more significant calorie load.

I respect your answer, but either the poster really has no idea about nutrition, or over simplified their answer to the point where it was misleading and not helpful. If you read it for what it is, the post is terrible.
  • dieselbyte
    Options

Sorry, I couldn't get past your profile pic :love: Wow! ... Okay, carry on :smile:

Lol. Thank you for the compliment!!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I respect your answer, but either the poster really has no idea about nutrition, or over simplified their answer to the point where it was misleading and not helpful. If you read it for what it is, the post is terrible.

I respect the way you answered BOTH posts :blushing: :laugh:
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

No arguments here. It could have been written much better. I was trying to discern his intent, is all - and, for what it's worth, I may have been incorrect.
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Lol. Thank you for the compliment!!

The pleasure was ALL mine :wink: lol