SORE...

Options
I have had two pretty intense interval training workouts the past two days and today is my running day (supposed to be Week 5-Day 1 of C25K). I am SO sore and am debating making it a rest day. Almost every muscle in my body is killing me, but I HATE to skip a running day and will be a little behind with my schedule.

Anyone else have the exercise blues like this every once in a while? I guess it's a great problem to have?!

Replies

• jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    YES! And honestly, I say take a rest day. You know you can get back on the horse tomorrow, or not take a rest day on Friday or whatever day is your planned rest day. When I'm super sore, I'm worried I'm going to hurt myself if I try to go balls out on a workout. I take those days and make sure I stretch a lot, maybe do something light like go for a walk (or not, don't worry too much), and use my foam roller.

I set exercise goals for myself like 5x a week, and then let my body tell me when my rest days are as needed.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    The more you workout, the less sore you'll eventually be after working out.
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    Awesome, thanks so much! I see that you're a runner and we are the same age :)

Would you do three days of 5k training in a row? The way my schedule has worked out this week (if I take a rest day today) will force me to do my three running days in a row later this week. Opinion? Good or bad idea?
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    The more you workout, the less sore you'll eventually be after working out.

Yes, I agree. I workout (and have been for months) 5-6 times per week. I haven't been this sore in over a month! These workouts were the same as previous just more intense and worked new muscle groups.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    At the very least, do a "recovery" workout - perhaps a shorter run than usual, or at a slower pace. Getting those muscles moving will warm them up and help them be less sore. If you do nothing, you'll be even more sore tomorrow.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Would you do three days of 5k training in a row? The way my schedule has worked out this week (if I take a rest day today) will force me to do my three running days in a row later this week. Opinion? Good or bad idea?

Just slip your schedule one day rather than run 3 days in a row. 1 day shouldn't affect your programme much and you need recovery time.
  • Anastasie
    Anastasie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    At the very least, do a "recovery" workout - perhaps a shorter run than usual, or at a slower pace. Getting those muscles moving will warm them up and help them be less sore. If you do nothing, you'll be even more sore tomorrow.

This was what I was thinking as well.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I agree with what others have said! Maybe do part of the third day run or take it a bit slower than you normally would. If you go a day behind or end up a week behind on C25k, I wouldn't worry too much. I didn't follow a program when I started running, but I started SUPER slow. And after being the chubby kid who can't run my entire life, that's how I finally got running to work for me :)